Groups

mango scam at tesco self-service till

Tesco self-service shopper arrested after trying to steal £30 of shopping by repeatedly scanning a 52p mango...

didn't a famous chef try a similar trick a few years ago to obtain cheese?

30 Comments

Move over war and famine - we've got a rogue shopper.:|

seb

...didn't a famous chef try a similar trick a few years ago to obtain … ...didn't a famous chef try a similar trick a few years ago to obtain cheese?

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…865 ]

They should have let the man-go.

OldEnglish

They should have let the man-go.

ah the simple ones are the best.. thats why we like you oldenglish

brilly

ah the simple ones are the best.. thats why we like you oldenglish

I'am pretty simple myself brilly. X)

OldEnglish

I'am pretty simple myself brilly. X)

[ oldenglishtranslator.co.uk ]

Translate (to Modern English): I'am

Word not found

fanpages

[ http://www.OldEnglishTranslator.co.uk ]Translate (to Modern English): … [ http://www.OldEnglishTranslator.co.uk ]Translate (to Modern English): I'amWord not found

OldEnglish

You should be happy. Not everyone is lucky enough to be pulled by fanpages. He must like you

deeky

You should be happy. Not everyone is lucky enough to be pulled by … You should be happy. Not everyone is lucky enough to be pulled by fanpages. He must like you

*I'm not on his Christmas card list.

OldEnglish

*I'm not on his Christmas card list.

Just bide your time. If you wait long enough you might get a chance for revenge. Although tbh, you might be in for a long weight X)

(see if he notices the deliberate mistake ^^ :p)

Edited by: "deeky" 21st Sep 2016

What a **** idiot

he got caught.

deeky

Just bide your time. If you wait long enough you might get a chance for … Just bide your time. If you wait long enough you might get a chance for revenge. Although tbh, you might be in for a long weight X)

Is this one long enough for you? X)
    http://www.bebodysmart.com/mmDEF/Images/61860_1_.jpg

OldEnglish

Is this one long enough for you? X);)

You're supposed to checking on fp, not me

seb

details - … details - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-shopper-arrested-after-trying-8880984

I thought these self scanners went by weight of the items???

seb

details - … details - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-shopper-arrested-after-trying-8880984

"Fraudster Aidon Byrne, 22,... ...of Friars Way, Macclesfield, admitted fraud by false representation... Debbie Byrne, prosecuting, said..."

[ metro.co.uk/201…02/ ]

"...Peter Casson, defending, said Byrne was a joiner who had worked for the same company in Stockport for a number of years."

How many times did he join the same company over those years?

"Feel the Byrne" {That was is for you; deeky & OldEnglish}

Perhaps the next supermarket-themed scam will be...

"Students can now get 10% off ALL food at Morrisons - and here's what you need to know"

[ mirror.co.uk/mon…656 ]

summerof76

I thought these self scanners went by weight of the items???

A barcode for the reduced price of a mango (to 52p) was stuck to a credit card & the code was repeatedly scanned (not the original mango, nor any item selected from the store).

I presume Tesco have set their scanning tills to allows items reduced in price in this manner to be added to the bagging area regardless of their weight. For every scan of the barcode a full price item was just added to the pile.

fanpages

A barcode for the reduced price of a mango (to 52p) was stuck to a credit … A barcode for the reduced price of a mango (to 52p) was stuck to a credit card & the code was repeatedly scanned (not the original mango, nor any item selected from the store).I presume Tesco have set their scanning tills to allows items reduced in price in this manner to be added to the bagging area regardless of their weight. For every scan of the barcode a full price item was just added to the pile.

I never read the link and thanks for clearing that up

fanpages

A barcode for the reduced price of a mango (to 52p) was stuck to a credit … A barcode for the reduced price of a mango (to 52p) was stuck to a credit card & the code was repeatedly scanned (not the original mango, nor any item selected from the store).I presume Tesco have set their scanning tills to allows items reduced in price in this manner to be added to the bagging area regardless of their weight. For every scan of the barcode a full price item was just added to the pile.

So what you're saying is he could've scanned the reduced item just once, and put his basket on the other side of the scanner instead of moving items across one at a time?

I mean, if he's going to be a shoplifter, he should've paid only 52p for his diversion rather than £25.

Any shoplifting "advice" is the view of the poster, and is not representative of hotukdeals.com nor its owners or affiliates. All rights reserved. E&OE.

Don't shoplift, kids.

Late

...Any shoplifting "advice" is the view of the poster, and is not … ...Any shoplifting "advice" is the view of the poster, and is not representative of hotukdeals.com nor its owners or affiliates. All rights reserved. E&OE....

Really?

[ bitterwallet.com/ban…801 ]

--- fanpages; 5 years ago ---

No, it is not just you, Stustaff.

HotUKDeals also allow "deals" highlighting pricing errors at supermarket checkouts where customers can knowingly walk in & out with goods at a reduced rate.

For example,

[ hotukdeals.com/dea…123 ]

In the end it is the consumer that suffers when the retailer increases their prices to offset the loss. In this case, all that was despatched for the many, many fraudulent orders has been cancellation e-mails.

You could argue, however, that promoting the "software glitch" at HotUKDeals & BitterWallet alerted Zavvi to the issue sooner. Without intervention a few customers may have benefited.

A result? Well done BitterWallet!
    ---

fanpages

Really?[ … Really?[ https://www.bitterwallet.com/banking/deal-klaxon-the-zavvi-glitch-that-could-save-you-many-quids-39801 ]--- fanpages; 5 years ago ---No, it is not just you, Stustaff.HotUKDeals also allow "deals" highlighting pricing errors at supermarket checkouts where customers can knowingly walk in & out with goods at a reduced rate.For example,[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/knottingley-morrisons-cashback-cock/536123 ]In the end it is the consumer that suffers when the retailer increases their prices to offset the loss. In this case, all that was despatched for the many, many fraudulent orders has been cancellation e-mails.You could argue, however, that promoting the "software glitch" at HotUKDeals & BitterWallet alerted Zavvi to the issue sooner. Without intervention a few customers may have benefited.A result? Well done BitterWallet!---

Who the feck is that Shut M? I kill him *insert angry faced smiley here

Any shoplifting "advice" is the view of the poster, and is not … Any shoplifting "advice" is the view of the poster, and is not representative of hotukdeals.com* nor its owners or affiliates. All rights reserved. E&OE.

*Though occasionally viewpoints may coincide...

Better?

deeky

Who the feck is that Shut M? I kill him *insert angry faced smiley here

One of the ex-staff writers at BitterWallet.com.

Probably.

It was a pseudonym used just for that one reply.

Late

*Though occasionally viewpoints may coincide... ;)Better?

Bitter.

it is time to get rid of these tills, fed up with them

He must of been bananas to think he could get away with it

miles136

it is time to get rid of these tills, fed up with them

you're not forced to use them! oO

chocci

you're not forced to use them! oO

yes you are after 10 30 pm in our tesco no till staff on

miles136

yes you are after 10 30 pm in our tesco no till staff on

Thats crazy!

chocci

Thats crazy!

all part of the saving money to build big profits for the share holders, I never use them until forced, they put ppl out of work, the next thing they are trying to get us to do is scan while we shop
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927364
      2. Spotify Family Premium share715
      3. word association Game73944490
      4. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1423

See more discussions