Malware/Virus on daughter's tablet- Help please!

Found 22nd Jul
My daughter just came to me showing me this and as a complete technophobe, I have no idea how to fix it!
The version of McAfee she has says it cannot remove it, so I am stumped.
Can anybody help please?
Would a factory reset fix it or is it 'infected'?
Thanks in advance.2993055-wOEp8.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Assuming common OS, download & install freebie version of Malwarebytes and run scan. Note the options during installation indicating you have the choice to opt in or out of various features, but you don't need Pro version and you don't need any other tat other than the freebie prog itself malwarebytes.com/mwb…ad/
It's an APK file. You have to go to Settings and tick the box to install from unknown sources. Don't do that. Don't install apk files. Stick to the playstore. Anti virus is useless unless it has root. You can't give it root access so it useless. Only pre installed virus protection from the tablet manufacturer has root but if you stick to the play store you have nothing to worry about. Open play store app. Tap menu icon (3 little bars) look for play protect which is googles virus scanner. What dose it say?
Edited by: "wayners" 22nd Jul
wayners22nd Jul

It's an APK file. You have to go to Settings and tick the box to install …It's an APK file. You have to go to Settings and tick the box to install from unknown sources. Don't do that. Don't install apk files. Stick to the playstore. Anti virus is useless unless it has root. You can't give it root access so it useless. Only pre installed virus protection from the tablet manufacturer has root but if you stick to the play store you have nothing to worry about. Open play store app. Tap menu icon (3 little bars) look for play protect which is googles virus scanner. What dose it say?

It says:34456279-lAYtt.jpg
Allow from unknown sources isn't ticked?
All apps on the tablet were downloaded from play store.
I have always pressed on her how important it is to not click on unknown pop ups etc and she is very cautious.
Malwarebytes is good, most others won't help , it's free, no need to pay
22 mins into malwarebytes scan......
is it causing any issues? if not and malwarebyte don't detect it then it may be a false alarm. if it is causing you concern you can always factory reset and reload everything from Google ( presuming you got everything backed up on Google drive)
discozohan3 m ago

is it causing any issues? if not and malwarebyte don't detect it then it …is it causing any issues? if not and malwarebyte don't detect it then it may be a false alarm. if it is causing you concern you can always factory reset and reload everything from Google ( presuming you got everything backed up on Google drive)

Haven't noticed any issues and malwarebytes came back clear.
Is it a Lenovo tablet? If yes then this is an app that is preloaded by Lenovo and can not be removed without rooting the device first.

I would argue that this is unlikely to be malware and more likely just a false positive, caused by the app being able to install new apps on the tablet (without user's consent?) as well as call home to Lenovo.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd Jul
SUMMONER4 m ago

Is it a Lenovo tablet? If yes then this is an app that is preloaded by …Is it a Lenovo tablet? If yes then this is an app that is preloaded by Lenovo and can not be removed without rooting the device first.I would argue that this is unlikely to be malware and more likely just a false positive, caused by the app being able to install new apps (without user's consent) on the tablet as well as call home to Lenovo.

Yes, it is a Lenovo!
So are we safe to just ignore and carry on using as per usual?
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 22nd Jul
Lenovo is well known for their questionable/idiotic practices. Anyone remember SuperFish? I would just ignore the app.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd Jul
It's an Apk (file application) that isn't recognised by the OS as 'safe', ie is not on the guest list. It may not do any harm (if you want to download Showbox you have to click the 'unknown sources' box. I've done this on several devices without issue ') but it is possible if may do some harm. If you haven't opened it then it's just sitting there, doing nothing. Leave it alone and you will have no problems.
chuckiedoll11 h, 38 m ago

Allow from unknown sources isn't ticked?All apps on the tablet were …Allow from unknown sources isn't ticked?All apps on the tablet were downloaded from play store.I have always pressed on her how important it is to not click on unknown pop ups etc and she is very cautious.

It's because the antivirus app is throwing up false warnings. Don't install any apk files. Don't install any antivirus apps. You just don't need them. I don't. None of the tech podcasts I listen to recommended security apps. They laugh at the stupid description and say they do nothing but use up battery and memory.
And get rid of the bigger virus you have - mcafee!
Reset it to factory settings
Definitely Lenovo related - reading the translation, it appears it is an appstore that uses pay by SMS.
While it may be possible to uninstall it from settings - Apps, the apk itself is in a protected folder
microsofttranslator.com/bv.…053
matth999915 h, 27 m ago

Definitely Lenovo related - reading the translation, it appears it is an …Definitely Lenovo related - reading the translation, it appears it is an appstore that uses pay by SMS.While it may be possible to uninstall it from settings - Apps, the apk itself is in a protected folderhttps://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?dl=en&lp=DE_EN&mkt=en-GB&ref=SERP&refd=www.bing.com&r=true&a=https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-Tablets/Lenovo-TAB-2-A10-70-Virenscanner-Warnung-vorinstallierte-Apps/td-p/2235053

So can't do any harm really then as no access to payment methods or SMS/Calls.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants