Making a small pond in the garden ?

Found 25th Jun
What would I need to do this...

make a hole...

add the pond liner and underlay

add some stones at the side

if I'm not planning on keeping fish because I have cats would I still need to add water filtration ? what's the easiest way to do this ?

also are there any good water features like a fountain people would recommend?

anything else I've missed?

Thanks!!!
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenGarden
12 Comments
I am no expert but am confident that without some form of bio process in the pond, you will have a nasty, smelly mess. I believe you can achieve this using plant life so perhaps contact a GOOD garden centre (probably an independent)

If you have children/grandchildren, or if such beasties roam into your garden, you need to be sensible about the hazard a pond poses. I am sure that the H&S fanatics people would say that means a 6' high barb wire perimeter with child 24x7 catcher patrols etc etc but I am sure something less can be safe.

Charlie Dimmock, of Ground Force fame, comes not unpleasantly to mind. I would not be surprised to find she has written/ghosted a book or youtube videos.
What you need is:
Performed pond (they are pretty cheap).
Performed waterfall
Pump and filter with uv bulb in it

Add water and put stones or rocks around the edge to finish.

Plants:
Iris and water Lilly
when i was a kid, i dugged a hole and added a bin liner ,, then few weeks later we got frog's 😁😁
cmdr_elito34 m ago

What you need is:Performed pond (they are pretty cheap).Performed …What you need is:Performed pond (they are pretty cheap).Performed waterfallPump and filter with uv bulb in itAdd water and put stones or rocks around the edge to finish. Plants: Iris and water Lilly

Hey is it preformed ? This site looks pretty cheap for it

pondkeeper.co.uk/sea…%3B
I have a wildlife pond and cats, found that the cats did have a habit of making small holes in the liner as they liked to drink from the edge. ended up using a preformed one to stop this. A few go up on sites like gumtree cheap. If you go down the liner route make sure you dig different levels so you have a deep section and a shallower bit for different plants etc.

Dig it somewhere which does not have full sun all day as too much sun can give you algae issues.

Line it with old carpet or plenty of sand to stop any stones making holes in the liner. When you fill it up keep working at folding/smoothing the sides of the liner as the water level rises. Add rocks, logs or what ever you fancy to the edges to hold liner in place and make places for frogs etc to hide, also make sure there is some rocks in the pond near the edge so the young frogs can get out. you will need oxygenating weed in it and if you would like to encourage dragonfly nymphs a tall plant in the pond like the grasses as they lay their eggs near the bottom of these. Adding moving water even a small water fall or fountain will help keep the gnats down, but make sure you check the filter regularly as they do clog up occasionally. you can get some nice small solar fountains etc so you do not need cables going to the house.

Plant a mix of plants around it to encourage the wild life and give it a wild look.

Sit back and enjoy it they are a wonderful item to a garden that sadly are not as popular as they used to be.
If you brought one of those you would just need to dig the hole big enough to fit it in and make sure you infill holes the spaces left outside so it doe not shift once in, then just decorate the edges and plant, you would still need plants etc for oxygen in the water and to encourage/help the wildlife.

If you don't go for the option with a fountain it would still pay to source one as moving water is less likely to go stagnant, smell and kill off the wildlife. Plus gnats less likely to breed in moving water.
Not sure that cats are a huge threat, it's usually herons that are the big problem for fish.
One other essential, a mesh cover for autumn, to protect agains leaf fall
chrisredmayne19 h, 31 m ago

Hey is it preformed ? This site looks pretty cheap for it …Hey is it preformed ? This site looks pretty cheap for it https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/search-results/?pg=1&q=Preformed&sa=Go+%26%238594%3B

Yes sorry that was a typo was very drunk. Preformed ponds are great just find one roughly the size you want and dig the hole to fit. They last years whereas liners tend to constantly puncture.
chrisredmayne19 h, 49 m ago

Hey is it preformed ? This site looks pretty cheap for it …Hey is it preformed ? This site looks pretty cheap for it https://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/search-results/?pg=1&q=Preformed&sa=Go+%26%238594%3B

34142473.jpg

34142473.jpg

This was after a few years. I started off with the stones and then planted small bushes as the frogs liked sitting in them. Water was pretty clear once I started using the filter and just washed them out and replaced them every 6-12 months (costs about £6).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 26th Jun
cmdr_elito26th Jun

[Image] [Image] This was after a few years. I started off with the stones …[Image] [Image] This was after a few years. I started off with the stones and then planted small bushes as the frogs liked sitting in them. Water was pretty clear once I started using the filter and just washed them out and replaced them every 6-12 months (costs about £6).

That looks cool, I like the plant at the back! I don't know if I should go for a bigger one with the space I have or just get a small one with lots of plants around.

34142621-8SPnU.jpg34142621-7zCVe.jpgWas gonna put it in the back corner, it's quite spacious there think it could easily fit one that's over a metre and a half squared
chrisredmayne1 h, 4 m ago

That looks cool, I like the plant at the back! I don't know if I should go …That looks cool, I like the plant at the back! I don't know if I should go for a bigger one with the space I have or just get a small one with lots of plants around. [Image] [Image] Was gonna put it in the back corner, it's quite spacious there think it could easily fit one that's over a metre and a half squared

34143333.jpg

Something like the above might work as you’ll be able to get the corner into the corner. You’ll also need to remember that your fence may need replacing at some point so it might be worth leaving a little room behind it and just putting rocks there with some plants in them (like a rockery, heathers etc). Also if you do want the waterfall you’ll need to place it at the side or allow room to move it away from the fence as it needs some space to get the angle. The filter you will want to place it somewhere easily accessible and you just need some extra tube to do this. I buried mine 3/4 in the ground to hide it. Then just lifted it out when I needed to change it. After a winter it made a nice compact smooth hole.

I’d also suggest going to your local large aquatics place to have a look at the sizes, shapes etc, even if you buy it online after.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 26th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants