masks?

Posted 5th Apr
hate to be "this" person but family member has asked me to source them protective surgical/face masks (let's not get into a debate about efficiency). More & more people in my local area are wearing them so said relative is joining in.
would prefer to get off amazon as need to take my basket over £20 lol
if anyone can recommend any that would be helpful as heard there are lots of fakes & not sure how to spot them.
Community Updates
Ask
46 Comments
good luck finding a decent one under £20 on amazon at the moment alot of third party sellers on there seem to be overcharging massively
Edited by: "Jones1995" 5th Apr
Also looking for these!
If you are buying a mask you should be looking for a tight fitting mask with FFP3 rating as a minimum. Everything else is just a waste of money and gimmick. User must be cleanly shaven to wear the mask correctly to provide an adequate seal. They will also need to think about contamination when putting masks on and off.
fearghalg05/04/2020 18:41

If you are buying a mask you should be looking for a tight fitting mask …If you are buying a mask you should be looking for a tight fitting mask with FFP3 rating as a minimum. Everything else is just a waste of money and gimmick. User must be cleanly shaven to wear the mask correctly to provide an adequate seal. They will also need to think about contamination when putting masks on and off.

Something like a JSP Force 8 mask with P3 filters should do the trick.
You’ll be lucky, retailers are now holding stock and donating PPE to the NHS (Screwfix for example), and more and more will join in as time goes on, whether to actually be helpful or just to jump on the marketing it will give them.
Tell them to make their own out of old clothes, it’ll have as much effect as most of the rubbish you’ll find on Amazon. Honestly. Waste of money.
I saw on News today that using a peice of paper towel sandwiched between two pieces of cotton fabric is quite effective.
Don't forget eye protection.
Mask Types:- fastlifehacks.com/n95…fp/

There's an interesting read about the effectiveness of N95 Vs surgical masks at protecting against flu, which is a similar sized virus.

40311892-lcDfx.jpg
Edited by: "melted" 5th Apr
I can’t remember where I seen the 20 pack
Wilkinson I think, cheap crud probably
There are loads of good videos on youtube at the moment about making your own. Various different ways. I watched a US news programme the other night where they were using paper towels inside the flap of a homemade mask. You dispose of the paper towel regularly. It was a doctor talking about this.

Hope this helps if you cannot find any to buy.

Be careful about ones you buy from unknown parties. Lots of videos online of people rubbing their shoes on face masks in factories or spitting on them. Some nasty people out there.
Officially - UK does not recommend use of face masks by general public. The US say they might stop infected people spreading it but if you think you may have the virus you should be self-isolating......

The US have done a video on how to make your own face mask..
cdc.gov/cor…tml

Just remember that whenever you touch your mask - you need to wash your hands and any surfaces the face mask comes into contact with....
Edited by: "gari189" 5th Apr
We were surgical masks in work there still easy to get hold of on amazon
EcoHydra are a decent company and have facemasks available on their website currently. I think they are just similar to ones you would make yourself but if you're of the opinion that something is better than nothing then they might be of interest. A bit on the expensive side at almost £20 delivered for 4 but they are reusable and from a trustworthy company.
someone05/04/2020 21:19

EcoHydra are a decent company and have facemasks available on their …EcoHydra are a decent company and have facemasks available on their website currently. I think they are just similar to ones you would make yourself but if you're of the opinion that something is better than nothing then they might be of interest. A bit on the expensive side at almost £20 delivered for 4 but they are reusable and from a trustworthy company.

Do you have a direct link can't seem to find on their site.
melted05/04/2020 19:29

Best materials for homemade face …Best materials for homemade face mask.https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-DIY-face-mask-ppe.htmlPaper towel https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/paper-towel-effective-against-viruses-diy-mask/

thanks might try that is there a tutorial for making one?
little_green05/04/2020 22:09

Search JOANN on YouTube. They are a large craft store in the US and I'm sure I saw somewhere that they have tutorial videos online for multiple different types of face mask
someone05/04/2020 22:03

https://www.buyecohydra.com/collections/all-products/products/pack-of-x-4-reusable-washable-at-60-degrees-cotton-barrier-face-masks

Thank you. Bought some.
little_green05/04/2020 22:09

There are loads on youtube like this. As I said above, people are putting paper towels in the pocket and disposing of them after each use.

Some people are putting hepa filters in the pocket but some of the manufacturers have warned not to use the vacuum ones as some of them have fibreglass in them. You have to be very careful.
Edited by: "tawse57" 5th Apr
ndyanem05/04/2020 21:15

We were surgical masks in work there still easy to get hold of on amazon

That hurt to read
fern3705/04/2020 22:28

Thank you. Bought some.

Have a read of the instructions, if they are the ones I'm thinking of they need to be washed at 60 degrees after every use and chucked away after 15 washes
Sc4mp005/04/2020 22:58

Have a read of the instructions, if they are the ones I'm thinking of they …Have a read of the instructions, if they are the ones I'm thinking of they need to be washed at 60 degrees after every use and chucked away after 15 washes

That's fine.
luckily i got a FFP3 dust mask in the cupboard so worse come to worse i will wear that one. it is not comfortable to wear for a long time though as it restricts the air.

i did look into making one at home. i also got a whole load of miele hoover bags and filters, which apparently are also quite good for using as masks. when this is over, i will buy a couple of FFP3 dust masks and leave them in the cupboard as they will always come in handy, a lot more so than surgical masks.
mutley105/04/2020 23:20

luckily i got a FFP3 dust mask in the cupboard so worse come to worse i …luckily i got a FFP3 dust mask in the cupboard so worse come to worse i will wear that one. it is not comfortable to wear for a long time though as it restricts the air.i did look into making one at home. i also got a whole load of miele hoover bags and filters, which apparently are also quite good for using as masks. when this is over, i will buy a couple of FFP3 dust masks and leave them in the cupboard as they will always come in handy, a lot more so than surgical masks.

Would be daft to wear a homemade mask, if you've got a ffp3 one, you are not going to get even vaguely close to the same degree of protection. The virus is supposed to only survive a few days at most on most surfaces, drying a single use mask on a radiator would probably be safe to reuse it, if left long enough.

In the US they are recycling masks using some process involving hydrogen peroxide to destroy the virus.
Edited by: "melted" 5th Apr
melted05/04/2020 23:48

Would be daft to wear a homemade mask, if you've got a ffp3 one, you are …Would be daft to wear a homemade mask, if you've got a ffp3 one, you are not going to get even vaguely close to the same degree of protection. The virus is supposed to only survive a few days at most on most surfaces, drying a single use mask on a radiator would probably be safe to reuse it, if left long enough. In the US they are recycling masks using some process involving hydrogen peroxide to destroy the virus.

i would use the dust mask but it is uncomfortable to wear for a long time and unfortunately i only got one so hubby won't be able to use it as it would be silly to share the mask! i would make another one with the hoover filter if we both need one.

i am not wearing a mask or face shield at the moment but this may change in future.
melted05/04/2020 23:48

Would be daft to wear a homemade mask, if you've got a ffp3 one, you are …Would be daft to wear a homemade mask, if you've got a ffp3 one, you are not going to get even vaguely close to the same degree of protection. The virus is supposed to only survive a few days at most on most surfaces, drying a single use mask on a radiator would probably be safe to reuse it, if left long enough. In the US they are recycling masks using some process involving hydrogen peroxide to destroy the virus.

Best not to apply heat as it may change the mask’s filtering properties (same with spraying any sort of disinfectant). Air drying for a few days until enough time has lapsed that the virus would no longer be viable is the best bet for those doing this at home. This only works if the mask has not been otherwise compromised during use (soiled, dirt, nose secretions, etc). Full guidance on the CDC website cdc.gov/nio…tml
The FFP3 the NHS is in desperate need so I personally wouldn’t be buying any that take away from the people who really need it. The other ones don’t really have the same effectiveness but provide a barrier for bigger droplets, you may as well save yourself the money and use a scarf. The biggest thing is social distancing, not getting close enough to anyone to need a mask unless your a key worker
someone05/04/2020 22:03

https://www.buyecohydra.com/collections/all-products/products/pack-of-x-4-reusable-washable-at-60-degrees-cotton-barrier-face-masks

Sold out
Any mask is better than none. Frontline staff first and the rest of us get what's left. Less infections in countries that ware masks so they do something according to professor Kim at Korea university guro hospital. Maybe we were told they don't work to stop the panic burying leaving them for the service people. I buy mine from tool hire shop but no chance getting them now.
melomanias06/04/2020 01:34

Best not to apply heat as it may change the mask’s filtering properties ( …Best not to apply heat as it may change the mask’s filtering properties (same with spraying any sort of disinfectant). Air drying for a few days until enough time has lapsed that the virus would no longer be viable is the best bet for those doing this at home. This only works if the mask has not been otherwise compromised during use (soiled, dirt, nose secretions, etc). Full guidance on the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcontrols/recommendedguidanceextuse.html#respreuse

High heat certainly would, but I suspect moderate warmth to remove the moisture would be ok, the filter medium is usually some sort of melt blown plastic, like polypropylene.
wayners06/04/2020 08:04

Any mask is better than none. Frontline staff first and the rest of us get …Any mask is better than none. Frontline staff first and the rest of us get what's left. Less infections in countries that ware masks so they do something according to professor Kim at Korea university guro hospital. Maybe we were told they don't work to stop the panic burying leaving them for the service people. I buy mine from tool hire shop but no chance getting them now.

In the US they've already resorted to decontaminating and reusing masks, they are using vapourised hydrogen peroxide, I think they said at low pressure.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Edited by: "melted" 6th Apr
sez101106/04/2020 05:56

The FFP3 the NHS is in desperate need so I personally wouldn’t be buying a …The FFP3 the NHS is in desperate need so I personally wouldn’t be buying any that take away from the people who really need it. The other ones don’t really have the same effectiveness but provide a barrier for bigger droplets, you may as well save yourself the money and use a scarf. The biggest thing is social distancing, not getting close enough to anyone to need a mask unless your a key worker

imperial.ac.uk/new…ar/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc…57/
Edited by: "melted" 6th Apr
melted06/04/2020 10:05

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/55374/face-mask-prevent-getting-only-wear/

Can’t catch it if you socially distant and don’t go anywhere
sez101106/04/2020 10:13

Can’t catch it if you socially distant and don’t go anywhere

or touch anything that comes into the house.
I don’t know about you but I don’t normally touch things that come into my house with my face. I do however when coming home from outside wipe anything down such as phone or shopping with warm water and soap and I wash my hands.
Are they front line staff? If not and they're genuinely worried, get the to self isolate!

I'm sick to death of selfish people wanting what they don't need - front line staff who need protective masks can't get hold of enough. I have a good friend who's working in an ICU in Germany and he said they don't all have masks - only the ones in direct contact with people that have tested positive get the high end masks, and only for that shift, then it's cleaned and passed on. So member's of the public wanting one "because other people are wearing one" winds me up! Staying at home is much more effective!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions