Mask wearing in shops could be compulsory within days.

Posted 13th JulEdited by:"Speculator"
Community Updates
Boris Johnson will decide whether face masks are to become compulsory in shops “in the next few days”.

The Prime Minister made the comments during a visit to the London Ambulance Service this morning.

He said: "They have a great deal of value in confined spaces where you're coming into contact with people you don't normally meet.

"The scientific evaluation of face coverings and their importance on stopping aerosol droplets, that's been growing, so I do think that in shops it is very important to wear a face covering if you're going to be in a confined space and you want to protect other people and receive protection in turn.”

Mr Johnson added that he thinks people “should be wearings (face coverings) in shops”.

“In terms of how we do that - whether we will be making that mandatory or not - we will be looking at the guidance, we will be saying a little bit more in the next few days,” he said.
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I wear deodorant to protect you from B.O
I wear shoes to protect my feet from broken glass
I put an umbrella up to protect myself from rain
But I'll be damned if I wear a mask to protect myself from all manor of airborne viruses
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 13th Jul
jimhuf13/07/2020 14:31

And sometimes grown ups have to stand on their two feet and make brave …And sometimes grown ups have to stand on their two feet and make brave decisions without the need of a nanny state.

I wasn't aware bravery was now defined as putting other people's health at risk due to your own selfishness.
jimhuf13/07/2020 13:59

Comment deleted

Sometimes grown ups need to do things they don't want to do. Like paying taxes i guess.
So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but now we do?
Its just a gesture to make it look like somethings been done.
72 Comments
OK
Still putting you’re hands on them to take them off etc etc then touching things etc wash you’re hands and sanitiser them
I think his reluctance lies with wanting people to return to offices for work. It would be quite a contradiction to encourage office work but to wear a mask in shops.
Something seriously wrong with the British mentality - why we can't put our differences aside in terms of views of this virus and make some small sacrifices to pull together to take control of the situation is sad.

Putting aside whether this should have been done sooner, going forward, a few months of the majority of the population wearing masks would make a (big) difference and set us on a solid path come winter.

One of the news reports last night said mask usage in the UK was about 35% compared to 70% in European countries - the report didn't mention whether mask wearing was now compulsory in the named countries but the report came across as though it is still voluntary and usage is based on govt. guidance.
So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but now we do?
Its just a gesture to make it look like somethings been done.
Ive order my mask a good few weeks back from vista print (vistaprint.co.uk/mas…ll/) as its suppose to be good with being a glasses wearer (regular mask steam up and can see a thing so opted to stay in instead).

Fingers crossed I get it soon and works!
jimhuf13/07/2020 13:42

So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but …So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but now we do? Its just a gesture to make it look like somethings been done.

Just put a mask on. The strangers in the supermarkets are someones world. Not a big deal or requiring of debate, surely?
""The scientific evaluation of face coverings and their importance on stopping aerosol droplets, that's been growing, so I do think that in shops it is very important to wear a face covering if you're going to be in a confined space and you want to protect other people and receive protection in turn.”" - so masks are needed in enclosed spaces like shops but arent required in pubs or restaurants because aerosol droplets dont occur in pubs or restaurants? If people eat/drink whilst walking round a shop does that get them out of wearing masks? Utter nonsense.
Have a friend who is a manager in a local supermarket. He caught it and wasn't wearing a mask. He already had underlying health problems and passed the virus onto his wife and two kids.

I don't understand why supermarket workers are so reluctant to wear masks.

Luckily, they all made a full recovery.
Edited by: "Speculator" 13th Jul
AgentDaleCooper13/07/2020 13:50

""The scientific evaluation of face coverings and their importance on …""The scientific evaluation of face coverings and their importance on stopping aerosol droplets, that's been growing, so I do think that in shops it is very important to wear a face covering if you're going to be in a confined space and you want to protect other people and receive protection in turn.”" - so masks are needed in enclosed spaces like shops but arent required in pubs or restaurants because aerosol droplets dont occur in pubs or restaurants? If people eat/drink whilst walking round a shop does that get them out of wearing masks? Utter nonsense.

You can't eat wearing a mask. Did you really need to google a quote for that?
daniellndn13/07/2020 13:54

You can't eat wearing a mask. Did you really need to google a quote for …You can't eat wearing a mask. Did you really need to google a quote for that?

Of course you cant - thats my point: masks for shops but not for pubs/restaurants makes no logical sense - you are still in a enclosed space indoors and there are still aerosol droplets. And no, I didnt Google anything - the quote was already in the thread

So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but …So at its peak, (During traditional flu season) we don't need masks, but now we do? Its just a gesture to make it look like somethings been done.

Absolutely.

At covid's peak they probably didn't want to suggest to the public that masks would be beneficial as many might choose to buy the most effective ones while there was a shortage for health workers where their use is essential.

They probably now think if everyone wears masks in shops it will make people feel safer and encourage them to start going back out and spend money and help the economy.
Cbear8113/07/2020 13:30

Still putting you’re hands on them to take them off etc etc then touching t …Still putting you’re hands on them to take them off etc etc then touching things etc wash you’re hands and sanitiser them

etc
melted13/07/2020 14:02

At covid's peak they probably didn't want to suggest to the public that …At covid's peak they probably didn't want to suggest to the public that masks would be beneficial as many might choose to buy the most effective ones while there was a shortage for health workers where their use is essential.They probably now think if everyone wears masks in shops it will make people feel safer and encourage them to start going back out and spend money and help the economy.

exactly - its not based science, its based on ecomonics
I think it is a good idea
AgentDaleCooper13/07/2020 14:03

exactly - its not based science, its based on ecomonics

I guess that depends on whether you consider economics a science, or an art
Edited by: "melted" 13th Jul
AgentDaleCooper13/07/2020 13:57

Of course you cant - thats my point: masks for shops but not for …Of course you cant - thats my point: masks for shops but not for pubs/restaurants makes no logical sense - you are still in a enclosed space indoors and there are still aerosol droplets. And no, I didnt Google anything - the quote was already in the thread

You can wear a mask in a supermarkets but not whilst eating in a restaurant. It's not complicated or illogical in my opinion.
JumpMan198013/07/2020 14:06

Comment deleted

I'm surprised no-one is doing them with your own face printed on them, a bit like this:-

41375451-im3bJ.jpg
melted13/07/2020 14:12

I'm surprised no-one is doing them with your own face printed on them, a …I'm surprised no-one is doing them with your own face printed on them, a bit like this:-[Image]

Yes, now I can have a beard!
He doesn’t know his bum from his elbow, the virus is still here and I would personally wear a mask while out. They don’t really care about the public, more the money.
Just monitor and replicate Scotland (we know what we are doing).
jimhuf13/07/2020 13:59

Comment deleted

Sometimes grown ups need to do things they don't want to do. Like paying taxes i guess.
daniellndn13/07/2020 14:22

Sometimes grown ups need to do things they don't want to do. Like paying …Sometimes grown ups need to do things they don't want to do. Like paying taxes i guess.

And sometimes grown ups have to stand on their two feet and make brave decisions without the need of a nanny state.
fearona13/07/2020 14:33

Comment deleted

Popular sentiment at the moment that;
Not clapping on the street, must hate the NHS
Not protesting for a cause, must be against it
Not wearing a mask, must want to kill everyone

And sometimes grown ups have to stand on their two feet and make brave …And sometimes grown ups have to stand on their two feet and make brave decisions without the need of a nanny state.

You imply its brave to not wear a mask? I guess that perhaps answers your question as to why you should wear.

I wasn't aware bravery was now defined as putting other people's health at risk due to your own selfishness.
jimhuf13/07/2020 14:59

Comment deleted

Maybe you can clarify because right now its sounding quite childish and ill-thought.
daniellndn13/07/2020 15:02

Maybe you can clarify because right now its sounding quite childish and …Maybe you can clarify because right now its sounding quite childish and ill-thought.

swprs.org/a-s…19/
Where can you easily obtain masks from?
Frankie7713/07/2020 15:07

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Too many long words for this crowd
I don’t know why some people still think that covid is just flu because it’s not. We are still at risk. But have to somehow try and get back to normal. But while new cases still being diagnosed, I will keep my family and myself safe.
I do what I have to do in the day etc. Then we stay home. You can’t fix stupid in some people unfortunately
I wear deodorant to protect you from B.O
I wear shoes to protect my feet from broken glass
I put an umbrella up to protect myself from rain
But I'll be damned if I wear a mask to protect myself from all manor of airborne viruses
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 13th Jul
Frankie7713/07/2020 15:07

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

The situation with Covid is what it could become rather than where we are now. I am guessing you know this though.

thetimes.co.uk/art…6vw
Pandamansays13/07/2020 15:08

Where can you easily obtain masks from?

shops - but wear a mask before you go in
Whereas has this virus come from ? It looks like it’s precedent for more virus’s which result in less freedom ... vaccination will not help for the next one
Edited by: "wakkaday" 13th Jul
daniellndn13/07/2020 15:19

The situation with Covid is what it could become rather than where we are …The situation with Covid is what it could become rather than where we are now. I am guessing you know this though.https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/herefordshire-farm-quarantined-after-73-workers-test-positive-for-coronavirus-bg9fr86vw

Just like the meat processing plant outbreak in Germany. An isolated spread. No deaths were reported.
Frankie7713/07/2020 15:27

Just like the meat processing plant outbreak in Germany. An isolated …Just like the meat processing plant outbreak in Germany. An isolated spread. No deaths were reported.

Yes, the same. Why they contain the locations.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants