Manchester Airport going to start charging for drop offs

Found 20th Mar
Another money making exercise wrapped up in some excuse about congestion problems that I have yet to encounter though we live locally.

manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new…290
Community Updates
Misc
31 Comments
bit like Birmingham then
rip off Glasgow has been £2 to drop off for ages now and no difference in the congestion problems they claimed this would fix
Edited by: "jase.2" 20th Mar
Newcastle is the same, although a bargain at a £1. A free drop off exists, but it's a canny hike to the terminal.
Think Liverpool charge £3 for drop offs
what a joke, another tax draped in eco-policy, should be illegal.
LHR doesn’t charge for drop off (yet) but pick up isn’t allowed, you have to park either in short stay car park (£££) or long stay for free.
Stanstead changes £3 for max 10 minutes drop off. What a ripoff.
It’s trying to encourage people to use buses or taxis. It’s only a few quid and if your dropping people off to save them money it’s hardly worth worrying about!
cmdr_elito8 m ago

It’s trying to encourage people to use buses or taxis. It’s only a few qui …It’s trying to encourage people to use buses or taxis. It’s only a few quid and if your dropping people off to save them money it’s hardly worth worrying about!

Thing is though that the taxis have to pay drop off charge too! Which just gets added onto the fare! Its just money making scam.

Alls that will end up happening is people will find the nearest free drop off point which will probably be outside someones house which is next to the airport.
It won't stop congestion, people will just drop them off just outside the Airport's grounds to get away with paying the £3 fee.
Paddy_o_furniture1 h, 38 m ago

Newcastle is the same, although a bargain at a £1. A free drop off …Newcastle is the same, although a bargain at a £1. A free drop off exists, but it's a canny hike to the terminal.

Yeah the drop off point is in Sunderland
I don’t mind

I’m that close I could walk
Liverpool have been charging for years
To be honest I would not mind paying a nominal £1 for a quick drop off (or pick up if there was a place to park not that far away so that family/friends could call when ready). I am sure it would avoid people avoiding charges altogether but £3 is a liberty and not justifiable at all. Not everybody using the airport can use public transport at the times they need it.
Most Airports charge. With low fare airlines taking the lions share of business. Any hit other ideas to keep regional airports trading?
Also most of the time flying isn’t essential travel. What’s £1-3 on a holiday?
Well sorry mum and dad, you can now get a taxi when you jet off to Benidorm again.
Oneday776 h, 14 m ago

Most Airports charge. With low fare airlines taking the lions share of …Most Airports charge. With low fare airlines taking the lions share of business. Any hit other ideas to keep regional airports trading?Also most of the time flying isn’t essential travel. What’s £1-3 on a holiday?

Where does the tax go...it shouldn't be taken from people on a large scale to fix a problem which doesn't exist. Principles matter.
davewave11 m ago

Where does the tax go...it shouldn't be taken from people on a large scale …Where does the tax go...it shouldn't be taken from people on a large scale to fix a problem which doesn't exist. Principles matter.

Which level of government is collecting the Tax? I guess you mean charge.

Airports are private land. The area outside has to be maintained and ‘policed’. The charge while masquerading as an environmental policy. Reduces drains on maintenance and parking enforcement for the airport.
Face it people are naturally lazy, the only way we do as recommended is hit us in the pocket.
Oneday7731 m ago

Which level of government is collecting the Tax? I guess you mean …Which level of government is collecting the Tax? I guess you mean charge.Airports are private land. The area outside has to be maintained and ‘policed’. The charge while masquerading as an environmental policy. Reduces drains on maintenance and parking enforcement for the airport. Face it people are naturally lazy, the only way we do as recommended is hit us in the pocket.

Airport tax already exists...just an extra bonus for the owner, captive market.
cmdr_elito9 h, 29 m ago

It’s trying to encourage people to use buses or taxis. It’s only a few qui …It’s trying to encourage people to use buses or taxis. It’s only a few quid and if your dropping people off to save them money it’s hardly worth worrying about!

It's about ripping people off to fund dividends and bosses pay packets.
cmdr_elito9 h, 50 m ago

SteMoss9 h, 42 m ago

Thing is though that the taxis have to pay drop off charge too! Which just …Thing is though that the taxis have to pay drop off charge too! Which just gets added onto the fare! Its just money making scam. Alls that will end up happening is people will find the nearest free drop off point which will probably be outside someones house which is next to the airport.

I've never understood why taxis get any kind of concession due to environmental/congestion issues.
If you drive you go from point A to point B and stop, a taxi goes from Point A (wherever it is) to Point B (your location) to point C (drop off point) and finally back to point D (back to base etc)
How does that save on congestion? There is still one vehicle doing the route but it has now added another 2 routes to that journey.
davewave1 h, 26 m ago

Airport tax already exists...just an extra bonus for the owner, captive …Airport tax already exists...just an extra bonus for the owner, captive market.

Yes Airport tax does exist that is levied by government. This is not a tax, it is a money earning exercise with other benefits to the land owner.
Satan_Claws1 h, 7 m ago

I've never understood why taxis get any kind of concession due to …I've never understood why taxis get any kind of concession due to environmental/congestion issues. If you drive you go from point A to point B and stop, a taxi goes from Point A (wherever it is) to Point B (your location) to point C (drop off point) and finally back to point D (back to base etc)How does that save on congestion? There is still one vehicle doing the route but it has now added another 2 routes to that journey.

Taxis mostly don’t go back to base. Many will park up near their last drop or have a drop lined up straight afterwards. It is more efficient than everyone using their own car but only marginally and does not require huge car parks to house them all.
ccnp1 h, 30 m ago

It's about ripping people off to fund dividends and bosses pay packets.

Well executives pay is a massive issue and I think there should be a max ratio between lowest paid staff and top staff to encourage fairer pay for normal workers. So if the executives want a pay rise they will have to pay their cleaners (typically lowest paid in office scenario) more as well as other staff in that bracket and that should apply even if outsourced.
Creator of yet more low paid job opportunities that attracts workers globally.
Why don't they just increase the airline charges, no increase in people and outsourcing abroad for staff to maintain IT systems?!
Oneday774 h, 23 m ago

Yes Airport tax does exist that is levied by government. This is not a …Yes Airport tax does exist that is levied by government. This is not a tax, it is a money earning exercise with other benefits to the land owner.

Who gives a monkeys about the land owner, running an airport provides more than ample benefit in terms of expensive parking, leases for shops and restaurants onsite without an unnecessary charge for simply dropping off more customers/passengers.
Bournemouth have charged for years - and now made it almost impossible to walk on to the site too.

The thing is, if they just added an extra quid on to everyone's flights, nobody would bat an eyelid and the chances are they'd make more money overall!
miikeyblue21st Mar

Bournemouth have charged for years - and now made it almost impossible to …Bournemouth have charged for years - and now made it almost impossible to walk on to the site too.The thing is, if they just added an extra quid on to everyone's flights, nobody would bat an eyelid and the chances are they'd make more money overall!

Yeah but that way we wouldn't be able to hate on airports and their relentless greed.
Don’t it a while there yeah - impossible and unsafe to have everybody Curb the entrance of an airport. We get to Birmingham International Train Station and use the Maglev across its free !! Maybe I should post it as a deal
miikeyblue21st Mar

Bournemouth have charged for years - and now made it almost impossible to …Bournemouth have charged for years - and now made it almost impossible to walk on to the site too.The thing is, if they just added an extra quid on to everyone's flights, nobody would bat an eyelid and the chances are they'd make more money overall!

You're probably right there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants