Malware removal - modern guide!

Posted 27th Jun
Hey guys,

My mums desktop has some nasty malware, popups in the corner saying x viruses detected click here blah blah, and then dodgy stuff in Chrome... Not had to deal with this sort of stuff for years.

She had Kaspersky installed (by me a while ago, but needed an update).

Updated Kaspersky, did a full scan and root kit scan, nothing. Installed Malwarebytes, update, scan, nothing!

What other tools do people use these days? It seems Hyjack this hasn't been updated in a few years, and Lavasoft ad-aware sort of looks different.

Any other tips to find this and knock it out?!

I asked on here, not really active on any 'geek' forums for over 10 years!

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
In the past I've used Malwarebytes full scan & AdwCleaner. Bleepingcomputer forum was handy
Edited by: "DaveG46" 27th Jun
Save anything needed from computer then do a fresh OS install.

Then install favoured flavour of anti-malware and anti-virus before anything else.
Maybe it's an add-on in the browser
Edited by: "AmazonAnswer" 27th Jun
I think it is browser based, in Chrome, so not sure how to deal with that. I can see the 'sites than can send messages' type bit and have switched off all but Google ones... Perhaps that was enough?
superflyguy27/06/2020 18:58

Save anything needed from computer then do a fresh OS install. Then …Save anything needed from computer then do a fresh OS install. Then install favoured flavour of anti-malware and anti-virus before anything else.

Yeah conventionally I'd have done that, but it's an old machine from the office, so I'd need to hassle our IT guys for an iso, and might be more complex if Team viewer is all I can use!
oldskooladdict27/06/2020 19:35

I think it is browser based, in Chrome, so not sure how to deal with that. …I think it is browser based, in Chrome, so not sure how to deal with that. I can see the 'sites than can send messages' type bit and have switched off all but Google ones... Perhaps that was enough?

if it is chrome, then you could uninstall chrome and re-install?
Yeah that's not a bad idea, I updated and tinkered for a while, but may be a better option. I have been on the desktop for a while and not seen the same messages, doing a win10 update now
Trend Micro Housecall
SuperAntispyware
SpyBot
MalwareBytes
HikackThis
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

...those were generally my go-to programmes
I had pop ups in lower r.h.s. Of screen saying 'Shield has detected xyz' and it actually suckered me in to a point. Turned out they were coming from one website. I had lots of open tabs from the site and didn't notice it was site specific at first. Possibly the same thing?
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 28th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text