Masks compulsory in schools

Posted 25th Aug
Get your masks in before they sell out during the mad rush to get masks!

tes.com/new…ols
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Kratos6925/08/2020 15:48

Surely if the schools are going to force the poor children to wear the …Surely if the schools are going to force the poor children to wear the masks the least they can do is provide them? If I had a child out of principle I’d be expecting the school to provide a mask if they expect a child to wear one.

Do they supply school uniforms as well then?
Schools barely have enough staff, textbooks or resources for the children owing to government cuts. Class sizes regularly exceed government recommendation and you're expecting them to wave a magic wand to find the money to supply masks?
Edited by: "britlad" 25th Aug
38 Comments
Nope
Surely if the schools are going to force the poor children to wear the masks the least they can do is provide them? If I had a child out of principle I’d be expecting the school to provide a mask if they expect a child to wear one.

Surely if the schools are going to force the poor children to wear the …Surely if the schools are going to force the poor children to wear the masks the least they can do is provide them? If I had a child out of principle I’d be expecting the school to provide a mask if they expect a child to wear one.

I bet you bought lots of toilet roll a few months a go as well
Schools provide masks?
That's hilarious.
fearona25/08/2020 15:53

Nope, school uniforms are compulsory, masks are not.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 25th Aug
britlad25/08/2020 16:02

Schools provide masks? That's hilarious.

Why wouldn’t they? My workplace provides masks for their staff?
Schools barely have enough staff, textbooks or resources for the children owing to government cuts. Class sizes regularly exceed government recommendation and you're expecting them to wave a magic wand to find the money to supply masks?
Edited by: "britlad" 25th Aug

fearona25/08/2020 15:53

Kratos6925/08/2020 16:02

Strange you want them to supply something that according to you is not complulsory?
Why would they need one then?
Edited by: "fearona" 25th Aug
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:02

Nope - masks are indeed compulsory, as of August 31st, for secondary schools in Scotland. Some exemptions may apply on health grounds, as apply in shops, and other public places.
Edited by: "alg" 25th Aug
fearona25/08/2020 16:07

Strange you want them to supply something that according to you is not …Strange you want them to supply something that according to you is not complulsory?Why would they need one then?

As said in my first comment, if they’re going to try and force children to wear face masks I’d expect them to provide the face masks. That’s all, just my opinion.
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:10

As said in my first comment, if they’re going to try and force children to …As said in my first comment, if they’re going to try and force children to wear face masks I’d expect them to provide the face masks. That’s all, just my opinion.

Forcing? There is no pressure to wear a mask. It's just that you can't go to school then. Up to you.
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:10

As said in my first comment, if they’re going to try and force children to …As said in my first comment, if they’re going to try and force children to wear face masks I’d expect them to provide the face masks. That’s all, just my opinion.

But why, your argument for the school not paying for uniforms was that they are compulsary.
If masks are made compulsary, then surely your argument would be the same, the school shouldn't pay for them, not they should?
Jesus Christ
fearona25/08/2020 16:17

Lost that one lol

I probably did but I was just stating an opinion lol.
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:15

Jesus Christ

Not sure he's involved in this discussion to be honest. That's a comment that should be blocked as potentially offensive.
alg25/08/2020 16:20

Not sure he's involved in this discussion to be honest. That's a comment …Not sure he's involved in this discussion to be honest. That's a comment that should be blocked as potentially offensive.

As a deeply religious man I am offended that you find the lords name an offence. You should be ashamed.
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:21

As a deeply religious man I am offended that you find the lords name an …As a deeply religious man I am offended that you find the lords name an offence. You should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed that you think they should be ashamed
Edited by: "fearona" 25th Aug
fearona25/08/2020 16:25

You should be ashamed that you think they should be ashamed

I feel ashamed taking part in this
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:21

As a deeply religious man I am offended that you find the lords name an …As a deeply religious man I am offended that you find the lords name an offence. You should be ashamed.

Indeed, as a religious person, the method of using the name comes across as taking the name in vain. Now if it was a political name, I'm sure it would have been taken down by now.
alg25/08/2020 16:28

Indeed, as a religious person, the method of using the name comes across …Indeed, as a religious person, the method of using the name comes across as taking the name in vain. Now if it was a political name, I'm sure it would have been taken down by now.

It probably would have been, even as a staunch Tory even I would not be screaming out “Boris Johnson”
Kratos6925/08/2020 16:29

It probably would have been, even as a staunch Tory even I would not be …It probably would have been, even as a staunch Tory even I would not be screaming out “Boris Johnson”

As compared to a lot of the rest of the country who probably are.
Edited by: "alg" 25th Aug
Wish they'd make up their minds. If children are at no risk then why the masks? Noticed this week less people are wearing them in shops and restaurants.
Absolutely stupid
Azwipe25/08/2020 16:39

Wish they'd make up their minds. If children are at no risk then why the …Wish they'd make up their minds. If children are at no risk then why the masks? Noticed this week less people are wearing them in shops and restaurants.

because kids can carry the virus and spread it, its not to protect the kids

Wish they'd make up their minds. If children are at no risk then why the …Wish they'd make up their minds. If children are at no risk then why the masks? Noticed this week less people are wearing them in shops and restaurants.

Why would people be wearing them in restaurants? It would make it quite hard to eat and drink!
Tabloid-esque disinformational thread title; general fake news / drama queen multiple substitutions of "mask" for more accurate "face covering"; implied obligation to panic buy every conceivable product that could be utilised to cover nose+mouse, maybe excluding paradoxical plastic bags for life; incitement for mass hysteria; unrelated religious comment; random pedantic retorts; accurate but useless observations. This thread has it all, except any element of reality / common sense / weather forecasts.
AndyRoyd25/08/2020 16:51

Tabloid-esque disinformational thread title; general fake news / drama …Tabloid-esque disinformational thread title; general fake news / drama queen multiple substitutions of "mask" for more accurate "face covering"; implied obligation to panic buy every conceivable product that could be utilised to cover nose+mouse, maybe excluding paradoxical plastic bags for life; incitement for mass hysteria; unrelated religious comment; random pedantic retorts; accurate but useless observations. This thread has it all, except any element of reality / common sense / weather forecasts.

Come on, don't sit on the fence.

See the problem here is that the terms “children” and “schools” are quite broad in their meaning. According to experts in the scientific community, children at primary school are less likely to spread than those at secondary schools.

It’s also interesting to note that the “studies” carried out by PHE on the spread of the virus is schools isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, as these studies were carried out during the period of mass schools closures when only a handful of students were on premises - they bear no relevance to what the situation will be in September when schools return to full capacity.
They will provide it, the government has told work places, places of worship etc to provide it if they come without one, I don't see why the advice should be different for schools.
Personally don't think schools should be going back at all until there is some kind of real solution and hope most parents refuse to send their children back tbh to force the govt to offer an alternative. If it is only safe for them to go with a mask on, then it isn't really very safe at all!

If distancing and masks were all that great, there would be no more cases as the transmission would have been halted. The fact there is very much continued transmission indicates the measures are ineffective.

Also find it kind of bizarre that no one has considered the psychological impact for younger children especially, even for us as adults it is rather unsettling seeing everyone with masks on, when it is so against our normal culture and lifestyle, could imagine it being downright terrifying to young children seeing their teachers with those massive visors and their school mates unrecognisable through masks.

I think school should stay online only until there is proper vaccination and/or treatment...
Edited by: "ST3123" 25th Aug
I’m really hoping that my daughters high school will bring in a face covering rule. We are really concerned about her going back & potentially contracting the virus and bringing it home as i am clinically high risk. I’ve not locked myself away since the beginning of April for nothing.
ST312325/08/2020 19:50

If distancing and masks were all that great, there would be no more cases …If distancing and masks were all that great, there would be no more cases as the transmission would have been halted. The fact there is very much continued transmission indicates the measures are ineffective.

Unless face coverings and distancing were compulsory everywhere and adhered to, you cannot say those measures are ineffective. You could say there is no evidence to support effectiveness though.
mug5125/08/2020 22:05

Unless face coverings and distancing were compulsory everywhere and …Unless face coverings and distancing were compulsory everywhere and adhered to, you cannot say those measures are ineffective. You could say there is no evidence to support effectiveness though.

"Unless face coverings and distancing were compulsory everywhere" that scenario is the only way I could see them doing any real good, even then wouldn't be perfect of course because they don't form a perfect seal, or have enough layers, but at least everyone would be on a level playing field in terms of protection.

Problem with allowing exemptions as we do (talking more about in general rather than school) is that those ppl exempt from wearing a mask aren't magically exempted from carrying covid and passing it to all those around them that are following the guidelines and wearing them (remember masks offer virtually no protection to the wearer, it depends on others having them too).

It would be an extremely unpopular stance and hence no surprise the government doesn't have the guts to take it, but I think those exempt from mask wearing shouldn't be out in the general community, as they will always pose a risk to those that do wear them. Aside from that, if a person is really of such frail health that they cannot breathe effectively with a mask on, do they really want to be putting themselves out around a severe respiratory virus like covid?
Edited by: "ST3123" 26th Aug
ST312326/08/2020 10:02

"but I think those exempt from mask wearing shouldn't be out in the …"but I think those exempt from mask wearing shouldn't be out in the general community, as they will always pose a risk to those that do wear them. "

While that to an extent is true - there are a lot of people who can't wear masks for mental reasons. For example with anxiety issues, sensory issues and so on. Why should they be restricted to having to stay at home while the rest of the world moves on? While I agree the level of risk increases, the damage done by restricting their activities, particularly at school age, is almost as dangerous, just in a different way.
I'm worried, I'm a teacher and I think its going to be mayhem - classes aren't going to be reduced and corridors won't accommodate social distancing. Also, my wife is pregnant and I can't go into the hospital with her due to possible spreading of covid & she will have to work from home at 28 weeks due to - and I'm quoting her health supervisor - 'the virus is now impacting younger individuals'.

So I can't even enter a building for 30mins as that would be unsafe. But I can surround myself with young people for 8hrs a day in situations where social distancing and wearing of masks won't be enforced. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Post a comment
@
    Text