Groups
    EXPIRED

Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 Courses

Has anybody taken the Prince2 courses for project management?

If so what course provider did you use - would you recommend them?

Any advice would be much appreciated

32 Comments

I did it through my company but can recommend that course only if you use Prince2.

A lot of people take the course, get certified but never uses Prince2. Not saying thats you but in my expierence, I would recommend PMI as a project management certification first unless you need prince2 specifically.

I did the PRINCE2 practitioner, as with above via my company. I think it was with the Learning Tree. One thing I would recommend is doing a residential course. I was travelling to and from the course each day, and with the homework you have to do it would have been alot better to be in hotel rather than a busy home.

Still, at the end of the day you can bring in all the books etc to the final exam so it wasn't all that difficult.

I think it was over £2k for the course, and it's valid for 5 years. Well, it was! It's expired now.

Original Poster

Toybhoy;7692402

I did it through my company but can recommend that course only if you use … I did it through my company but can recommend that course only if you use Prince2.A lot of people take the course, get certified but never uses Prince2. Not saying thats you but in my expierence, I would recommend PMI as a project management certification first unless you need prince2 specifically.

Well im looking at local government jobs and it seems to be the one they require. The courses seem really expensive - £1000 for a 3 day course and exams, so I want to make sure its worth it!

PMI gives you a more definitive understanding of project management. unfortunately it isn't held in the same esteem as Prince 2 in the Uk (or Europe). Anyone can do the Prince 2 exam and pass whereas PMI expects you to prove you have the experience before you can do the exam.

If you are looking for work then go for Prince 2 as that seems to be the only thing most agencies understand.

I passed my Prince 2 exam a few months ago and used Skillsolve - reasonable cost too.

roryk83;7692464

Well im looking at local government jobs and it seems to be the one they … Well im looking at local government jobs and it seems to be the one they require. The courses seem really expensive - £1000 for a 3 day course and exams, so I want to make sure its worth it!

I'm sure you can study for Prince 2 without sitting the course if memory serves me right.

Especially for the foundations exam.

You can buy the material and just sit the exam. Will work out alot cheaper.

Original Poster

Toybhoy;7692512

I'm sure you can study for Prince 2 without sitting the course if memory … I'm sure you can study for Prince 2 without sitting the course if memory serves me right. Especially for the foundations exam. You can buy the material and just sit the exam. Will work out alot cheaper.

Ok, but I dont have much experience (I think) in this field so would not know what to expect in terms of the content and whether I would be able to teach myself the course to a quality to pass.

How did you find the work itself? Difficult?

roryk83;7692571

Ok, but I dont have much experience (I think) in this field so would not … Ok, but I dont have much experience (I think) in this field so would not know what to expect in terms of the content and whether I would be able to teach myself the course to a quality to pass.How did you find the work itself? Difficult?

To be honest, the foundation exam is relatively straight forward and the exam is multiple choice.

As long as you study the material and put some effort into it, you should be fine.

Infact, most people I know did it this way rather than paying thousands for the course and I've not met someone who's failed yet. It will be challanging but its perfectly do-able.

The only reason why I suggested PMI is that most people who do Prince2 have no background in PM and only do it because its a requirement.

The important thing to remember is that Prince2 is not PM as such but more a tool that is used in PM but like above poster said, its a very desireable qualification to have in the UK and I absolutely wish you luck in attaining it. :thumbsup:

edit: oh and I personally found the work fine but then I am a PM myself so can't compare. Sorry!

Original Poster

[QUOTE=

I passed my Prince 2 exam a few months ago and used Skillsolve - reasonable cost too.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt seem to be an accredited organisation with AMPG UK

I have looked at this too, I have been working as a PM\Producer for nearly 10 years but want a bit of paper that everyone seems to ask for these days. Let me know what you find and i'll do the same

Original Poster

Toybhoy;7692655

To be honest, the foundation exam is relatively straight forward and the … To be honest, the foundation exam is relatively straight forward and the exam is multiple choice. As long as you study the material and put some effort into it, you should be fine.Infact, most people I know did it this way rather than paying thousands for the course and I've not met someone who's failed yet. It will be challanging but its perfectly do-able.The only reason why I suggested PMI is that most people who do Prince2 have no background in PM and only do it because its a requirement. The important thing to remember is that Prince2 is not PM as such but more a tool that is used in PM but like above poster said, its a very desireable qualification to have in the UK and I absolutely wish you luck in attaining it. :thumbsup:edit: oh and I personally found the work fine but then I am a PM myself so can't compare. Sorry!

Thanks for that info - very useful. I think I might take a crack at the foundation without the course then, did you use amazon.co.uk/Man…8-1 ? Or did you need other materials as well?

I've got a background in commercial law so I'm not scared of a bit of hard work and think I should be able to handle the content

I've left rep for you btw:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7692735

I have looked at this too, I have been working as a PM\Producer for … I have looked at this too, I have been working as a PM\Producer for nearly 10 years but want a bit of paper that everyone seems to ask for these days. Let me know what you find and i'll do the same

Do you mind expanding on what type of duties you are usually expected to carry out in pm? Just want as much real info as possible!

Original Poster

Babbabooey;7692452

I did the PRINCE2 practitioner, as with above via my company. I think it … I did the PRINCE2 practitioner, as with above via my company. I think it was with the Learning Tree. One thing I would recommend is doing a residential course. I was travelling to and from the course each day, and with the homework you have to do it would have been alot better to be in hotel rather than a busy home.Still, at the end of the day you can bring in all the books etc to the final exam so it wasn't all that difficult.I think it was over £2k for the course, and it's valid for 5 years. Well, it was! It's expired now.

£2K!!! bloody hell, hope theres cheaper ways to do it. Need to get a job I enjoy and at the moment everything I look at is asking for Prince2 but obviously theres no guarantee of a job even if I get it

Rep added

roryk83;7692759

Thanks for that info - very useful. I think I might take a crack at the … Thanks for that info - very useful. I think I might take a crack at the foundation without the course then, did you use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Managing-Successful-Projects-PRINCE2-2009/dp/0113310595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264772121&sr=8-1 ? Or did you need other materials as well?I've got a background in commercial law so I'm not scared of a bit of hard work and think I should be able to handle the contentI've left rep for you btw:thumbsup:

I can't remember what material I used. Its been a few years now mate.

Although i've known people who have downloaded course materials from torrents and used that but thats not my area. I'll leave the researching and sourcing course material to you

Good luck pal. PM is a fun job to be in. Hope you like coffee and browsing the internet all day :thumbsup:

roryk83;7692800

£2K!!! bloody hell, hope theres cheaper ways to do it. Need to get a … £2K!!! bloody hell, hope theres cheaper ways to do it. Need to get a job I enjoy and at the moment everything I look at is asking for Prince2 but obviously theres no guarantee of a job even if I get itRep added

Yep, it's a fair whack, but thanks to the unique way the bbc is funded by you the public it didn't cost me a penny:thumbsup:

Bear in mind there are two PRINCE qualifications - the foundation and the practitioner. If you're going to fork out the money yourself you may as well get the practitioner. The foundation one is a multiple choice paper, and lets be honest if you can't pass a multiple choice paper then there aint much hope for ya, so hardly valuable.

Chuckles1001;7692735

I have looked at this too, I have been working as a PM\Producer for … I have looked at this too, I have been working as a PM\Producer for nearly 10 years but want a bit of paper that everyone seems to ask for these days. Let me know what you find and i'll do the same

Have you considered being a PMI Certified PMP?

That's the highest level of project management certification and globally is the most desireable.

Skillsolve are under the umbrella of SPOCE.

Foundation exam is relatively straight forward and you don't need any training. Get yourself the process map which is easily picked up from google and past exam papers.

The practioner exam has changed to multiple choice which has made it harder as you have to get two answers right to get 1 mark and the percentage pass mark has increased.

Original Poster

Babbabooey;7692834

Yep, it's a fair whack, but thanks to the unique way the bbc is funded by … Yep, it's a fair whack, but thanks to the unique way the bbc is funded by you the public it didn't cost me a penny:thumbsup:Bear in mind there are two PRINCE qualifications - the foundation and the practitioner. If you're going to fork out the money yourself you may as well get the practitioner. The foundation one is a multiple choice paper, and lets be honest if you can't pass a multiple choice paper then there aint much hope for ya, so hardly valuable.

Absolutely no way I'll be able to afford that:x Im doing bar work at the moment just to pay some bills, had to leave my old job due to family illness and the recession has killed off the legal field for young lawyers. Already got a ton of debt due to the LPC that I did so a loan is out of the question

roryk83;7692768

Do you mind expanding on what type of duties you are usually expected to … Do you mind expanding on what type of duties you are usually expected to carry out in pm? Just want as much real info as possible!

The list is endless for me lol, most of my work is Producer work but 80% of it is PM work, I deal with internal and external partners with Milestones etc, Create and Develop multiple Project reports, deal with any problems with 100+ internal staff, organise budgets, Chair meetings, Daily chats with departmental leads, adding tasks to a task tracking software, leading the direction of company tools, liaising with external vendors such as MS/Sony/Nintendpo/Dolby etc etc, help organise QA. Organising materials for PR & marketing. There is a lot more but that is a good chunk lol
    I know 2 people who have done the Price2 Practitioner course within the last 6 months and both passed in the week long course, and 1 paid 1500ish (he got food and a hotel for 5 days) and the other was about £950

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;7692950

The list is endless for me lol, most of my work is Producer work but 80% … The list is endless for me lol, most of my work is Producer work but 80% of it is PM work, I deal with internal and external partners with Milestones etc, Create and Develop multiple Project reports, deal with any problems with 100+ internal staff, organise budgets, Chair meetings, Daily chats with departmental leads, adding tasks to a task tracking software, leading the direction of company tools, liaising with external vendors such as MS/Sony/Nintendpo/Dolby etc etc, help organise QA. Organising materials for PR & marketing. There is a lot more but that is a good chunk lolI know 2 people who have done the Price2 Practitioner course within the last 6 months and both passed in the week long course, and 1 paid 1500ish (he got food and a hotel for 5 days) and the other was about £950

Thanks, its good to flesh out whats actually involved. Im not sure whether or not I'll need to get a background book on PM before I get into Prince2 tho

Toybhoy;7692839

Have you considered being a PMI Certified PMP?That's the highest level of … Have you considered being a PMI Certified PMP?That's the highest level of project management certification and globally is the most desireable.

Hi, never really considered it and TBH never really looked into it at, my sectror is more about Prince2/Agile and scrum master qualifications

so what is the main difference with PMI certified PMP compared to Prince2? It seems a lot more money nearly double that of Prince2

roryk83;7692990

Thanks, its good to flesh out whats actually involved. Im not sure … Thanks, its good to flesh out whats actually involved. Im not sure whether or not I'll need to get a background book on PM before I get into Prince2 tho

I think you REALLY should, beef up your PM skills before going down a route within PM'ing, when i first got into it I was advised to do a 'Business Management course' (cant remember which one) as the one i was advised about the senior PM swore blind was the best way as it gives you a general knowledge and he thought it was better then Price2 and he has both, he was also a Senior PM at Rolls Royce and said doing a Prince2 Course b4 learning any project Management or working within the environment was like learning to Fly a 747 before knowing how to fly a single propeller airplane (Dam PMs analogies are good, i know that now) lol

Chuckles1001;7692950

The list is endless for me lol, most of my work is Producer work but 80% … The list is endless for me lol, most of my work is Producer work but 80% of it is PM work, I deal with internal and external partners with Milestones etc, Create and Develop multiple Project reports, deal with any problems with 100+ internal staff, organise budgets, Chair meetings, Daily chats with departmental leads, adding tasks to a task tracking software, leading the direction of company tools, liaising with external vendors such as MS/Sony/Nintendpo/Dolby etc etc, help organise QA. Organising materials for PR & marketing. There is a lot more but that is a good chunk lolI know 2 people who have done the Price2 Practitioner course within the last 6 months and both passed in the week long course, and 1 paid 1500ish (he got food and a hotel for 5 days) and the other was about £950

the 1500ish one do you know which company he did the course with ?

gurujosh;7693803

the 1500ish one do you know which company he did the course with ?

Not sure sorry, i can find out but would not be for a little while as he is away in the US on buisness for the next 6 weeks, sorry but if you remind me i will when he gets back?

I did this 3 years ago, prior to that had been in a PM role for about 4 years so had good background knowledge of all of the main principles, plus am an accountant by trade

benchmark-training.co.uk/

Now work in the MoD as a PM, contracting and get involved in all aspects from writing business cases to compiling project plans, chairing meetings, tender evaluation etc

Worthwhile for me although there isn't anyone else with this qualification.....:)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Chuckles1001;7694294

Not sure sorry, i can find out but would not be for a little while as he … Not sure sorry, i can find out but would not be for a little while as he is away in the US on buisness for the next 6 weeks, sorry but if you remind me i will when he gets back?

no probs will do

gurujosh;7697839

no probs will do

Cool, just shout me then

I just bought a couple of books, and paid to sit the exams for both certs, TBH I dont use any of it in my day to day role, for me its just a door opener.

DKLS;7701081

I just bought a couple of books, and paid to sit the exams for both … I just bought a couple of books, and paid to sit the exams for both certs, TBH I dont use any of it in my day to day role, for me its just a door opener.

Cool, so going to let us know what where and when? lol What books did you get and how long studying time have you given yourself to read the books b4 doing the exams?, also how much were your exams only? Good luck BTW

I'm sitting the foundation and practitioner courses this week. Is it worth reading the Prince2 for dummies book for some hints and tips to make my life easier. I've done a workbook on the themes and principles of Prince2 so far

Redking

£2K!!! bloody hell, hope theres cheaper ways to do it. Need to get a … £2K!!! bloody hell, hope theres cheaper ways to do it. Need to get a job I enjoy and at the moment everything I look at is asking for Prince2 but obviously theres no guarantee of a job even if I get itRep added

In the same boat now... 6 years on dare I ask how it went/what life had in store?

Original Poster

stevoiac

In the same boat now... 6 years on dare I ask how it went/what life had … In the same boat now... 6 years on dare I ask how it went/what life had in store?

I didn't pursue it in the end. I moved to Brussels and worked for a European Commission agency on public policy issues. Did that for two years before moving back to the UK to work for an internet company - a mix of legal and policy duties. Enjoyed it at first, but tired of it now. My company are great though as they've agreed to sponsor me to pursue the company secretary corporate governance qualification, which is a masters level one which should open up a whole new field of opportunities for me.

Redking

I didn't pursue it in the end. I moved to Brussels and worked for a … I didn't pursue it in the end. I moved to Brussels and worked for a European Commission agency on public policy issues. Did that for two years before moving back to the UK to work for an internet company - a mix of legal and policy duties. Enjoyed it at first, but tired of it now. My company are great though as they've agreed to sponsor me to pursue the company secretary corporate governance qualification, which is a masters level one which should open up a whole new field of opportunities for me.

Haha, that's funny... I'm looking at moving out of Corporate Governance, was just in a cosec/account manager role but left it all to go travelling. Looking at PM work next. Hope it all goes well for you, thanks for replying.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Currys Return33
      2. How long do CEX take to process a bank transfer?87
      3. I would not recommend anyone to buy tickets in viagogo33
      4. HP Instant Ink 4 month trial setup?1827

See more discussions