Making the most of Tanzania and Zambia on a budget?

Posted 10th Feb
My g/f is going to be in Zambia (Lusaka) as part of an international project section of her MBA. She will only be there for a week, but has the opportunity to extend for another week for a holiday. So we've decided I'll go to Tanzania for a week while she's doing her project, and then i'll come to Zambia for the week after her project. This is all in June.

I suspect climbing Kilimanjaro is probably out (as much as I want to do it, especially as i'll recently have turned 35), but it seems like safari's are equally expensive. I'm not opposed to a £2k safari, but it does seem like the thing to do when with my g/f and or on a honeymoon.

Has anyone got any tips for a week in Tanzania and a week in Zambia? I'll be in Dar es Salaam, so can get to Zanzibar (which i kind of plan on doing). Is it worth taking a 16hr train ride to Kilimanjaro and meandering around the bottom of it? Cheaper safaris?
Community Updates

Groups

4 Comments
Anything you book in advance you’ll most likely pay UK prices for. We travelled extensively throughout Southern Africa and found the cheapest and most authentic experiences were booked via the hostels.

Most hostels will be able to book you local tours and experiences alternatively have a look in the lonely planet website.

We had a few scary moments where it seemed health and safety were not a factor but in retrospect those were the moments that stay freshest in the mind.
StokeMeAClipper10/02/2020 10:06

Anything you book in advance you’ll most likely pay UK prices for. We t …Anything you book in advance you’ll most likely pay UK prices for. We travelled extensively throughout Southern Africa and found the cheapest and most authentic experiences were booked via the hostels. Most hostels will be able to book you local tours and experiences alternatively have a look in the lonely planet website. We had a few scary moments where it seemed health and safety were not a factor but in retrospect those were the moments that stay freshest in the mind.

Having travelled throughout Asia, I have a feel for the lack of H&S (H&S seems a very British thing once you go abroad). How long ago did you travel if I may ask?
Quite a while now, 2009.

We went on one safari and there were some photographers in the park who shouldn’t have been taking photos of elephants (should of had a licence or asked permission I guess). The bloke who was driving us around in a 4x4 rounded up a pack of elephants and herded them towards these photographers. It was hilarious at the time but could of been a massacre!
Ngorongoro Crater is a place I would recommend, however it is got to be about 30 years since I went there and it may have been spoilt by tourism now. At the time Tanzania was definitely a more authentic happening than Kenya even though the crater is a mini ecosystem. I really wanted to experience the wildebeest migration, but the dates I could travel made that impossible. I wasn't prepared to pay the cost of an early morning balloon flight over the serengeti, and regret it to this day.

Lake Manyara National Park is worth a visit
Edited by: "OllieSt" 10th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants