Groups

mandarin chinese or italian

my son is choosing his a level subjects and doesnt know whether to take mandarin chinese or italian, he already does french and spanish, which do you think out of the two would be more beneficial please opinions/help needed.

19 Comments

Banned

Maths, Physics and Economics

and he can do accounting for fun too...

Original Poster

if your not going to help why bother posting

It really depends what field he wants to go into.

hmmm is he studying to be an interpreter?
    I would guess chinese would be harder to learn.... and probably harder to find a job using it. I personaly would stick with Italian...but it's up to him, what does he think about each of them?

Banned

bargainhunter5;3744838

if your not going to help why bother posting

because its free.

I hope he knows what he wants to do as a career.

Original Poster

he is so unsure what to do hence me asking on here lol ! he wants to do something with languages when he leaves school as that really is a strong point of his, he is 15 but unsure whether he wants to be an interpreter or not

I imagine that Chinese is harder to learn so i'd suggest that since he is young he should tackle the more difficult language first.

European languages are easier to learn but chinese would be excellent in business. If he's grasped Spanish then Italiano will be a POP for him

Original Poster

thanks for your helpful comments he will appreciate that

Banned

bargainhunter5;3744880

he is so unsure what to do hence me asking on here lol ! he wants to do … he is so unsure what to do hence me asking on here lol ! he wants to do something with languages when he leaves school as that really is a strong point of his, he is 15 but unsure whether he wants to be an interpreter or not

well he is kind of putting himself into a neat little box.... interpreter or teacher...hmm...

what other A-levels is he doing? apart from French? if he is good with maths then a language with maths and one more core subject will open him up to many opportunities.

if he is smart encourage him to do four a-levels.

A-levels are probably the most important qualifications with regards to professional jobs.

The transition to learning Italian after doing French and Spanish will be very easy - I speak from experience. In fact as they all use the latin base they cross over very much - sometimes annoyingly so. I went from doing French/Spanish/Italian to doing Russian, and I found that a real challenge - and I imagine Mandarin would do the same. You need to learn a whole different alphabet, non familiar sounds (that don't exist in western languages). If he want's to push himself with a view to doing interpreting/translation or using languages in business or teaching, then Mandarin is a great opportunity. But remember, to do things like translation/interpreting/teaching the language is another ball game - you have to get special training to be qualified to do that in recognized quarters. Good luck to him.

i personally take Busness Studies, I.T., Maths and Physics and from B.S lessons... i would say learn chinese as china is a growing country and industry and is soon going to tak over America as the most powerful country so if he learned chinese it would be probably be easier to get a job and a better paid job in the future

No question about it........... got to be mandarin, once you know mandarin you can travel anywhere in china & do business , and business in China is growing !!! Think about it......

Original Poster

thanks everyone

Mandarin. More opportunities for future employment due to the head count of people who speak it in comparison to Italian. Plus its cooler.

I'd be very surprised if they will let him do 3 languages btw. You usually have to pick some sort of variety.

diggergraves;3744900

European languages are easier to learn but chinese would be excellent in … European languages are easier to learn but chinese would be excellent in business. If he's grasped Spanish then Italiano will be a POP for him

franbo60;3745052

The transition to learning Italian after doing French and Spanish will be … The transition to learning Italian after doing French and Spanish will be very easy - I speak from experience. In fact as they all use the latin base they cross over very much - sometimes annoyingly so. I went from doing French/Spanish/Italian to doing Russian, and I found that a real challenge - and I imagine Mandarin would do the same. You need to learn a whole different alphabet, non familiar sounds (that don't exist in western languages). If he want's to push himself with a view to doing interpreting/translation or using languages in business or teaching, then Mandarin is a great opportunity. But remember, to do things like translation/interpreting/teaching the language is another ball game - you have to get special training to be qualified to do that in recognized quarters. Good luck to him.

Yes ^^^

China is the next super power in industry and business. Speaking fluent chinese could be very benificial and open up many job opportunities in the future.

Original Poster

highguyuk;3748743

I'd be very surprised if they will let him do 3 languages btw. You … I'd be very surprised if they will let him do 3 languages btw. You usually have to pick some sort of variety.

yes he is allowed to do three languages he has been doing french and spanish since he joined senior school and now he is going into sixth form next year he can choose another language should he wish to do so
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      3. Vegan (Non-Dairy) Ben & Jerrys now launched in UK!1827
      4. Apples new update610

See more discussions