MASSIVE HELP NEEDED regarding CRB check

Found 17th May 2011
hi guys, god its embarrassing putting this on but i need answers if you have them!
2 years ago, i accidently shoplifted!! and it was a genuine accident!!! (i had my newborn baby with me, so would not of dared shoplift deliberatly!)
anyway, i was stopped, i tried explaining to the security guard that it was an accident, he was having none of it, said he hears stories like it every day bla bla bla, originally he was trying to ban me from the shop, which i went in almost everyday, i wasnt happy and put up a bit of a verbal fight, so, he decided to ring the police!!
the police came to the store, and i am adamant they believed my story but still, they had to follow "procedures" i have done noting wrong in the past (regarding the law)
i recieved a fine from the store, i never heard anything from the police after the occassion, or had to attend court, i wasnt arrested or anything like that.
now, i have been given a job in caring, and am awaiting the results of my crb ccheck, will this be on there??
thanks for any answers
i have searched the web and numerous people have already asked this question, but, the answers are not clear.
thanks for reading

80 Comments

Banned

Won't be on there

I should say it would come back clear you can't have a record etc if you didnt get arrested/ cautioned.

No this will not be on your record.

i doubt it will be on there.

whatsThePoint

Won't be on there

This ^

You have nothing to worry about and good luck!

Ps i want to get a crb done, is it your place of work that has done it or have you dont it privately. I'm not sure how to go about doing one anymore.

If you weren't arrested, it won't be on there. You should have refused to pay the store fine as well - what right does the shop have to go around handing out fines? I'm guessing it was probably one of their baseless "Civil recovery scheme" fines.

if you paid a "civil recovery" fine to the store it wont show on a crb check-you will be absolutely fine

crb only shows criminal offences charged by the police/prosecuted by the courts

"But officer, I have no Idea how all that rimmel makeup worth £100 ended up in my bag"

Yeah, Yeah (_;)

Oh my days i have walked out sooo many times with stuff in the pushchair or my kids have picked something up and are still holding it.,,,so i can totally understand it happening.

i always make a point of going back and returning/paying for the item so my kids realise its never ok.....couldnt imagine them giving u a criminal record for that!

Original Poster

thanks for all the reassuring guys, it will be a massive relief if it comes back clear!!! im really threating about it, i wish id of told them at my interview that there is a possibility it cud come up on my crb, but, i didnt want to put myself down as a shoplifter when im not

oh, and, supersilky, its the company who employ you who do the checks

If it was a fine to the store (Civil Recovery) then im sure you have nothing to worry about, or was it a Fixed Penalty Notice £80 issued by the Police?

Original Poster

jonny619447

"But officer, I have no Idea how all that rimmel makeup worth £100 ended … "But officer, I have no Idea how all that rimmel makeup worth £100 ended up in my bag" Yeah, Yeah (_;)

lol!!! it was actually a 12 pack of toilet rolls which i hung on my trolley, bearing in mind my trolley also had my baby and his carseat on the top, so when it come to unloading my shopping onto the conveyor belt, i couldnt see the toilet rolls!! (they was hung ont he side of the trolley where you push, i was unloading front he other end)
i had actually spent £215 in the shop, so obviously, i would nto pinch a £5 pack of toilet rolls!!
i think i just got the security guard who got out of the wrong side of the bed!!

Original Poster

Lilly_White

If it was a fine to the store (Civil Recovery) then im sure you have … If it was a fine to the store (Civil Recovery) then im sure you have nothing to worry about, or was it a Fixed Penalty Notice £80 issued by the Police?

i cant actually remember :-s im sure it was just the store one....possibly the police one too, would this show up on the crb if there was a police one??

AATS

lol!!! it was actually a 12 pack of toilet rolls which i hung on my … lol!!! it was actually a 12 pack of toilet rolls which i hung on my trolley, bearing in mind my trolley also had my baby and his carseat on the top, so when it come to unloading my shopping onto the conveyor belt, i couldnt see the toilet rolls!! (they was hung ont he side of the trolley where you push, i was unloading front he other end)i had actually spent £215 in the shop, so obviously, i would nto pinch a £5 pack of toilet rolls!!i think i just got the security guard who got out of the wrong side of the bed!!

Name the store

Pity the store detective and/or store manager didn't have any common sense to use at the time. Shouldn't have even gone that far.

AATS

lol!!! it was actually a 12 pack of toilet rolls which i hung on my … lol!!! it was actually a 12 pack of toilet rolls which i hung on my trolley, bearing in mind my trolley also had my baby and his carseat on the top, so when it come to unloading my shopping onto the conveyor belt, i couldnt see the toilet rolls!! (they was hung ont he side of the trolley where you push, i was unloading front he other end)i had actually spent £215 in the shop, so obviously, i would nto pinch a £5 pack of toilet rolls!!i think i just got the security guard who got out of the wrong side of the bed!!

That is bloody awful. If you spent £215 its fairly obvious you wouldnt rob toilet rolls. I would have gone mad! Easy done...!

AATS

I was only joking. You spent £215 so obviously you wouldn't try and nick some bog rolls, its pathetic.

Did you actually leave the store or did you get pulled before you left. It only becomes theft when you are out of the store.

Theft is defined as:

"A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it"

I doubt that you had intent of depriving the store of this, considering the large sum of money that was spent at the time. I also doubt it was dishonest but a simple human error.

I wouldn't have paid the fine, and would have seen them in court. I doubt any court in the land would have found you guilty given the circumstances

AATS

i cant actually remember :-s im sure it was just the store … i cant actually remember :-s im sure it was just the store one....possibly the police one too, would this show up on the crb if there was a police one??

I'm pretty sure it won't but will be kept on the Police data base. Don't worry about it, it seems like an innocent misunderstanding, the security guard should of used some logic, sounds like a jobs worth

Original Poster

i hadnt actually got out of the store, i was heading for the exit and was stopped before i reached it, they said i had past the last point of pay.
i never did pay the fine, i wrote a letter to the head office, sent in my reciept and asked him to view the footage, as this store was my local store, i was in it every day nearly, and had just had a baby (i didnt drive at the time)
the head office wrote back to me and denyed my appeal and stated in his letter, that the final decisionw as down to the store manager. so, the ban was continued
name the store............ASDA!!!!
although i was banned from every asda, i still shop at my local one!! i have moved house since then lol!! i dont blame the store, i blame the security guard!! he took it too far, and didnt want to admit he was wrong!

Thats awful op that you was subjected to this treatment after an innocent mistake especially after spending so much instore !....I would of asked for the manager to come to shop floor and would of hopefully put the pathetic jobsworth in his place .......but thats hindsight !...........
As for the CRB a friend of mine got gharged with theft and fraud and got taken to Crown court and found not guilty ( which she wasnt ) and has got a clear CRB since if thats any consolation , good luck and youll be fine

Original Poster

shopstilldrops

Thats awful op that you was subjected to this treatment after an innocent … Thats awful op that you was subjected to this treatment after an innocent mistake especially after spending so much instore !....I would of asked for the manager to come to shop floor and would of hopefully put the pathetic jobsworth in his place .......but thats hindsight !...........As for the CRB a friend of mine got gharged with theft and fraud and got taken to Crown court and found not guilty ( which she wasnt ) and has got a clear CRB since if thats any consolation , good luck and youll be fine

i did ask for the store manager, he came, and totally stood up for the security guard!! i did put up an argument, which, resulted int he police getting called!!! i think, i actually had to admit to stealing to stop me from been arrested!! i cant remember what actually happened when the police arrived as i was panicing like hell, but, i was not arrested and not taken any were, so, im hoping my crb will be clear. i just dont know how ill explain myself if it comes up on my crb, and my employed says, why dint u tell us about this at interview, i will be sooooooooooo embarrassed!!

I can guarantee that it won't be on a crb check and a police fixed penalty ticket wouldn't be on there either.

AATS

i did ask for the store manager, he came, and totally stood up for the … i did ask for the store manager, he came, and totally stood up for the security guard!! i did put up an argument, which, resulted int he police getting called!!! i think, i actually had to admit to stealing to stop me from been arrested!! i cant remember what actually happened when the police arrived as i was panicing like hell, but, i was not arrested and not taken any were, so, im hoping my crb will be clear. i just dont know how ill explain myself if it comes up on my crb, and my employed says, why dint u tell us about this at interview, i will be sooooooooooo embarrassed!!

Aww must of been awful , and you are just one of the unlucky ones as believe me like MB said we have all done it innocently without realising ( hard shopping with kids /babies isnt it ? ).

Your crb will be fine honestly x

AATS

i did ask for the store manager, he came, and totally stood up for the … i did ask for the store manager, he came, and totally stood up for the security guard!! i did put up an argument, which, resulted int he police getting called!!! i think, i actually had to admit to stealing to stop me from been arrested!! i cant remember what actually happened when the police arrived as i was panicing like hell, but, i was not arrested and not taken any were, so, im hoping my crb will be clear. i just dont know how ill explain myself if it comes up on my crb, and my employed says, why dint u tell us about this at interview, i will be sooooooooooo embarrassed!!

If it does and stops you getting that or any job and you are 100% certain you never left asda e.g their premises seek legal advice.

dontasciime

If it does and stops you getting that or any job and you are 100% certain … If it does and stops you getting that or any job and you are 100% certain you never left asda e.g their premises seek legal advice.

You don't have to actually leave, going past the point of payment is enough

I guess the guard got personal with you because of the verbal fight. What a loser he was !

jonny619447

Did you actually leave the store or did you get pulled before you left. … Did you actually leave the store or did you get pulled before you left. It only becomes theft when you are out of the store.Theft is defined as:"A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it"

Not so, I`m afraid. `Intent to deprive` can be interpreted in different ways, but generally if you`ve passed the till point or concealed the items they can do you.

If I remember correctly, it`s easier to get done in Scotland as they`re more likely to pull you before you leave the shop. I forget why. Probably something to do with there being so many thieving gits going about.

wookiemummy

You don't have to actually leave, going past the point of payment is … You don't have to actually leave, going past the point of payment is enough

Nonsense (that's not a dig at you ) but It's nonsense and should never be accepted by any not guilty person) there are no tills at door, even so if you have a petrol station at the shop owned by the shop I would say I was going to pay there :lol

What constitutes point of payment what radius ? :lol

Can you show me a link which corroborates this

Banned

wookiemummy

You don't have to actually leave, going past the point of payment is … You don't have to actually leave, going past the point of payment is enough

Not what I got taught on my SIA course but hey. You should never admit theft unless your lawyer tells you to. Security guard was in the wrong. At the large super markets I've been to you can pick up flowers magazines dvds past the checkouts that are further inside the store.

Banned

Crowman

Not so, I`m afraid. `Intent to deprive` can be interpreted in different … Not so, I`m afraid. `Intent to deprive` can be interpreted in different ways, but generally if you`ve passed the till point or concealed the items they can do you.If I remember correctly, it`s easier to get done in Scotland as they`re more likely to pull you before you leave the shop. I forget why. Probably something to do with there being so many thieving gits going about.

just because you conceal an item doesn't mean theft. You're allowed to use your own shopping baskets to purchase items. Old grannies with their push baskets spring to mind.

Crowman

Not so, I`m afraid. `Intent to deprive` can be interpreted in different … Not so, I`m afraid. `Intent to deprive` can be interpreted in different ways, but generally if you`ve passed the till point or concealed the items they can do you.If I remember correctly, it`s easier to get done in Scotland as they`re more likely to pull you before you leave the shop. I forget why. Probably something to do with there being so many thieving gits going about.

This debate could go on forever but If OP truly forgot it was there then there is no intent, the trouble comes when trying to prove she forgot it was there.

I personally believe the value of goods purchased and the small value of items "stolen" also adds doubt to that intent.

Just my opinion.

lumoruk

just because you conceal an item doesn't mean theft. You're allowed to … just because you conceal an item doesn't mean theft. You're allowed to use your own shopping baskets to purchase items. Old grannies with their push baskets spring to mind.

It depends on how you interpret the word conceal. I wouldn`t consider a granny carrying her shopping in her own basket while she potters about the shop `concealment`. Someone deliberately hiding the goods is another matter.

For what it`s worth, I worked security for 6 years and I wouldn`t have nicked the OP. For them to have known she hadn`t paid for the loo roll it sounds like they saw her when she paid for the other stuff, so why not mention at the till point that she forgot to pay? Makes much more sense.

OP is a thief and now wants to look after old people who are prone to theft of their personal belongings and monies because of their vulnerability...

uh oh

Original Poster

oh and i must say..........3 policemen attended the store for the "stolen" toilet rolls!!! what a great way to spend tax payers money!!!

Original Poster

i hope your not serious!! :-s

numptyj

OP is a thief and now wants to look after old people who are prone to … OP is a thief and now wants to look after old people who are prone to theft of their personal belongings and monies because of their vulnerability...uh oh

Don't ever admit anything to the police without speaking to a legal advisor whether it is shoplifting or murder! There are lots of points to prove when it comes to left but if you walk past the point of payment it is something that can be used to prove intention, especially if they have been seen to conceal it beforehand. The op had no intention so had it gone to court( which it never would have as the police did not believe any intention) the offence would not have been complete. It is the same about whether you have the means to pay. Someone would be just as guilty walking past a point of payment (obviously depends on where the told are in a shop) with no money with 10 packs of razor blades stuffed in their jacket as someone who has walked out the door. Obviously each case is different but if intention is there it is there wherever they walk to, they would however have a defence if it was before the tills.
Is an SIA course a security one? The law for security is slightly different for security stopping people as a non police officer you cannot work on suspicion like police officers but you have to have seen an offence been or being committed so they may work on the basis of walking out the door. Not sure if that is the case but it may explain our difference of opinion.

Original Poster

to be fair, i totally understood were the security guard was coming from........he had a job to do and he did it......but he was very ar**y about it! his attitude stunk!! which made me have an attitude, which resulted in the police and bla bla bla bla. but, at the end of the day, he was doing his job, i was about to walk out with goods i hadnt paid for (weather it was an accident or not) and i reckon he will hear the same stories every day, so, why should he believe i was innocent?? but, i do believe there was no need to involve the police, and there was no need for his stinky attitude. it was a situation which could of been resolved very easily if he'd of listened to me, but nooooooooooo, he HAD to be right, stubborn ****!!!!
and now i just hope it wont affect my new job im not a thief, far from it!! and to be honest, i dont care if some on here dont believe me, i dont know you, but thanks alot to those who do believe me and have put my mind to rest a little bit, its very much appreciated

Yeah I was Joking.

No hate though but I thought there was more in this than a misunderstanding....you say yourself you had an attitude with the security guard, not sure why, surely when he said where you going with them rolls etc you should have been like oooops totally forgot I'll go back and pay for them....I don't know why you would ever get in in a slanging match with security guard when you're in the wrong.

Anyway good luck with the crb and job lol
Edited by: "numptyj" 17th May 2011

Original Poster

i asked if i could pay, he was totally 100% adamant that i was intentionally thieving, he was trying to get me to sign documents, asking for my name etc, iw as refusing to give him the info until he listened to my explanation, he was refusing to listen and just kept saying, you can explaing youself till your blue in the face love, i hear this everyday bla bla bla, he was just soooooo rude and ignorant!! and i was totally innocent, when he said if i didnt cooperate he'd call the police, i just said go on then, and he did, the police believed me so why wouldnt he??!! the police confirmed i had never done it before, id never been known to them etc....obviously there is a 1st for everything, but.....this was not an intentional 1st for me
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Why was the deal I just posted removed?78
    2. Foo fighters presale code.109
    3. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.33
    4. Lost snipping tool on windows 10 laptop48

See more discussions