Man keyed my car today

Posted 19th Apr
A man driving a car parked next to me today keyed my car. I have it all on cctv and have reported it to the police. I want to know if I can find out the owner of the car myself to pay for the damages off his car registration. What are the chances. And if anyone could get this info for me. Regards.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Some dingbat drove into my car at work and wrecked my door.

Luckily I got his van on cctv. I just posted it on Facebook and I got names, etc. Went to his crappy antique shop and asked him to pay for the damage, he said he didn't know he had hit anything but agreed to pay me to repair the damage.

A mate has some tools stolen out of his lockup, he also posted his cctv on Facebook and found the druggie scumbag, he got half his tools back before they all got sold.
Just need to pay a quick social visit to the person in question and have a few words.
Of course don't go around with some of the lads and be threatening in any way
The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car.

You would have to take him to small claims court to reclaim the cost of repair.
Edited by: "karlypants" 19th Apr
I had a recent exchange with the local Police. Reported an assault.
They turned up within less than 5 minutes but the perpetrators drove off round the block. Gave them the vehicle reg, which if they wanted to could have been passed to their CCTV monitoring bearing in mind the only way out was a main road which has got about 1500000 cameras making sure they catch speeding or traffic light offences but not used for this situation.
Ok, someone wasn't murdered, but it could be pure luck. I don't know do I? Yewts running around the place thinking they can do what they want.

Police did all they could to dissuade me from pressing charges.
"You have a think about it and I'll give you a call about it tomorrow, do you need to visit the hospital"
"Are you going to track these offenders down? You have visual evidence of my being hit and spat at. You've got a number plate and some photographs of the two, what else do you need?"

Evidence all in front of them and policeman no.2 interjects "oh, I don't think we have a swab kit to take a saliva sample, we can see they did spit on you, we can see that they hit your head"

"ok, well, let's put things into motion then, what do I need to do?"

Police: "oh, well why don't you see how you feel tomorrow and we can always try to deal with it amicably using social services. You've got up to 7 years to press charges."

Teflon policing!?
Edited by: "TopTrump" 19th Apr
43 Comments
The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car.

You would have to take him to small claims court to reclaim the cost of repair.
Edited by: "karlypants" 19th Apr
Unfortunately Police won't even bother with small incidents like this.
Was it deliberate or do you mean he damaged your car while parking
If you've got his reg on CCTV, hopefully the old bill will stop drinking tea for 5 minutes and find out his address.
I'm sure it's easy enough to find out online who the registered keeper and their address is. That's how the parking firms find out where to send a penalty notice.
Edited by: "chimp14uk" 19th Apr
I had a recent exchange with the local Police. Reported an assault.
They turned up within less than 5 minutes but the perpetrators drove off round the block. Gave them the vehicle reg, which if they wanted to could have been passed to their CCTV monitoring bearing in mind the only way out was a main road which has got about 1500000 cameras making sure they catch speeding or traffic light offences but not used for this situation.
Ok, someone wasn't murdered, but it could be pure luck. I don't know do I? Yewts running around the place thinking they can do what they want.

Police did all they could to dissuade me from pressing charges.
"You have a think about it and I'll give you a call about it tomorrow, do you need to visit the hospital"
"Are you going to track these offenders down? You have visual evidence of my being hit and spat at. You've got a number plate and some photographs of the two, what else do you need?"

Evidence all in front of them and policeman no.2 interjects "oh, I don't think we have a swab kit to take a saliva sample, we can see they did spit on you, we can see that they hit your head"

"ok, well, let's put things into motion then, what do I need to do?"

Police: "oh, well why don't you see how you feel tomorrow and we can always try to deal with it amicably using social services. You've got up to 7 years to press charges."

Teflon policing!?
He has purposely damaged my car. You can see it clear as day. I also know what the man looks like. I want an easy way to find out who he is and where he lives.
karlypants36 m ago

The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to t …The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to take him to small claims court to reclaim the cost of repair.

karlypants36 m ago

The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to t …The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to take him to small claims court to reclaim the cost of repair. I want to find the person who did it and thought tracking by reg would be the easiest way.

christine.ashurst7 m ago

He has purposely damaged my car. You can see it clear as day. I also know …He has purposely damaged my car. You can see it clear as day. I also know what the man looks like. I want an easy way to find out who he is and where he lives.

Do you have cctv of him running a key down your car?
"A man driving a car parked next to me today keyed my car. I have it all on cctv and have reported it to the police. I want to know if I can find out the owner of the car myself to pay for the damages off his car registration. What are the chances. And if anyone could get this info for me. Regards."

Get a crime reference number then report to insurance company.
Insurance will practically tear your hand off if you've got video evidence.

Then perhaps engage with the insurance firm's legal assistance team.
They don't want to pay, you don't want your excess to be stung and you don't want your premiums to go up either.
christine.ashurst48 m ago

He has purposely damaged my car. You can see it clear as day. I also know …He has purposely damaged my car. You can see it clear as day. I also know what the man looks like. I want an easy way to find out who he is and where he lives.

You try to do too much digging on your own and you will be seen as a stalker.
chimp14uk19/04/2019 16:25

If you've got his reg on CCTV, hopefully the old bill will stop drinking …If you've got his reg on CCTV, hopefully the old bill will stop drinking tea for 5 minutes and find out his address.I'm sure it's easy enough to find out online who the registered keeper and their address is. That's how the parking firms find out where to send a penalty notice.

Some of these parking firms have access to the DVLA database, I don't think it's something that any old punter can go online and access for reasons of personal security.

If the OP has reported the incident to the Police she should have been given an incident number, the job of tracking the guy down should be left to them not an individual.
jaketheplumber19/04/2019 18:23

Some of these parking firms have access to the DVLA database, I don't …Some of these parking firms have access to the DVLA database, I don't think it's something that any old punter can go online and access for reasons of personal security.If the OP has reported the incident to the Police she should have been given an incident number, the job of tracking the guy down should be left to them not an individual.

I think you're wrong.
If the parking firms have access, it's accessable to the public.
The public have no access.
Think data protection.
Post the video and his reg on Twitter, Facebook and all the other options given to you by the sensible poster on here.
TopTrump19/04/2019 17:13

"A man driving a car parked next to me today keyed my car. I have it all …"A man driving a car parked next to me today keyed my car. I have it all on cctv and have reported it to the police. I want to know if I can find out the owner of the car myself to pay for the damages off his car registration. What are the chances. And if anyone could get this info for me. Regards."Get a crime reference number then report to insurance company.Insurance will practically tear your hand off if you've got video evidence.Then perhaps engage with the insurance firm's legal assistance team.They don't want to pay, you don't want your excess to be stung and you don't want your premiums to go up either.

The moment you phone up an insurance company and state something has been damaged, you’re premium will go up, regardless of whether you’re at fault or not. The moment they hear of an instance of damage, your risk rating goes up.
ktm66618 m ago

The moment you phone up an insurance company and state something has been …The moment you phone up an insurance company and state something has been damaged, you’re premium will go up, regardless of whether you’re at fault or not. The moment they hear of an instance of damage, your risk rating goes up.

So oiks run riot yet again, and somebody else picks up the bill!
Police aren't interested, local authorities cannae be bothered, so you go vigilante and you end up getting booked for an infringement of some right or law they know how to introduce into the mix.

Seriously, this country is so f'ed up.
Cressida Dick - yeah! She'll bring back civility. Good luck with that!

Pure dynamite, look at the determination in her eyes as she struggles to tame a cappucino 9 seconds into the video'd interview
videos.dailymail.co.uk/vid…mp4

Ignore the right wing source, just that she's turned up to LBC to be interviewed by Nick Ferrari (who didn't he want go on record saying 'make me the police commissioner of Kent and I'll tackle crime' ?) and she leaves you in no doubt, it's not under control.
Some dingbat drove into my car at work and wrecked my door.

Luckily I got his van on cctv. I just posted it on Facebook and I got names, etc. Went to his crappy antique shop and asked him to pay for the damage, he said he didn't know he had hit anything but agreed to pay me to repair the damage.

A mate has some tools stolen out of his lockup, he also posted his cctv on Facebook and found the druggie scumbag, he got half his tools back before they all got sold.
Just need to pay a quick social visit to the person in question and have a few words.
Of course don't go around with some of the lads and be threatening in any way
deleted70151719/04/2019 19:38

You didn't answer the question - did he run a key down the side of your …You didn't answer the question - did he run a key down the side of your car or did he damage your car while manoeuvering in/out of the parking space?

I see want you're trying to do. You want to determine if it was criminal damage or something that could be classified as an accident?

Eh?!
Columbo? Any good?

Just one more thing...
deleted701517
Exactamundo!
deleted70151719/04/2019 19:45

Exactamundo!

Right, but miscreants mostly know the angles to cover.
So when it comes to a fight, they know how to raise your anger level, intimidate, spit at you or enrage you in the hope you throw the first punch or they say they felt intimidated and claim self-defense before hitting you repeatedly.

They'll push right up, get in your space hoping you push them back despite them walking right up your face sticking their nose in your face or blocking your path as you try to move away, then claim they thought this or that.
It's all about ensuring they can tilt the facts to depict the picture they want and the law allows them enough leeway to get away with it.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 20th Apr
deleted701517
Yes. And the OP will have to work out what her motive is for pursuing someone who may have the angle covered and what her chances of success are whether it's accident or malicious.
If they've got insurance you can find his insurance details and address here for a small charge.

Someone scraped my brothers car and wanted to verify they had gave the correct details etc..

If you report it to your insurance company, You'll likely lose your no claims and have to pay your excess if it is malicious damage, providing you're fully comprehensive. Your excess is likely more than it'd cost you to have it repaired yourself. Also your premiums for the next 5 years may be affected.

However, if he caused the damage with his car then you would be able to claim your excess back off the third part if they found the claim in your favour. Your premiums may increase too for the next 5 years etc. Not always though, for some strange reasons my premium decreased by £4 for declaring a non fault claim!

If he left the scene of an accident without leaving you his details then he has committed an offence.

Hastings don't penalise you for vandalism ( won't lose no claims bonus or pay an excess ) but most other insurance companies will.
You can request the info from DVLA gov.uk/req…vla

Make sure you have a police incident number and say you need to supply the details to your insurance co or say you need to take them to the small claims court
chimp14uk19/04/2019 18:38

I think you're wrong.If the parking firms have access, it's accessable to …I think you're wrong.If the parking firms have access, it's accessable to the public.

Parking firms have access to enable them to issue tickets and send threatening letters, if you think the public have access to the database try logging in to DVLA and input your own reg. Then come back and tell us all how much info. you found about yourself.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 19th Apr
deleted701517
jaketheplumber19/04/2019 20:25

Parking firms have access to enable them to issue tickets, if you think …Parking firms have access to enable them to issue tickets, if you think the public have access to the database try logging in to DVLA and input your own reg. Then come back and tell us all how much info. you found about yourself.

You don't log in to the DVLA. A person or organisation which has reasonable cause to obtain Registered Keeper details can do so by completing a form and sending it to the DVLA. That's different from obtaining your own details.

Details here.
jaketheplumber19/04/2019 20:25

Parking firms have access to enable them to issue tickets and send …Parking firms have access to enable them to issue tickets and send threatening letters, if you think the public have access to the database try logging in to DVLA and input your own reg. Then come back and tell us all how much info. you found about yourself.

Who said that that you have to go through the DVLA?
You're wrong, BIG STYLE.
deleted70151719/04/2019 20:42

You don't log in to the DVLA. A person or organisation which has …You don't log in to the DVLA. A person or organisation which has reasonable cause to obtain Registered Keeper details can do so by completing a form and sending it to the DVLA. That's different from obtaining your own details.Details here.

Yes I know that, I was replying to chimp14uk who implied that the public have access to the DVLA database.
chimp14uk19/04/2019 20:44

Who said that that you have to go through the DVLA?You're wrong, BIG …Who said that that you have to go through the DVLA?You're wrong, BIG STYLE.

So go ahead, give it a try.
jaketheplumber3 m ago

So go ahead, give it a try.

Did I say that the public had access to the DVLA database?
The OP can get info from the DVLA because they have a good and valid reason.
chimp14uk19/04/2019 18:38

I think you're wrong.If the parking firms have access, it's accessable to …I think you're wrong.If the parking firms have access, it's accessable to the public.

Your words not mine
"Cressida Dick: Britain’s most senior police officer says she’s ‘a bit different’ and admits she cannot smell cannabis."
Writes the Independent.

Good luck getting skunk off the streets!

It's like making a blind person chief inspector of the counterfeit document detection service.

She needs to go into training. Sadiq - increase your Metropolitan Police budget!
Cressida wants to be sent her up some estate in Norf Larndun to get stoned become an expert.
Fact & conspiracy theory. Fact = OP has registered with HUKD today just to post this thread. Conspiracy theory: OP is actually a bloke but has used a gender-obvious name to attempt to gain sympathy from the existing forum membership (cos nobody in their right mind is going to use their real name on a public forum). In reality, no damage was caused by the man who had been driving the car, the OP is simply impressed by the subject's flash vehicle and is thinking his house must be salubrious and worth doing over, but how to obtain his address? I know...
Just sayin'. Regards, AndyRoyd (as if that username would be my real name or indicate my gender).
jaketheplumber20 m ago

Your words not mine

They get their info from the DVLA, just like the OP can.
Only two times you should contact your car insurance company. First: start of policy and secondly renewal price negoiatation. Thats it.
You've been hit by
A smooth criminal
AndyRoyd19/04/2019 21:14

Fact & conspiracy theory. Fact = OP has registered with HUKD today just to …Fact & conspiracy theory. Fact = OP has registered with HUKD today just to post this thread. Conspiracy theory: OP is actually a bloke but has used a gender-obvious name to attempt to gain sympathy from the existing forum membership (cos nobody in their right mind is going to use their real name on a public forum). In reality, no damage was caused by the man who had been driving the car, the OP is simply impressed by the subject's flash vehicle and is thinking his house must be salubrious and worth doing over, but how to obtain his address? I know...Just sayin'. Regards, AndyRoyd (as if that username would be my real name or indicate my gender).

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you for ages, have you got a sister called Emma? I once knew a girl called Emma Royd she was a nightmare, a right pain in the butt you may even say!
Dyslexic_Dog10 m ago

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you for ages, have you got a …That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you for ages, have you got a sister called Emma? I once knew a girl called Emma Royd she was a nightmare, a right pain in the butt you may even say!

Nah, my sis' name is Siri Ios.
deleted70151719/04/2019 19:38

You didn't answer the question - did he run a key down the side of your …You didn't answer the question - did he run a key down the side of your car or did he damage your car while manoeuvering in/out of the parking space?Obtaining Registered Keeper details.

That link is golden, I'd personally try and find out where they work and send the footage to their employer, with the words
DO YOU REALLY WANT THIS SCUMBAG WORKING FOR YOU?
karlypants19/04/2019 16:12

The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to t …The incident hasn’t got anything to do with his car. You would have to take him to small claims court to reclaim the cost of repair.

Actually, I think you're right.
The "accident" needs to be reported to the police and you need a quote (perhaps from two different businesses) for the damage repair.
Police then have the footage to charge them with criminal damage.

I think that's the angle and if you detect the police trying to dissuade you (obviously if your footage isn't clear enough, then that's where the Police's "expertise" is relied upon to try and tie the threads together and get action taken).
If you feel a vibe of, "it's best left to your insurance company" then, ask them on what grounds. Get whatever you can in writing.
Verbal is all fine and well, but when it comes to the real world, it doesn't cut the mustard.

If it was a hit and run accident "accident" then by not leaving their details they've partially admitted blame, especially if your CCTV coverage depicts them either trying repeatedly to cause damage (disproving - 'Oh! I didn't notice I did that' yarn) or if they are seen getting out to inspect the extent of the damage.

Book 'em Dano.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions