Groups

manners

People of hotukdeals,

Need some advice here!

Went to watch a movie with this gal...

scene in this movie:
    lady and gent are having dinner. Lady stands up to go to bathroom.. gent gets half up... and sits back down... chick I was with went "ahhhhh"

When did that become gentlemanly? I know the holding door open, pulling the chair back for the lady... but this blew me away... have I missed something?
    Normally good with manners.

Ahhh? =/ any advice would be kewl!

5nowman

32 Comments

always good manners for a guy to stand when a lady either leaves the table or joins it....

Respect or good dining etiquette

arcangel111;8658479

always good manners for a guy to stand when a lady either leaves the … always good manners for a guy to stand when a lady either leaves the table or joins it....

have seen it happen!

if my OH gets up to go to the bathroom, I stay seated, ignore her, rifle through her handbag if she leaves it behind, then have a nosey around the restaurant to see if there's any talent about.

Gentleman or what?

They do this in 'Pretty Woman' when she is in the restaurant. She says she is going to go powder her nose and the three guys stand up then sit back down.

I went out with a couple of guys who always opened the passenger door for me, passed me the seatbelt then closed the door before going round to the driver's side and getting in.

lilraul;8658485

have seen it happen!

its not so common anymore, i would do it for my bird at a resteraunt etc but not for any bird

micoo;8658490

its not so common anymore, i would do it for my bird at a resteraunt etc … its not so common anymore, i would do it for my bird at a resteraunt etc but not for any bird

BIRD,...............BIRD................micoo come on!!! that old saying springs to mind...............that the bird is out on a date with her wee wiggly worm

Bird is horrible!!!!!!!

it's called chivalry

Banned

bossyboots;8658498

BIRD,...............BIRD................micoo come on!!! that old saying … BIRD,...............BIRD................micoo come on!!! that old saying springs to mind...............that the bird is out on a date with her wee wiggly wormBird is horrible!!!!!!!

Yes, the correct term is tart :-D

I agree with micoo's sentiment if not his vocabulary

jubbyme;8658514

Yes, the correct term is tart :-D

mmmm, yeah suppose thats appropriate when we are talking about Micoo :w00t:

oohh sorry Micoo :-D

bossyboots;8658574

mmmm, yeah suppose thats appropriate when we are talking about Micoo … mmmm, yeah suppose thats appropriate when we are talking about Micoo :w00t:oohh sorry Micoo :-D

Does that mean AF was a t....nope, she'll kill me!! :w00t:

fern37;8658488

I went out with a couple of guys who always opened the passenger door for … I went out with a couple of guys who always opened the passenger door for me, passed me the seatbelt then closed the door before going round to the driver's side and getting in.

I bet they charged a fortune! What was the taxi like inside?

Banned

never understood how this was termed 'good manners'. Holding a door open, yes, pulling back the chair, yes, but standing up is just ridiculous.

Banned

schizoboy;8658538

I agree with micoo's sentiment if not his vocabulary

LOL - thats what I thought :-D

fern37;8658488

They do this in 'Pretty Woman' when she is in the restaurant. She says … They do this in 'Pretty Woman' when she is in the restaurant. She says she is going to go powder her nose and the three guys stand up then sit back down.I went out with a couple of guys who always opened the passenger door for me, passed me the seatbelt then closed the door before going round to the driver's side and getting in.

Definitely worthy of the Awwwwwwwwwwwww factor

just treat people with the respect you would expect, we are supposed to be equals these days so don't really think standing for the (little lady)applies any more, maybe that makes me a caveman,:thinking:

lukekey;8659007

just treat people with the respect you would expect, we are supposed to … just treat people with the respect you would expect, we are supposed to be equals these days so don't really think standing for the (little lady)applies any more, maybe that makes me a caveman,:thinking:

Really depends on the girl I reckon, albeit if you walk into somewhere and let the door smack into a woman behind you then it is a bit of a chivalry fail.

csiman;8658938

never understood how this was termed 'good manners'. Holding a door open, … never understood how this was termed 'good manners'. Holding a door open, yes, pulling back the chair, yes, but standing up is just ridiculous.

I am not a particular fan of the standing-up part of chivalry, but that is apparently the rule.

It comes from the modification of the Primate greeting ceremonies and courtship and hierarchy behaviour.

If a primate remains seated when another primate appears, it means they are inferior to you and are no threat or interest.

So, since the female is the centre of your universe, you show she is more important than you by not remaining seated.

Otherwise you do not get your leg over later.

And who said chivalry is dead!!!

In other words, whenever she is standing, so must you be. Like the Queen. Or your managing directors, when they appear at your place of work and want to shake your hand.

Gawd help you if you stay sat down and shake their hand, it is an insult to the kind of class-A male/female that makes it to the top of the corporate ladder.

I'm all for chivalry but this one is not included in my repertoire.
    It would feel a little awkward.

MBeeching;8659430

I'm all for chivalry but this one is not included in my repertoire.It … I'm all for chivalry but this one is not included in my repertoire.It would feel a little awkward.

A decade into the 21st century, standing up every time any female sat or left the same room/table?

Absurd springs to mind so I agree.

Banned

mateypeeps;8659122

I am not a particular fan of the standing-up part of chivalry, but that … I am not a particular fan of the standing-up part of chivalry, but that is apparently the rule.It comes from the modification of the Primate greeting ceremonies and courtship and hierarchy behaviour.If a primate remains seated when another primate appears, it means they are inferior to you and are no threat or interest.So, since the female is the centre of your universe, you show she is more important than you by not remaining seated.Otherwise you do not get your leg over later.And who said chivalry is dead!!!In other words, whenever she is standing, so must you be. Like the Queen. Or your managing directors, when they appear at your place of work and want to shake your hand.Gawd help you if you stay sat down and shake their hand, it is an insult to the kind of class-A male/female that makes it to the top of the corporate ladder.

You learn something new every day :thumbsup:
    schizoboy;8659449

A decade into the 21st century, standing up every time any female sat or … A decade into the 21st century, standing up every time any female sat or left the same room/table?Absurd springs to mind so I agree.

I think I'd laugh inwardly if I saw a bloke doing this :-D

unless they were 80+, then I'd just think it's sweet

Sign of the times.

It's called a "Degenerative Society". Finding anyone with even basic manners today, in this country is an achievement, soon even they will be gone.

Sad really, but then that's the way of Britain.

059;8659628

Finding anyone with even basic manners today, in this country is an … Finding anyone with even basic manners today, in this country is an achievement, soon even they will be gone.

I hope I'm not gone too soon... I'm only 22! Plenty of manners here *burps*

fern37;8658488

They do this in 'Pretty Woman' when she is in the restaurant. She says … They do this in 'Pretty Woman' when she is in the restaurant. She says she is going to go powder her nose and the three guys stand up then sit back down.I went out with a couple of guys who always opened the passenger door for me, passed me the seatbelt then closed the door before going round to the driver's side and getting in.

Did they take turns each?:whistling:

Original Poster

mateypeeps;8659122

I am not a particular fan of the standing-up part of chivalry, but that … I am not a particular fan of the standing-up part of chivalry, but that is apparently the rule.It comes from the modification of the Primate greeting ceremonies and courtship and hierarchy behaviour.If a primate remains seated when another primate appears, it means they are inferior to you and are no threat or interest.So, since the female is the centre of your universe, you show she is more important than you by not remaining seated.Otherwise you do not get your leg over later.And who said chivalry is dead!!!In other words, whenever she is standing, so must you be. Like the Queen. Or your managing directors, when they appear at your place of work and want to shake your hand.Gawd help you if you stay sat down and shake their hand, it is an insult to the kind of class-A male/female that makes it to the top of the corporate ladder.

Didn't think of it like that! the whole thing threw me back! This was manners on ANOTHER level.. And this lady knew about it... of course I didn't :?

I Suppose it's very old school in terms of manners... It was like a Courtesy / mini stand up.. Learning something new everyday! Would love to learn more so I don't get thrown in these kinda situations!
    Sounds a bit corny / cheesy.. I know!

Original Poster

bossyboots;8658498

BIRD,...............BIRD................micoo come on!!! that old saying … BIRD,...............BIRD................micoo come on!!! that old saying springs to mind...............that the bird is out on a date with her wee wiggly wormBird is horrible!!!!!!!

LOL, I called someone a bird once... she turned round and said .. "am I your pigeon? are you calling me a turkey? chicken?"

NEVER made that mistake again.. EVER

5nowman;8661066

LOL, I called someone a bird once... she turned round and said .. "am I … LOL, I called someone a bird once... she turned round and said .. "am I your pigeon? are you calling me a turkey? chicken?"NEVER made that mistake again.. EVER

Should have responded well I do like to eat chicken, turkey and pigeon on occasion...so...your turn?:whistling:;-)

splatsplatsplat;8658904

I bet they charged a fortune! What was the taxi like inside?

ha ha ha! Don't find that many taxi drivers who do that these days....not in cardiff anyway!

5757alan;8659781

Did they take turns each?:whistling:

:viking:

Banned

059;8659628

Sign of the times.It's called a "Degenerative Society". Finding anyone … Sign of the times.It's called a "Degenerative Society". Finding anyone with even basic manners today, in this country is an achievement, soon even they will be gone.Sad really, but then that's the way of Britain.

Glass is half empty kinda guy perhaps :-D

Original Poster

Found this!
    ]http//wh…htm

Got Pretty Woman to watch.. maybe I can learn a thing or two from there!
    Just learned that you should take off your hat before entering an elevator! Not that I wear hats... sideways rudeboy wannabe :P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7271383
      2. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608651
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047187
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.918

See more discussions