Groups

Mamma mia! - Jamie Oliver closes six Jamie's Italian UK restaurants - 'Tough market' and 'uncertainties caused by Brexit had intensified the pressures.'

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is closing six of his 42 UK Jamie's Italian restaurants.

The Aberdeen, Cheltenham, Exeter, Tunbridge Wells and in London, the Ludgate and Richmond outlets are all scheduled to close soon.

The move will affect 120 staff, whom the company said it would try to place in other parts of the chain.
    The company said that the market was "tough" and the uncertainties caused by Brexit had intensified the pressures.
    The price of ingredients bought in Italy has gone up because of the fall in the value of the pound against the euro since the vote to leave the EU.

Chief executive Simon Blagden said: "As every restaurant owner knows, this is a tough market and, post-Brexit, the pressures and unknowns have made it even harder."
    He said each restaurant in the chain needed to attract 3,000 diners a week to be profitable.

Jamie's Italian has 28 overseas outlets and the company also said it planned to open another 22 outside the UK.
    Last year, Jamie Oliver said he would buy back the Jamie's Italian restaurants business in Australia.
    He moved after Keystone Group, which ran the operation, went into receivership and put the franchise up for sale.

79 Comments

I enjoyed watching the naked chef.

Banned

He said each restaurant in the chain needed to attract 3,000 diners a … He said each restaurant in the chain needed to attract 3,000 diners a week to be profitable.

Something wrong with his business model?

When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say that you sell overatted, over priced crap.

theguardian.com/uk-…hes

Brexit wouldn't make conditions better for restaurants, but judging by the locations and who Jamie markets too it's probably more at risk than most.

Personally there's no appeal with his restaurants.

Ludgate didn't get 3000 Italian Jamie fans before the referendum, so nowt to do with Brexit.

david_wavid

I enjoyed watching the naked chef.

Did he burn his meat and two veg oO nasty X)

Original Poster

rodders443

When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say … When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say that you sell overatted, over priced crap.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/28/jamie-oliver-closes-union-jack-branches

Obviously that fell through because there's no Brits left in this country anymore.
    Filled with foreigners. /s

in our area there is a growing chain of Italian restaurants which is expanding like mad, even franchising, 2 courses for a fiver every day on pizza and pasta good quality and excellently priced on other menu items. Against the prices Jamie charges you can tell which one in our city is empty.

Two things:

Jamies is just not very fashionable as it once was and as other have said, that section of the market is now crowded with other "Italian" chains or local "Italian" restaurants. If he had issues with the price of goods then surely he would have raised prices to see if customers would have paid!? Logical?

I presume he is now buying less products, so less discount and so the prices go up everywhere else anyway?

The Brexit thing is just likes to cover up for business not doing so well while having a dig and trying to seem popular to young types.

groenleader

Two things:Jamies is just not very fashionable as it once was and as … Two things:Jamies is just not very fashionable as it once was and as other have said, that section of the market is now crowded with other "Italian" chains or local "Italian" restaurants. If he had issues with the price of goods then surely he would have raised prices to see if customers would have paid!? Logical?I presume he is now buying less products, so less discount and so the prices go up everywhere else anyway?The Brexit thing is just likes to cover up for business not doing so well while having a dig and trying to seem popular to young types.

Good point about the brand and there's a few like that (Browns, Byron etc.) where they're too expensive for a lot of families on lower wages but don't have the appeal to attract those who can afford it. They aren't special enough.

But Brexit is causing uncertainty and if inflation hits its predicted levels, coupled with the value of the pound driving up essentials, then places like Jamie's will really suffer.

The same will happen in fashion where Primark will probably benefit along with higher-end brands, but those in the middle like Next and M&S may struggle.

I don't think it was Brexit that caused the uncertainties

"Chief economist of Bank of England admits errors in Brexit forecasting"

"The Bank of England’s chief economist has admitted his profession is in crisis having failed to foresee the 2008 financial crash and having misjudged the impact of the Brexit vote.
    Andrew Haldane, said it was “a fair cop” referring to a series of forecasting errors before and after the financial crash which had brought the profession’s reputation into question.
    Blaming the failure of economic models to cope with “irrational behaviour” in the modern era, the economist said the profession needed to adapt to regain the trust of the public and politicians.
    Haldane described the collapse of Lehman Brothers as the economics profession’s “Michael Fish moment” (a reference to when the BBC weather forecaster predicted in 1987 that the UK would avoid a hurricane that went on to devastate large parts of southern England). Speaking at the Institute for Government in central London, Haldane said meteorological forecasting had improved markedly following that embarrassing mistake and that the economics profession could follow in its footsteps.
    The bank has come under intense criticism for predicting a dramatic slowdown in the UK’s fortunes in the event of a vote for Brexit only for the economy to bounce back strongly and remain one of the best performing in the developed world. "

theguardian.com/bus…ors

And there's more....

"Why has the UK economy defied predictions of doom?"

"There was talk of a Brexit vote plunging the UK straight into recession, but the economic news is upbeat
    First it was manufacturing. Then it was construction. Now the hat-trick of upbeat economic news has been completed by the strongest performance by the services sector in 17 months.
    It goes without saying that this is not what the Treasury or the Bank of England expected at the time of the EU referendum last June. At the time, there was talk of the economy plunging straight into recession.

This week’s reports from purchasing managers point to growth of 0.5% in the final three months of 2016 compared with 0.6% in the third quarter. Post-referendum forecasts for 2016 were quickly shredded by the Bank of England when it became clear that activity had not collapsed. Likewise, predictions for 2017 may also soon be revised upwards."

theguardian.com/bus…ote

Expensive for pizza etc when you can go to a proper Italians for cheaper.

Someone remind Fred that Brexit hasn't happened yet. X)

Services sector up is great news. Same goes for construction and manufacturing, although both have seen prices of materials go up and they'll pass that straight on to the consumer.

The issue is whether it's sustainable. Prices of goods are going to increase across the board over the next 12 months because of the drop the pound. Now unless everyone's getting pay rises to cover that, then one of two things happens. People stop spending or people spend on credit.

someone remind heawd the 'experts' predicted catastrophic happenings immediately after the vote, not a few years down the line.

YouDontWantToKnow

Something wrong with his business model?

Of course why pay £13 plus for a pizza, when a local pizza place does 3 coures for £6.95

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Someone remind Fred that Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Maybe you should remind Jamie Oliver?

teh arn

Obviously that fell through because there's no Brits left in this country … Obviously that fell through because there's no Brits left in this country anymore.Filled with foreigners. /s

Jamie was basically selling bar meals as a cultural experience but failed. Bar meals belong in bars, not in over priced pretentious restaurants. I'm actually surprised the Guardian didn't class it as racist, a union jack of all things!!. Everyone knows the Guardian is anti British, anti white, pro EU, pro Soros. A vile prostitute of the worst kind.

Edited by: "rodders443" 6th Jan

coathanger

Maybe you should remind Jamie Oliver?

Fall in the Pound has meant ingredients cost more which makes it tough for restaurants with small margins. Looking at the places he's chosen to close them (Cheltenham, Tunbridge Wells and Richmond) I'd imagine the rent is on the higher side which means increased costs have a greater impact.

That's one theory. The other is that these areas have a more affluent customer base and Jamie's simply doesn't offer the service that is competitive.

I'd imagine the truth is a combination of the two.

rodders443

Everyone knows the Guardian is anti British, anti white, pro EU, pro … Everyone knows the Guardian is anti British, anti white, pro EU, pro Soros. A vile prostitute of the worst kind.

When people see lists like that, does anyone else imagine the same type of person posting them? Usually they're the same type who get upset at feminism, the Ghostbusters remake and feel like men are marginalised in society.

Poor things.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Fall in the Pound has meant ingredients cost more which makes it tough … Fall in the Pound has meant ingredients cost more which makes it tough for restaurants with small margins. Looking at the places he's chosen to close them (Cheltenham, Tunbridge Wells and Richmond) I'd imagine the rent is on the higher side which means increased costs have a greater impact.That's one theory. The other is that these areas have a more affluent customer base and Jamie's simply doesn't offer the service that is competitive.I'd imagine the truth is a combination of the two.

Strange the EU's inflation rate is 1.1% (a rise of 0.6%) yet they blame oil, yet ours is 1.2% and you blame Brexit?

coathanger

Strange the EU's inflation rate is 1.1% (a rise of 0.6%) yet they blame … Strange the EU's inflation rate is 1.1% (a rise of 0.6%) yet they blame oil, yet ours is 1.2% and you blame Brexit?

What are you talking about dear boy? I'm discussing the factors facing restaurants like Jamie's in certain markets and you're referencing the EU's inflation rate? Are you conflating my points about the increase in prices of raw materials due to the fall in the Pound and my reference to inflation over the next 12 months and confusing yourself?

It's almost like you think inflation is inherently a bad thing.

Now I understand why you post soundbites and avoid discussing things in depth. Give your Theresa May plushie a cuddle and rock back and forth repeating 'Brexit means Brexit, Brexit means Brexit...'. X)
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 6th Jan

So with over 6 months gone since the referendum lets re cap the impact:

1) Interest Rates down
    2) Employment up
    3) Slightly lower pound against the Euro that has stimulated exports
    4) Inflation remains below the target set by the experts at the bank of England
    5) Nissan has announced a major expansion of production in the UK
    6)Growth has accelerated
    7) Retail sales have surged to a new high
    8)Share prices have reached all time highs
    9) No company has announced a relocation because of Brexit.
    10) Government borrowing costs remain similar to before the referendum

Could the Remainers have possibly been more wrong?

rodders443

When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say … When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say that you sell overatted, over priced crap.

Maybe add less rats = return to profit
    Edited by: "u664541" 6th Jan

airfix

So with over 6 months gone since the referendum lets re cap the impact:1) … So with over 6 months gone since the referendum lets re cap the impact:1) Interest Rates down2) Employment up3) Slightly lower pound against the Euro that has stimulated exports4) Inflation remains below the target set by the experts at the bank of England5) Nissan has announced a major expansion of production in the UK6)Growth has accelerated7) Retail sales have surged to a new high8)Share prices have reached all time highs9) No company has announced a relocation because of Brexit.10) Government borrowing costs remain similar to before the referendumCould the Remainers have possibly been more wrong?

The fact that all you can say in point 3. is that exports increased means you're either biased or unaware of what the fall in the £ has done. In fact it's responsible for point 8. but also for the cost of raw materials rising and the price of goods leaving the warehouse to increase in price.

Now that in turn will lead to prices on the shelves increasing. That reduces disposable income which reduces consumer spending (or drives up personal borrowing) which slows the economy.

Now that is the one clear result of the Brexit vote. To argue otherwise is flawed.

airfix

So with over 6 months gone since the referendum lets re cap the impact:1) … So with over 6 months gone since the referendum lets re cap the impact:1) Interest Rates down2) Employment up3) Slightly lower pound against the Euro that has stimulated exports4) Inflation remains below the target set by the experts at the bank of England5) Nissan has announced a major expansion of production in the UK6)Growth has accelerated7) Retail sales have surged to a new high8)Share prices have reached all time highs9) No company has announced a relocation because of Brexit.10) Government borrowing costs remain similar to before the referendumCould the Remainers have possibly been more wrong?

To be fair, it was rather cold last night. I'm sure Brexit may have had something to do with that?

Banned

airfix

You could have added Knob Head Jamie gets a kicking as number 11, but that would suggest its Brexit related and not because he charges too much. He was crying after the referendum result came in - from his home in the US.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Oh no but Fred they absolutely do. Everyone believes that the reason you … Oh no but Fred they absolutely do. Everyone believes that the reason you log on to post at 3am is because you've only just cleared everyone out. Why would anyone dispute such an airtight narrative?Relax, no need to keep digging, sorry I mean explaining how you don't need people to believe you.Now check you've got enough nibbles for tonight's party, engage in some witty reparte and then log back on at 4am when the trendsetters and movers and shakers have finally gone home.

Nahh I think I'll join you for once and post on here all day and most of the evening then at about ten-o'clock? I'll break out the hot chocolate and jump into bed with my iPad to prepare for my next busy day of posting on HUKD. On second thoughts perhaps not. oO

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

The fact that all you can say in point 3. is that exports increased means … The fact that all you can say in point 3. is that exports increased means you're either biased or unaware of what the fall in the £ has done. In fact it's responsible for point 8. but also for the cost of raw materials rising and the price of goods leaving the warehouse to increase in price.Now that in turn will lead to prices on the shelves increasing. That reduces disposable income which reduces consumer spending (or drives up personal borrowing) which slows the economy. Now that is the one clear result of the Brexit vote. To argue otherwise is flawed.

​and of course personal borrowing was at an all time low before June?

Fred Smith

Nahh I think I'll join you for once and post on here all day and most of … Nahh I think I'll join you for once and post on here all day and most of the evening then at about ten-o'clock? I'll break out the hot chocolate and jump into bed with my iPad to prepare for my next busy day of posting on HUKD. On second thoughts perhaps not. oO:)

Of course Fred, because you have nightly soirees and then come on a shopping forum at 3am. Like I said, everyone believes you. Honestly we do.

Think of the poor staff, but hey he'll still earn millions this year,

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Of course Fred, because you have nightly soirees and then come on a … Of course Fred, because you have nightly soirees and then come on a shopping forum at 3am. Like I said, everyone believes you. Honestly we do.

"we"

You speak for an HUKD consortium do you? So what time are you clocking off HUKD tonight then?

British tourism will boom this year so Jamie will be missing out on part of that.

Fred Smith

"we"You speak for an HUKD consortium do you? So what time are you … "we"You speak for an HUKD consortium do you? So what time are you clocking off HUKD tonight then?

​whenever he decides to stop typing and just observes.

Fred Smith

"we"You speak for an HUKD consortium do you? So what time are you … "we"You speak for an HUKD consortium do you? So what time are you clocking off HUKD tonight then?

Well the ambassador is coming around tonight so whenever the Ferrero Rochers run out I expect - you know how it is. X)

[email protected]

British tourism will boom this year so Jamie will be missing out on part … British tourism will boom this year so Jamie will be missing out on part of that.

Is it really a touristy place?

I agree that for people coming from overseas, the UK has gotten considerably cheaper which is good for the services sector. The issue is for people who live in this country, or Brits as I believe they're termed.

rodders443

When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say … When you don't have Brexit too blame you have to be really honest and say that you sell overatted, over priced crap.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/28/jamie-oliver-closes-union-jack-branches

​i agree, I don't rate his restaurants or his recipes, overrated!

Seems like his overheads are too high and his business model needs a tweak, slightly different to Jamie but a mate has a local pizza takeaway and its a licence to print money.

Cost of Pizza to make average of 89p each and that includes rent, rates, ingredients, wages, gas etc etc.
    Selling price £9.99 plus delivery.

teh arn

...The price of ingredients bought in Italy has gone up because of the … ...The price of ingredients bought in Italy has gone up because of the fall in the value of the pound against the euro since the vote to leave the EU...

Buy the ingredients in Sainsbury's then!

http://www.freshplaza.com/2013/0913/jamie.jpg

Would not go near a Jamie's restaurant, since he banned turkey twizzlers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE23
      2. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…45
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764320
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814

See more discussions