Manufacturer warranty on 2nd hand item

Found 9th May
Pretty sure I know the answers but hoping someone knows better.....
Purchased a LG G5 from eBay in Dec last year. Item was new, contract renewal.
LG know the age of the phone from the IMEI number, it is still under 12m old.
Phone has developed the GPS issue, this is a widly known issue but has not yet been acknowledged by LG.
They're refusing to repair the phone because I purchased it privately and can't prove the the condition when I bought it.
Their final response is that I should speak to trading standards if I don't like their stance.
I'm in contact with the original seller who is looking for a receipt but he isn't sure he kept it.
Any one know if they legally have to honour warranty as its a UK phone, under 12 months old regardless of how it was purchased?
Thanks for reading!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

They are only obliged to offer warranty to the original purchaser and are correct in what they are saying. If you want it repaired then the seller will have to get it done for you.

Have a look at paypal claims, im not sure but think you get 6 months to put in a claim, maybe it falls under not as described/faulty or something especially if they are a business seller.

Original Poster

Thanks, as suspected.
It was a private sale, not business and not the sellers responsibility so don't wish to claim against them. They sold it as new in good faith, LG are the bad party!

Had the same with a G4 and the bootloop issue - a manufacturer fault. As I was the 2nd owner they didn't want to know. I'm never buying an LG phone again.

It's the same for most things if you don't have proof of the original purchase they won't help you. Sony asked for proof of purchase when my old phone developed a fault and so did Gigabyte when my graphics card developed a fault both devices hadn't even been on the market longer than a year so age was not the issue.

I bought a Sony Z3 Compact on ebay that was water damaged and sent from Israel. Went to Sony's website, typed in the IMEI number, saw it was under warranty and sent it back for a replacement phone, no questions asked. So it is definitely possible, but maybe not from LG.

Original Poster

mkossew

I bought a Sony Z3 Compact on ebay that was water damaged and sent from … I bought a Sony Z3 Compact on ebay that was water damaged and sent from Israel. Went to Sony's website, typed in the IMEI number, saw it was under warranty and sent it back for a replacement phone, no questions asked. So it is definitely possible, but maybe not from LG.

​Yep, unfortunately seems LG are known to be difficult. Will definitely be my last LG product. I used to rave about them and recommend to everyone but based on my last two experiences with customer services, I'll be moving brands

The warranty is with the place of purchase and not the manufacturer. If you know who originally​ supplied the phone speak with them.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    2. Christmas presents510
    3. Mobile phone advice33
    4. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55

See more discussions