Found 20th Aug 2008
Very Sad News
They were heading to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. R.I.P.

Link on post #2

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

Original Poster

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

At least 45 people have been killed after a passenger plane swerved off the runway at Madrid's Barajas airport, Spanish officials say.

Several more were hurt when the Spanair plane bound for Gran Canaria left the runway with more than 150 passengers on board, just after 1445 (1245 GMT).

There were reports of a fire in the left engine during take-off. TV footage showed smoke billowing from the craft.

Helicopters and fire trucks were called out to dump water on the plane.

Spanish journalist Manuel Moleno, who was near the area when the accident happened, told the BBC the plane had "crashed into pieces".

"We heard a big crash. So we stopped and we saw a lot of smoke," he said.

There are conflicting accounts about the number of deaths, with some reports suggesting most of the passengers on the plane may be dead.

Mr Moleno said he had seen as many as 20 people walking away from the wreckage.

The situation at the airport was chaotic, he said, with travellers desperately trying to call relatives on their mobile phones.

BBC journalist Stephanie McGovern, who is also at the airport, said the airport was closed - but that planes had taken off

The plane, which was destined for Las Palmas in the Canary Islands, came down during or shortly after take-off, local media say, quoting aviation authorities.

It skidded off the runway at terminal four into fields, says the BBC's Steve Kingstone in Madrid.

"Spanair regrets to confirm that its flight number JK 5022 from Madrid to Las Palmas de Gran Canarias was involved in an accident at Madrid, at 1445 hours local time today," the airline said in a statement.

The aircraft was a MD82, a plane commonly used on short trips around Europe, aviation expert Chris Yates told the BBC.

He said Spanair, a subsidiary of Scandinavian carrier SAS, had a very good safety record. Reports say it was the first crash at Barajas airport, some 13km (8 miles) out of central Madrid, since 1983.

People concerned for relatives or friends who may have been on board the plane should call Spanair's helpline on: +34 800 400 200.

another bloody DC9 crash...they arnt safe planes...they are old!!!

RIP JK 5022

My thoughts and prayers are with all the people who have died, also to the people who are hurt.

over 100 people dead now!

o goodness....thats awful

Tragic, hate to hear about plane crashes. This could so easily put you right of travelling but it doesnt and we keep on flying and just pray it isnt our turn when we are up there.

R.I.P

Banned

milewide;2787729

Tragic, hate to hear about plane crashes. This could so easily put you … Tragic, hate to hear about plane crashes. This could so easily put you right of travelling but it doesnt and we keep on flying and just pray it isnt our turn when we are up there.R.I.P

there are more car crashes....a day

samwhitewick;2786555

another bloody DC9 crash...they arnt safe planes...they are old!!!RIP JK … another bloody DC9 crash...they arnt safe planes...they are old!!!RIP JK 5022

it was an MD-80 series (82 to be exact) not a DC9. i'd never fly McDonnell Douglas types of planes.

R.I.P my thoughts are with the families.

imranmaz;2787762

there are more car crashes....a day

Probably, but at the very least I am driving and in control of the vehicle and if something mechanically fails hopefully the worst thing that happens is you come to a controlled stop.

milewide;2787935

Probably, but at the very least I am driving and in control of the … Probably, but at the very least I am driving and in control of the vehicle and if something mechanically fails hopefully the worst thing that happens is you come to a controlled stop.

unless your brake lines are cut and you're on the motorway..

RIP to all those who are dead.

Although watching BBC World news it ain't too comforting.. the "experts" on there really are stupid nutters... and don't actually know a lot. I'm sure a few of us probably could do a better job.

Speculation of any major air disaster like this isn't a good thing... and it's what seems to be coming out of madrid with conflicting reports of what's going on.. it's best at this time to just leave the authorities to deal with it and see what their verdict is, speculation only makes things worse.

All you had to look at was the reports immediately after the crash - some claiming 150 dead, some 21.

I think the worst question Jonathan Charles asked on World news today was along the lines of...
"Is it worrying that this type of aircaft is particularly dangerous?"

RIP x

This is horrible. Those poor souls ... :-(

t0mm;2787775

it was an MD-80 series (82 to be exact) not a DC9. i'd never fly … it was an MD-80 series (82 to be exact) not a DC9. i'd never fly McDonnell Douglas types of planes.R.I.P my thoughts are with the families.

A DC9 is basically a MD80. It has updated MTOW and Fuel capacity. It is still a CD9. Just updated ;-)

samwhitewick;2790552

A DC9 is basically a MD80. It has updated MTOW and Fuel capacity. It is … A DC9 is basically a MD80. It has updated MTOW and Fuel capacity. It is still a CD9. Just updated ;-)

It's updated and is the MD-80 series.

They both have a really bad safety history.

the iPhone 3G is the exact same as the other except aesthetic and faster internet capabilities, although if someone said to you it was the 2G you'd be quick to correct them.:whistling:

153 dead now

Very sad to hear about the news......the images of family members suffering after the crash is enough to make you realise you wouldn't know what to do if something happened to your loved ones. :oops:

RIP everyone involved and my thoughts are with the families this has affected.

Original Poster

ade2j;2790573

153 dead now

And they suspected it to be 45 yesterday. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the people who lost their lives yesterday. Total Carnage.

samwhitewick;2786555

another bloody DC9 crash...they arnt safe planes...they are old!!!RIP JK … another bloody DC9 crash...they arnt safe planes...they are old!!!RIP JK 5022

you could get a job in the media with that quote mate :roll:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions