Manage your "pre-approved" payments on your PayPal account

Posted 30th Nov 2018
I didn't realise these existed until today, and thought it was well worth sharing (especially coming up to the anniversary of some of last years deals).

I've had a bit of a nightmare trying to cancel the upcoming "renewal" of a subscription that was paid for via PayPal - no problem, right? Isn't PayPal for "one off" payments?

Turns out they aren't! Some might already know this, but many payments get set up as "pre-approved" payments, allowing further monies to be taken without going through the PayPal checkout. This is the equivalent of a Direct Debit basically, so useful for some types of payment/subscription, but definitely worth reviewing for other payments you might not be aware are set up this way. I removed over a dozen that were set up without me realising.

I couldn't find a way to do this on the app, but you can find it on paypal.com via Desktop by logging in, clicking the settings (gear/cog) icon, then clicking the 'Payments' link, and then 'Manage pre-approved payments':
3125592.jpg

On the next page, you can see details of when any were set up, which funding source they use, how much they last took and when, and cancel any you don't want to be active.

Of course you shouldn't cancel anything that is active for a reason (in the same way you shouldn't cancel Direct Debits as a way to cancel a service), but you may find (like I did) that you have some you weren't aware of.

Community Updates
20 Comments
I wonder if this would work with a dating site like match.com / dating direct - seem a lot of posts online from people complaining that they have a nightmare trying to cancel their payments?

Then again, probably best to avoid companies that, allegedly, make it difficult to cancel billing.
Yes, it's very informative and I realized this when I got charged £9.99 for Deezer after the the 3 month or 6 months trial ended. Thank you, it's worth sharing.
tawse574 m ago

I wonder if this would work with a dating site like match.com / dating …I wonder if this would work with a dating site like match.com / dating direct - seem a lot of posts online from people complaining that they have a nightmare trying to cancel their payments?Then again, probably best to avoid companies that, allegedly, make it difficult to cancel billing.

If a person paid via PayPal, then yes it's quite possible.

I have advised a particular subscription company of my intention to not "auto renew" an expiring subscription, but of course they want you to phone a number on a full moon that lands on the 3rd Sunday of Junevember, rather than just offer decent customer service, so it's a technique I have had to resort to
Consistent Admin strikes again....

Why is "view your driving license online" kept visible as a deal, but anything that might actually help people is banished to the corner where no one will benefit from it
This is definitely something more people need to be aware of. They also need to pay more attention when agreeing to things in the first place. PayPal should also make this part of their site more visible.
What companies do this?
bo0td5 m ago

This is definitely something more people need to be aware of. They also …This is definitely something more people need to be aware of. They also need to pay more attention when agreeing to things in the first place. PayPal should also make this part of their site more visible.

Problem is that I don't think they make a clear distinction between one-off payments and "allowing future payments". It may be in size 8 grey writing somewhere, but I don't think they have made it anywhere near as clear as DD agreements are.

I don't think even a vigilant person realises until they check their own "pre-approved" list.
----30/11/2018 21:47

What companies do this?

My list included Microsoft (for Xbox or Microsoft.com purchases I assume), Virgin Money Giving, Netflix, ITV (!?), Just Park, Facebook. I think anyone who you pay through PayPal it seems. Still have an eBay one active.
chuffedfox9 m ago

My list included Microsoft (for Xbox or Microsoft.com purchases I assume), …My list included Microsoft (for Xbox or Microsoft.com purchases I assume), Virgin Money Giving, Netflix, ITV (!?), Just Park, Facebook. I think anyone who you pay through PayPal it seems. Still have an eBay one active.

Nintendo, Oculus, Google, EA, Humble Bundle, Valve, GiffGaff, Snapfish, Zeek, MyMemory, Sony, Rakuten, Square Enix, Spotify. Some of these are obvious as they are subscriptions but, as you've already said, if you aren't paying attention and reading everything on the payment page it's very easy to agree to future payments on individual transactions as it all looks very similar.

I read everything on payment pages since first noticing this.
Is it possible to reactivate a payment once you've cancelled the payment if you changed your mind?
longbowassassin5 m ago

Is it possible to reactivate a payment once you've cancelled the payment …Is it possible to reactivate a payment once you've cancelled the payment if you changed your mind?

I can't see a way to "undo" one - I would assume you just repeat the process you used in the first instance, if required.
Useful to know thanks, have about 8 in mine but none of them are subscriptions, all one-off payments or like facebook, just there so they can message me my paypal transactions. No need to cancel anything that's not a subscription, just makes payments quicker I assume in future.
Thanks OP.
It's a shame you can't fully delete them (from the "inactive" list) after cancelling.
i cant believe people didnt know this, fools and thier money.
athunder16 h, 36 m ago

Useful to know thanks, have about 8 in mine but none of them are …Useful to know thanks, have about 8 in mine but none of them are subscriptions, all one-off payments or like facebook, just there so they can message me my paypal transactions. No need to cancel anything that's not a subscription, just makes payments quicker I assume in future.

I think that's the design, but mine appeared to have some set up that had little excuse to need permission free billing.
I have NOW unlinked my PayPal account from my bank, after PayPal took money from my bank without my knowledge, NEVER received a "personal" (just automated nonsense)reply to my 3 messages to PayPal asking WHY they did it, and my bank were smiley, but hardly useful, because its a DD banks can't stop it...apparently!...
Any GOOD alternatives to PayPal??
After my 9 years of using PayPal, I had enough, got too big, ##ap customer service, too many mistakes, and no one there cares!
Edited by: "renoman" 4th Dec 2018
deleted254180
renoman2 h, 48 m ago

I have NOW unlinked my PayPal account from my bank, after PayPal took …I have NOW unlinked my PayPal account from my bank, after PayPal took money from my bank without my knowledge, NEVER received a "personal" (just automated nonsense)reply to my 3 messages to PayPal asking WHY they did it, and my bank were smiley, but hardly useful, because its a DD banks can't stop it...apparently!...Any GOOD alternatives to PayPal??After my 9 years of using PayPal, I had enough, got too big, ##ap customer service, too many mistakes, and no one there cares!

I doubt that is the whole story to be honest
renoman3 h, 9 m ago

I have NOW unlinked my PayPal account from my bank, after PayPal took …I have NOW unlinked my PayPal account from my bank, after PayPal took money from my bank without my knowledge, NEVER received a "personal" (just automated nonsense)reply to my 3 messages to PayPal asking WHY they did it, and my bank were smiley, but hardly useful, because its a DD banks can't stop it...apparently!...Any GOOD alternatives to PayPal??After my 9 years of using PayPal, I had enough, got too big, ##ap customer service, too many mistakes, and no one there cares!

What was the money that have taken for? If you set up a payment and use your bank account as funding source they will process the payment by direct debit and they don't need your authorisation as you have authorised them when adding a bank account!
The truth is a pre authorised payment authority can be obtained without directly asking as long as it is mentioned somewhere on the site yes somewhere buried within any amount of text and the authorisation for future payments is given by paying for the item with buy now an employee of paypal informed of this themselves
Also PayPal do not have to verify confirm or alert you of this trusted beneficiary status - paypals own terminology
A further note is this authority gives the merchant the ability to take variable amounts at any time and can also give authority to a third party to also take funds
And finally a dispute is futile you gave the authority and told paypal you absolutely trust the merchant with access to all your money when you read every single word on the merchants website and ticked the little box saying you agree to terms so you can not dispute it
I have been caught and tried to deal with it and all points above are clearly written in paypals terms of service you read when signing up remember the document that took you close to an hour to read from start to finish
my advise delete everyone of these and set up a manual method of payment or direct debit which is safe and secure and covered with a dd guarantee I have more fingers on one hand than the amount of people I would give access of this level to my finances and check PayPal pre authorised list daily if not after ever payment made
Chris_Swift0KT27/07/2019 00:15

The truth is a pre authorised payment authority can be obtained without …The truth is a pre authorised payment authority can be obtained without directly asking as long as it is mentioned somewhere on the site yes somewhere buried within any amount of text and the authorisation for future payments is given by paying for the item with buy now an employee of paypal informed of this themselves Also PayPal do not have to verify confirm or alert you of this trusted beneficiary status - paypals own terminologyA further note is this authority gives the merchant the ability to take variable amounts at any time and can also give authority to a third party to also take funds And finally a dispute is futile you gave the authority and told paypal you absolutely trust the merchant with access to all your money when you read every single word on the merchants website and ticked the little box saying you agree to terms so you can not dispute it I have been caught and tried to deal with it and all points above are clearly written in paypals terms of service you read when signing up remember the document that took you close to an hour to read from start to finish my advise delete everyone of these and set up a manual method of payment or direct debit which is safe and secure and covered with a dd guarantee I have more fingers on one hand than the amount of people I would give access of this level to my finances and check PayPal pre authorised list daily if not after ever payment made

Yes - it seems like it's something that people should be aware of, as it isn't obvious when you use PayPal.

However, the owners/staff of this site decided it wasn't allowed any actual 'deal' airtime, despite creating ones about "check your driving license for free" or "check your MOT online" and other stuff that people already know about, but doesn't offer tangible monetary value (which, imo, this does).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants