'Mario Kart Tour' mobile racing on Android and iOS

Posted 25th Sep
Update 1
Now live 🏎️
Morning guys Just a quick heads up that Mario Kart Tour will launch today on Android (4.4 or higher) and iOS (10.0 or higher). The game is now available to download on the relevant stores, it's currently undergoing maintenance but that is scheduled to end at 9am! and we're now LIVE!

Whilst you're waiting for the game to unlock, make sure to create a Nintendo account if you don't already have one, as you'll need one to play!

The race begins September 25th! Mario Kart Tour News, Vol. 1

3299622.jpg
Mario Kart takes a world tour!
Mario and friends go global in this new Mario Kart as they race around courses inspired by real-world cities in addition to classic Mario Kart courses! These destinations will be featured in tours that rotate every two weeks! In addition to courses based on iconic locales, some of your favorite Mario Kart characters will get variations that incorporate the local flavor of cities featured in the game!

Endless Mario Kart fun at your fingertips!
The Mario Kart series known and loved by many is ready to take the world by storm – one smart device at a time! With just one finger, you can steer and drift with ease and sling devastating items as you go for the gold in cups filled with new and classic Mario Kart courses.

Nab 1st place with items and Frenzy mode!
In Mario Kart Tour you have access to an arsenal of powerful items that can mix things up on the racetrack! Turn up the heat by activating the new Frenzy mode, which gives an unlimited supply of a certain item and makes you invincible! Make the most of the ensuing chaos, as Frenzy mode only lasts a short time!

Collect drivers, karts, badges, and more!
Earn Grand Stars by racing or fire off the featured pipe to receive more drivers, karts, and gliders! You can also proudly display badges, earned by completing certain challenges, next to your in-game name!

Bonus challenge courses put a twist on traditional races!
In certain races, 1st place isn't always the goal. With names like "Vs. Mega Bowser" and "Goomba Takedown," these bonus challenge courses demand a different approach to gameplay and strategy!

Race to increase your online rank!
Boost with the best of 'em! Your high scores will determine how you compare to other players all over the world. Keep practicing and trying out different combinations of drivers, karts, and gliders to increase your score and rise to the top!

* Free-to-start; optional in-game purchases available. Persistent Internet, compatible smartphone, and Nintendo Account required. Data charges may apply.
* For information about our ads, please see the “How we use your information” section of the Nintendo Privacy Policy.
* May include advertising.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then

So annoying. Just charge £4.99, make a fortune and then you can stop ripping people (kids’ parents mostly) with never ending in-app purchaes.

Boo @ Nintendo!
97 Comments
£1 per Banana Skin?

Have high hopes really! Look forward to it
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 25th Sep
It's there now - downloaded, thanks!
Thanks, installed
Thanks for the heads up. You beat my Android reminder id set in the store
Installed but app is currently under maintenance.
Tyler.Durden25/09/2019 07:41

Installed but app is currently under maintenance.

As per OP, mate - it goes live at 8am
“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then

So annoying. Just charge £4.99, make a fortune and then you can stop ripping people (kids’ parents mostly) with never ending in-app purchaes.

Boo @ Nintendo!
Thanks, Buzz. *Heat* added....
I need to check discussions before I post deals!
Edited by: "KageCom" 25th Sep
Looking forward to this ,.love mario kart just hope it's not a complete pay to play game
Not live at 8.07, still says maintenance til 8. I wonder if it means 8 in a different timezone perhaps? Bit odd.
FoxForce525/09/2019 08:08

Not live at 8.07, still says maintenance til 8. I wonder if it means 8 in …Not live at 8.07, still says maintenance til 8. I wonder if it means 8 in a different timezone perhaps? Bit odd.

Probably 8AM PCT and then we would need to wait until 4PM
FoxForce525/09/2019 08:08

Not live at 8.07, still says maintenance til 8. I wonder if it means 8 in …Not live at 8.07, still says maintenance til 8. I wonder if it means 8 in a different timezone perhaps? Bit odd.

cicobuff25/09/2019 08:09

Probably 8AM PCT and then we would need to wait until 4PM

Apologies guys, looks like I've messed up with BST. It's 4AM ET / 1AM PT / 10AM CEST, which is in fact 9am
BuzzDuraband25/09/2019 08:11

Apologies guys, looks like I've messed up with BST. It's 4AM ET / 1AM PT / …Apologies guys, looks like I've messed up with BST. It's 4AM ET / 1AM PT / 10AM CEST, which is in fact 9am

No probs, easily done, esp as it doesn't state it in the app itself.

*taps foot impatiently, Sonic style*
Can't download says just coming soon and unregister.
DemonIT25/09/2019 07:43

“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then :(So a …“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then :(So annoying. Just charge £4.99, make a fortune and then you can stop ripping people (kids’ parents mostly) with never ending in-app purchaes.Boo @ Nintendo!

£4.99 from those that are willing to pay is pocket-change comparing to luring people in with free to play and then having them making in-app purchase afterward.

Pokemon Master made $25 million in the first week of launch because of gacha (aka turning everyone into a gambler and some into gambling addict), one of the reason I wouldn't touch that game with a barge pole, dispite liking Pokemon franchise and games.
Edited by: "MarineRX179" 25th Sep
Downloading to give it a go, not expecting much though!
Munch198125/09/2019 08:14

Can't download says just coming soon and unregister.

Not unlocked in App but with link it is.
Inapp purchases
it's under maintainence since 8am
MarineRX17925/09/2019 08:15

£4.99 from those that are willing to pay is pocket-change comparing to …£4.99 from those that are willing to pay is pocket-change comparing to luring people in with free to play and then having them making in-app purchase afterward.Pokemon Master made $25 million in the first week of launch because of gacha (aka turning everyone into a gambler and some into gambling addict), one of the reason I wouldn't touch that game with a barge pole, dispite liking Pokemon franchise and games.

I guess we’re saying the same thing.

Greed I can accept, but the morality of a person potentially paying an unlimited amount in micro payments for a mobile app is, I believe, beyond debate.
trivium25/09/2019 08:21

it's under maintainence since 8am

It's up at 9am BST
I have been really looking forward to this, but am really worried about the business model.

I loved just having to pay once for Mario Run.

I suspect this will be deleted soon enough.
Maintenance ends in 21 minutes (9AM GMT)

“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then :(So a …“Internet connection is required to play”. No playing on plane then :(So annoying. Just charge £4.99, make a fortune and then you can stop ripping people (kids’ parents mostly) with never ending in-app purchaes.Boo @ Nintendo!

Nintendo are a company they I really want to love but they just keep doing weird or silly things like this over and over, year after year. They are like the strict dad of gaming, "If you want to play you have to do it my way by my rules when you are in my house because I say so!".
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 25th Sep
Haircut_10025/09/2019 08:39

Nintendo are a company they I really want to love but they just keep doing …Nintendo are a company they I really want to love but they just keep doing weird or silly things like this over and over, year after year. They are like the strict dad of gaming, "If you want to play you have to do it my way by my rules when you are in my house because I say so!".

Always been the same.

Read “Console Wars” - brill book and poignant to your thoughts.
In queue now to play.
Haircut_10025/09/2019 08:39

Nintendo are a company they I really want to love but they just keep doing …Nintendo are a company they I really want to love but they just keep doing weird or silly things like this over and over, year after year. They are like the strict dad of gaming, "If you want to play you have to do it my way by my rules when you are in my house because I say so!".

It's very odd that they're all over micro transactions for this, but mario kart 8 in the switch hasnt received any decent dlc for ages.

They could give a couple of tracks & a couple of new characters for a few quid a pop every few months & they'd sell bucket loads, or a season pass like so many other games.

They're trying to modernise the business, but don't seem to actually know how. As for the switch lite/switch debacle if you want both consoles, having to manually sync saves on each console every time you play is a joke.
FoxForce525/09/2019 08:58

It's very odd that they're all over micro transactions for this, but mario …It's very odd that they're all over micro transactions for this, but mario kart 8 in the switch hasnt received any decent dlc for ages.They could give a couple of tracks & a couple of new characters for a few quid a pop every few months & they'd sell bucket loads, or a season pass like so many other games.They're trying to modernise the business, but don't seem to actually know how. As for the switch lite/switch debacle if you want both consoles, having to manually sync saves on each console every time you play is a joke.

The problem is though that it feels like they are trying to modernise their business but with a ten year old outdated business model. That's the problem with being behind the curve, you are always looking forwards to how others did things in the past.
Can't wait to play it

They tried that with MARIO Run and people were too cheap to buy it. It was a tester for their mobile platform and the F2P model destroyed it in sales.
It’s a real shame.
Munch198125/09/2019 08:51

In queue now to play.

Yep, "The servers are experiencing heavy traffic" really Nintendo did you not expect this? Not a good way to launch your game!
malnuman25/09/2019 09:04

Yep, "The servers are experiencing heavy traffic" really Nintendo did … Yep, "The servers are experiencing heavy traffic" really Nintendo did you not expect this? Not a good way to launch your game!

We’re talking about Nintendo and an online service here. I’m surprised they even thought to make a queue.

It's very odd that they're all over micro transactions for this, but mario …It's very odd that they're all over micro transactions for this, but mario kart 8 in the switch hasnt received any decent dlc for ages.They could give a couple of tracks & a couple of new characters for a few quid a pop every few months & they'd sell bucket loads, or a season pass like so many other games.They're trying to modernise the business, but don't seem to actually know how. As for the switch lite/switch debacle if you want both consoles, having to manually sync saves on each console every time you play is a joke.

You do realise that everyone has a smartphone nowadays? Not everyone has Nintendo Switch, and not everyone who does have one buy DLC... I can guarantee that there is a much bigger market in apps with in app purchases, just look at Pokémon Go as an example
Dr-Rjinswand25/09/2019 09:09

We’re talking about Nintendo and an online service here. I’m surprised the …We’re talking about Nintendo and an online service here. I’m surprised they even thought to make a queue.

Lol, yeah but there no indication of how long the wait is, a few mins or an hour or so, do you keep hitiing the 'return to title' or will that reset your position?
Game has Heavy Traffic on Servers been waiting since 9am for this and its still bull

They charged for Super Mario Run and that still needs an internet connection to play
JohnnyRoller25/09/2019 09:11

You do realise that everyone has a smartphone nowadays? Not everyone has …You do realise that everyone has a smartphone nowadays? Not everyone has Nintendo Switch, and not everyone who does have one buy DLC... I can guarantee that there is a much bigger market in apps with in app purchases, just look at Pokémon Go as an example

I agree, but I don't understand the willingness to go with microtransactions on mobile but no season pass for the most successful Mario game of all time (26.3 million copies sold), doing the former whilst ignoring the latter makes no sense at all imo, the sensible business decision would be to do both.

I think that Nintendo also know that in general people accept micro-transactions for mobile gaming but in general prefer getting the full version when spending £40+ on console gaming. Also of course Mario Kart 8 came out on Wii U and then had DLC and extra content, but when they re-released it on switch it had all the tracks added from the start.

You know the whole point about the original switch is that it switches mode, so just pick it up and continue playing, the lite is designed to be used separately entirely (such as belonging to a child), they aren't designed so you switch between different consoles regularly.

They tried that with Super Mario Run (although they went for £9.99) and they didn't make as much money as the free-to-play model they introduced with their other mobile offerings. The free-to-play model is here to stay unfortunatley
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants