Groups

Making photos black and white...

Why does it make you look better? Like if you turn a photo black and white after you've taken it in colour, or if you take a photo in black and white in the first place.

This is a serious question. I'm not sure if it makes me sound stupid but I want some kind of...reasoning.

Good. Thanks.

29 Comments

Maybe sometimes the less detail there is, the less it shows up flaws.

Or, it could be the way your mind perceives colour.

maybe because we see sooo much colour in our everyday lives that when you see something in black and white your brain thinks hmm that looks different/unusual...good?

Original Poster

jayjayuk1234;8870563

Maybe sometimes the less detail there is, the less it shows up flaws.Or, … Maybe sometimes the less detail there is, the less it shows up flaws.Or, it could be the way your mind perceives colour.

Why is black and white in less detail? Surely the greys make up the detail? No?

Your second point involves a bit too much thinking for me at this time of night...

simple object, simple photo, simple colour when B&W..... = object looks better...

:whistling:

Original Poster

numptyj;8870571

maybe because we see sooo much colour in our everyday lives that when you … maybe because we see sooo much colour in our everyday lives that when you see something in black and white your brain thinks hmm that looks different/unusual...good?

Hmm. I mean more photos of people. Like they look more flawless.

*katie*;8870572

I hate black & white photos of myself, I look about 12 in them!! Nothing … I hate black & white photos of myself, I look about 12 in them!! Nothing wrong with a bit if colour if you ask me!My friends photo album on facebook is all black & white, really don't like it as it looks so dull...

That's not answering the question!

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;8870576

simple object, simple photo, simple colour when B&W..... = object looks … simple object, simple photo, simple colour when B&W..... = object looks better...:whistling:

Are you calling me simple?!

angelfairee;8870588

Hmm. I mean more photos of people. Like they look more flawless.That's … Hmm. I mean more photos of people. Like they look more flawless.That's not answering the question!

Okkk then, won't bother next time!!!!

*katie*;8870594

:lol:

Original Poster

*katie*;8870594

Ok good!

angelfairee;8870615

Ok good!

Oh dear someone is grumpy! I only expressed a opinion & caused no harm lol

Original Poster

*katie*;8870621

I'm also non-harm-causing right now.

Banned

the eye sees contrast better than colour, i guess removing the colour focuses the mind on the detail more

plus black & white pics have always been regarded as more artistic, and you can make them more contrasty to make them more moody

angelfairee;8870590

Are you calling me simple?!

paranoid much AF?

:-D

Original Poster

jubbyme;8870651

the eye sees contrast better than colour, i guess removing the colour … the eye sees contrast better than colour, i guess removing the colour focuses the mind on the detail more

But it's kind of like the other way around. Like you don't see as much detail and ultimately the photo looks more flawless.

StevenA2000_uk;8870653

paranoid much AF? :p:-D

Shut it. Stick to your Hutton the beach. Idiot.

angelfairee;8870575

Why is black and white in less detail? Surely the greys make up the … Why is black and white in less detail? Surely the greys make up the detail? No?

A black and white photo has less detail than a colour photo, namely, the colour itself lol

Original Poster

jayjayuk1234;8870733

A black and white photo has less detail than a colour photo, namely, the … A black and white photo has less detail than a colour photo, namely, the colour itself lol

No grey making it for it then?! Okay...makes sense. Thanks

i prefer slightly more washed out photos, I'm gonna spam your thread with pictures I took aaages ago on project gotham 4

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5927/edit2h.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4121/edit3x.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8660/edit1b.jpg

Nude women always look good in B&W photos...Mail me them when you've taken them...;-)

Banned

it also looks smoother as most film and digital camera's create noise in the colour spectrum, which you are removing

also, black & white pics are usually done with colour filtering-conversion to black & white in order to make the best of skin tones, or sky tones or some other feature (not just a straight conversion)

jubbyme;8870651

the eye sees contrast better than colour, i guess removing the colour … the eye sees contrast better than colour, i guess removing the colour focuses the mind on the detail more

Colour is useful but ultimately a distraction. However it is also used as a tool :thumbsup:
    Pick your favourite film and desaturate it, what do you think?

*katie*;8870621

I keep telling her jealousy is not a good trait!:roll:

ei8hty5ive;8870815

Nude women always look good in B&W photos...Mail me them when you've … Nude women always look good in B&W photos...Mail me them when you've taken them...;-)

*AF goes to find wide angle lens*:giggle:

i like black and white photo's too :whistling:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6500000/jensen-ackles-jensen-ackles-6505537-413-475.jpg

missp27;8870895

Hey, have I not told you before..............no posting my pics on the forum!!!:roll:

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8870913

Hey, have I not told you before..............no posting my pics on the … Hey, have I not told you before..............no posting my pics on the forum!!!:roll:

:oops: :w00t:
    LooooooooLLLLL! sorry but i couldn't help myself!

Original Poster

missp27;8870895

Me too...

http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ronaldo-armani-giorgio.jpg

Original Poster

Actually, is anyone who knows what they're talking about in respect of photo editing still around? I've got 2 black and white photos that I've altered and I can't work out why I can't get one to do what the other one has done...I want to edit a whole load of them the same but I can't do ittttt. Waaaahhh.

angelfairee;8870979

Actually, is anyone who knows what they're talking about in respect of … Actually, is anyone who knows what they're talking about in respect of photo editing still around? I've got 2 black and white photos that I've altered and I can't work out why I can't get one to do what the other one has done...I want to edit a whole load of them the same but I can't do ittttt. Waaaahhh.

What program are you using? If it's Photoshop you can setup batch processing.

MBeeching;8871081

What program are you using? If it's Photoshop you can setup batch … What program are you using? If it's Photoshop you can setup batch processing.

yup this ^ can set up a macro to do the hard work

Could take you back to a simpler time subconsiously?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608651
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047187
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.918
      4. One thing you've forgotten79

See more discussions