Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Manufacturer or seller's warranty

Posted 9th Jan
Bought a pair of Samsung buds last December, good price listed here, via eBay.

1 bud now has stopped working and the seller is saying take it to manufacturer.

I know Samsung warranty is not global and depends on where in the world you buy from. With the discount offered, seeing the other items the seller sells its clearly grey imports.

How to get redress?
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
If you bought from a business and the item is under six months old it is up to the seller to resolve. The seller needs to arrange repair or replacement.
Obvsly PayPal protection is not an option as PP does not provuide nor support warranty. If the seller is a business based in UK tha merchant holds the consumer obligations for minimum 6 months from sale, but may be able to discharge those obligations via a manufacturer warranty if available. Is the merchant a UK-based / registered business?
I don't want to name names but I would like to show the hot deal I purchased from.

hotukdeals.com/dea…397
mittromney09/01/2020 14:02

I don't want to name names but I would like to show the hot deal I …I don't want to name names but I would like to show the hot deal I purchased from. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-buds-sm-r170-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphones-black-8796-from-hitechelectronics-uk-3333397

UK-registered LLP so subject to UK consumer legislation, assuming you can be bothered to enforce it and have faith the organisation has real/physical assets in UK.

...seeing the other items the seller sells its clearly grey imports. How …...seeing the other items the seller sells its clearly grey imports. How to get redress?

Have you checked UK manufacturer warranty eligibility with manufacturer?
Sadly just below the £100 that makes them eligible for S75 protection when you pay by credit card.

As others have said, its the sellers problem and that is because of very basic Contract law. Your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer (unless the are an official agent/franchise). This is legal logic as to why the others have said its the sellers problem. Ask the seller to fix the problem. If they refuse, look up Money Claim online and go after the seller

I don't want to name names but I would like to show the hot deal I …I don't want to name names but I would like to show the hot deal I purchased from. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-buds-sm-r170-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphones-black-8796-from-hitechelectronics-uk-3333397

Don’t know if it makes any difference to your consumer rights but at the bottom of the eBay listing it clearly states:

“1 Year manufacture warranty. For any issues after 30 days please contact the manufacture directly.“

Not much use if it’s a grey import & the warranty is region locked.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 9th Jan
ccnp09/01/2020 14:47

Sadly just below the £100 that makes them eligible for S75 protection when …Sadly just below the £100 that makes them eligible for S75 protection when you pay by credit card.As others have said, its the sellers problem and that is because of very basic Contract law. Your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer (unless the are an official agent/franchise). This is legal logic as to why the others have said its the sellers problem. Ask the seller to fix the problem. If they refuse, look up Money Claim online and go after the seller

no s.75 if you pay via PayPal (no matter the amount) but they give you 180 day protection on purchases so make a claim to them.
Edited by: "dré." 9th Jan
do you not have 90 days to make a claim through the eBay system, put a claim as faulty or not as described?
dré.09/01/2020 15:09

no s.75 if you pay via PayPal (no matter the amount) but they give you 180 …no s.75 if you pay via PayPal (no matter the amount) but they give you 180 day protection on purchases so make a claim to them.

Waste of time. PP does not provide nor support warranty.
captainbeaky09/01/2020 15:05

Don’t know if it makes any difference to your consumer rights but at the b …Don’t know if it makes any difference to your consumer rights but at the bottom of the eBay listing it clearly states:“1 Year manufacture warranty. For any issues after 30 days please contact the manufacture directly.“Not much use if it’s a grey import & the warranty is region locked.

Consumer rights mean the responsibility sits with the seller, that statement means nothing.
AndyRoyd09/01/2020 17:30

Waste of time. PP does not provide nor support warranty.

Did I say to make a warranty claim via PP? You claim they are faulty via the PP Buyer Protection Scheme. Their version of a chargeback. Refund, not a repair or replacement and NOT a waste of time IMO. I've had a few refunds this way.
Edited by: "dré." 10th Jan
dré.10/01/2020 09:43

Did I say to make a warranty claim via PP? You claim they are faulty via …Did I say to make a warranty claim via PP? You claim they are faulty via the PP Buyer Protection Scheme. Their version of a chargeback. Refund, not a repair or replacement and NOT a waste of time IMO. I've had a few refunds this way.

No, you didn't suggest making a warranty claim, and neither does PayPal where its "Buyer & Fraud Protection" exclusively covers two scenarios: INR & SNAD "If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund.... PayPal cannot assist you with filing or enforcing a warranty claim with your seller or the original manufacturer.
paypal.com/uk/…ity
any additional benefit is erroneous and/or outside PP t&c.
If the consumer funded a PP purchase by card, the card issuer may consider chargeback eligibility, not PayPal.
Thanks a lot guys.

As it happens (maybe i shouldn't have been so hasty and asked here first) i checked and Samsung will collect them to be repaired, and i'm sure if they can't fix them they will probably send me a refurbished pair back, as is usually the case.
They confirmed on the phone that i have a 2 year warranty. However, they did not ask for a purchase invoice so i don't know how they know, when my 2 years starts / expires.
They did ask where i bought them from and i told them it was a professional ebay seller on buy it now.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions