Man fined for paying his bill

Banned 32 replies
Found 9th Jun 2011

When Jason West turned up in person to pay a bill he disputed, he ended up being landed with a fine. Why? Because he tried to pay it with 2,500 pennies.

West said he paid the charge - to Basin Clinic, Utah, USA - months ago, but failed to get the current bill revoked. He then calmly asked the teller: "Do you take cash?"

When told they did, West replied: "Lucky for me I happen to have it on me." He then poured 2,500 pennies on the counter. "I'm willing to wait if you want to count them so you can make sure you get every penny," he added.

But while he told local paper The Vernal Express that all this was done in a calm manner, and that all that resulted from it was giggles from other customers waiting, the clinic disagreed and called the police.

West ended up being cited for "disorderly conduct" and now faces a $140 fine — or 14,000 pennies.

LINKY: uk.finance.yahoo.com/new…tml

OK - The story reported was in the US.... but the same rules on legal tender applies here too.

Is there a REAL problem and should the company be fined for wasting police time instead?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Unlike Scottish banknotes ...

It wasn't Legal Tender

What a joke! Money's money! Theirs no law to say what the bill should be paid in or any bill for that matter?
Edited by: "steev08" 9th Jun 2011

Banned

only in america

Original Poster Banned

cannyscot

Unlike Scottish banknotes ...It wasn't Legal Tender

I'm not with you?

Original Poster Banned

DangerGod

only in america

No, not strictly true. Paying in money at a bank, they charge you for large quantities of lower denomination coins. (At least thats what Ive been told - I may have been duped!)

can he pay the fine in pennies?

Banned

steev08

What a joke! Money's money! Theirs no law to say what the bill should be … What a joke! Money's money! Theirs no law to say what the bill should be paid in or any bill for that matter?

yes there is but dont let that stop your rant
1p coins are only legal tender up to 20p, over that anyone can refuse them

what kind of a tool takes 2500 penies in to pay a £25 fine.

Serves him right for being a smartass.

colinsunderland

[yes there is but dont let that stop your rant1p coins are only legal … [yes there is but dont let that stop your rant1p coins are only legal tender up to 20p, over that anyone can refuse them

That's interesting, can you show where is that regulation from?

PS - Never mind I found it by google. Looks like starting from £1 coin there is no limit

Edited by: "wiltonson" 9th Jun 2011

My experience of paying coinage into a financial institution!!

hotukdeals.com/mis…461

Original Poster Banned

The kind of tool that thinks he shouldn't be paying anything at all I guess.

jasonodell

what kind of a tool takes 2500 penies in to pay a £25 fine.Serves him … what kind of a tool takes 2500 penies in to pay a £25 fine.Serves him right for being a smartass.

steev08

What a joke! Money's money! Theirs no law to say what the bill should be … What a joke! Money's money! Theirs no law to say what the bill should be paid in or any bill for that matter?

Got a linky for that?

Original Poster Banned

shibi din

My experience of paying coinage into a financial … My experience of paying coinage into a financial institution!!http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/unbelievable/209461

hehe.... I knew I'd read it somewhere!

Banned

guv

Got a linky for that?

royalmint.com/cor…spx

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£5 (Crown) - for any amount£2 - for any amount£1 - for any amount50p - fo … £5 (Crown) - for any amount£2 - for any amount£1 - for any amount50p - for any amount not exceeding £1025p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £1020p - for any amount not exceeding £1010p - for any amount not exceeding £55p - for any amount not exceeding £52p - for any amount not exceeding 20p1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

guv

LINKY 4 LAZY

Happy to be called lazy so thanks for the link

Original Poster Banned

guv

Got a linky for that?

£5 (Crown) - for any amount£2 - for any amount£1 - for any amount50p - fo … £5 (Crown) - for any amount£2 - for any amount£1 - for any amount50p - for any amount not exceeding £1025p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £1020p - for any amount not exceeding £1010p - for any amount not exceeding £55p - for any amount not exceeding £52p - for any amount not exceeding 20p1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

Thanks Colin...... I did say in post 6 I thought there was something!

Edited by: "guv" 9th Jun 2011

Isn't that just for the money bags? lol

Anyway its still money.

guv

Got a linky for that?

Cheers Didn't know this, so yeah, he deserves to be fined then lol. Its still money though to me... Give me 2,500 pennies i will happily take it no fine included :P

guv

No, not strictly true. Paying in money at a bank, they charge you for … No, not strictly true. Paying in money at a bank, they charge you for large quantities of lower denomination coins. (At least thats what Ive been told - I may have been duped!)

I've had cashiers whinge at me for it but never been charged.

Also, I have paid for fish and chips on the way home once out of pennies in the car. We ordered, assuming they would take cards, no cash mashine nearby so we scraped together around £3.50 in copper and a bit of silver.

guv

I'm not with you?

Uh OK.

Link

zannaz82

I've had cashiers whinge at me for it but never been charged. Also, I … I've had cashiers whinge at me for it but never been charged. Also, I have paid for fish and chips on the way home once out of pennies in the car. We ordered, assuming they would take cards, no cash mashine nearby so we scraped together around £3.50 in copper and a bit of silver.

Local shops love change though, saves them having to go and get it themselves lol. My local loves it when we take £10+ worth of copper round to change.

steev08

Local shops love change though, saves them having to go and get it … Local shops love change though, saves them having to go and get it themselves lol. My local loves it when we take £10+ worth of copper round to change.

It makes sense really I guess.

Out of interest, anyone know of a law that says maximum note you can pay with for a certain amount? eg buying penny sweets with £5

lollington all missing the point

he was fined for disorderly conduct

lol
Edited by: "Alfonse" 9th Jun 2011

Banned

Alfonse

lollington all missing the pointhe was fined for disorderly conductlol

but that was due to the amount of pennies he gave?

guv

Got a linky for that?

Knew there were rules, but didn't know they were such small amounts for coppers! hate to think how many times I've raided my penny pot for stuff in the past!

DangerGod

but that was due to the amount of pennies he gave?

this was done in a calm manner

After the pennies went everywhere and it became clear they were pennies of spite

honestly, i mean really?

Original Poster Banned

Alfonse

lollington all missing the pointhe was fined for disorderly conductlol

The disorderly conduct WAS because he paid in pennies.

hth

guv

The disorderly conduct WAS because he paid in pennies.hth

no because he threw the coins on the counter........................ffs check it out properly

shibi din

My experience of paying coinage into a financial … My experience of paying coinage into a financial institution!!http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/unbelievable/209461

That's ridiculous O_O

Original Poster Banned

Alfonse

no because he threw the coins on the counter........................ffs … no because he threw the coins on the counter........................ffs check it out properly

I did check it out properly. He threw nothing.

"West says he didn't throw anything, they spilled: "That's just the nature of pennies," he told the Vernal Express. "They're round."

I suppose it's not beyond the bounds of possibility the shop were just narked with him and made the claim, despite there being no damage or injury caused by this vicious act of throwing coins.

Brb accusing west of being the grammar police......

guv

I did check it out properly. He threw nothing."West says he didn't throw … I did check it out properly. He threw nothing."West says he didn't throw anything, they spilled: "That's just the nature of pennies," he told the Vernal Express. "They're round."I suppose it's not beyond the bounds of possibility the shop were just narked with him and made the claim, despite there being no damage or injury caused by this vicious act of throwing coins.Brb accusing west of being the grammar police......

yep you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right because interupting a Medical Clinic is fair on the other patients, isn't it, nice one Guv..............

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ibnlive.in.com/new…tml

digitalspy.co.uk/odd…tml

newsfeed.time.com/201…ne/

ctwatchdog.com/201…ies

Original Poster Banned

Alfonse

yep you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right because interupting a Medical … yep you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right because interupting a Medical Clinic is fair on the other patients, isn't it, nice one Guv..............hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahttp://ibnlive.in.com/news/chillar-party-man-pays-bill-with-2500-pennies/157832-19.htmlhttp://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a323997/man-fined-for-paying-bill-with-2500-pennies.htmlhttp://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/06/man-pays-medical-bill-with-2500-pennies-gets-140-fine/http://ctwatchdog.com/2011/06/08/patient-arrested-after-paying-medical-bill-with-pennies

Where is the claim he upset other patients? If anything it says the reverse (as they were said to be laughing). But anyway, congratulations on learning how to use google, copy and paste and posting virtually word for word what was said in the link I'd already posted and proving didley squat.

Nothing you posted proves your claim he threw the coins BTW. So is it ok if I post "yep you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right" "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha". ooops i just did.

That will teach the smug yanky git
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Mobile phone advice22
    2. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55
    3. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?23
    4. dakine backpacks22

See more discussions