Makita battery charger stopped working.

Posted 21st Apr
Decided to charge my battery with the makita dc18rc charger as it was almost dying but mid way through (2 bars) it stopped charging. Now no lights come on or anything and it doesnt do anything.

I’ve only used this charger like no more than 5 times because i only need to my impact driver once in a while so the 5ah battery lasts a while.

What could have gone wrong? It also happens to be that the 12month warranty expired last week.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Have you checked the fuse?
It sounds like an internal component has failed. Probably something that you can repair if you can get the parts and you’re a confident DIYer with good soldering skills.

Could even be simple dry solder joints.

Might be best to get in contact with Makita and ask them.
Out of warranty, buy a new charger, problem solved
Edited by: "TheBiker" 21st Apr
If it’s only just out of warranty, most companies will still honour it. Where did you buy it from??
TheBiker21/04/2020 07:30

Regardless of manufacturers warranty, the seller has a duty to sell goods fit for purpose, generally up to five years for non wear and tear failure you should get a fix / replacement. Of course you need proof of purchase.
Qualityfirst21/04/2020 08:21

Regardless of manufacturers warranty, the seller has a duty to sell goods …Regardless of manufacturers warranty, the seller has a duty to sell goods fit for purpose, generally up to five years for non wear and tear failure you should get a fix / replacement. Of course you need proof of purchase.

Good luck with that, we are talking about a battery charger < £40.

This is why there is so much waste in landfills. I get where you’re coming from, however this is likely a simple fault that would be easily repaired by anyone with decent DIY skills.
If you registered your makita product when you purchased it you receive 3 years warranty
dorack_uk21/04/2020 08:04

If it’s only just out of warranty, most companies will still honour it. W …If it’s only just out of warranty, most companies will still honour it. Where did you buy it from??

Cns powertools

That would be ny last resort i guess but it just doesn’t feel right having to buy it again when it essentially is like new
Qualityfirst21/04/2020 08:21

Regardless of manufacturers warranty, the seller has a duty to sell goods …Regardless of manufacturers warranty, the seller has a duty to sell goods fit for purpose, generally up to five years for non wear and tear failure you should get a fix / replacement. Of course you need proof of purchase.

I have emailed them, will see what they say.
xPabloz21/04/2020 16:45

I have emailed them, will see what they say.

You could try Makita also, they are pretty good with issues usually
dorack_uk21/04/2020 19:08

You could try Makita also, they are pretty good with issues usually

Will do. how long do they normally take? (I know they might take longer than usual to reply back but just to get an idea really )
xPabloz21/04/2020 19:15

Will do. how long do they normally take? (I know they might take longer …Will do. how long do they normally take? (I know they might take longer than usual to reply back but just to get an idea really )

I seem to remember them being pretty quick. Had an issue with a battery a few years back and they sorted a new one for me pretty quick.
TheBiker21/04/2020 08:40

Good luck with that, we are talking about a battery charger < £40.

The Consumer Rights act which replaced the Sales of Goods act remains applicable regardless of price. In my experience a lower cost item will be replaced.

Returning faulty products supports product improvement, either product faults are reported / returned to the manufacturer, or retailers stop selling in favour of less troublesome products.
Qualityfirst01/05/2020 20:02

The Consumer Rights act which replaced the Sales of Goods act remains …The Consumer Rights act which replaced the Sales of Goods act remains applicable regardless of price. In my experience a lower cost item will be replaced.Returning faulty products supports product improvement, either product faults are reported / returned to the manufacturer, or retailers stop selling in favour of less troublesome products.

Out of Warranty remains pertinent and usually results in rejection of claim, presumably satisfying the current Consumer Rights Act.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions