Mate 20 pro warranty

Posted 7th Oct
I purchased a Like new mate 20 pro from a deal i found on this site.
I asked the seller about warranty etc and they assured me it was 2 years.
The phone came with a deteriated battery and when i tried to get support from huawei they told me proof of purchase was required, as the ebay seller cant provide this and this renders the warranty useless is there anything i can do?
Community Updates
6 Comments
Open a PayPal dispute
"...from a deal i found on this site" implies business seller and if UK-based business seller then that business seller is subject to usual UK consumer legislation including obligations related to sales of not-new items.
AndyRoyd08/10/2019 01:05

"...from a deal i found on this site" implies business seller and if …"...from a deal i found on this site" implies business seller and if UK-based business seller then that business seller is subject to usual UK consumer legislation including obligations related to sales of not-new items.

So what does this mean for me and the device?
Sohail_Nadeem08/10/2019 07:37

So what does this mean for me and the device?

Business seller is obligated to warrant the equipment against defects for minimum 6 months. If it is an O2 "Like New" item, O2 state the O2 warranty is 12months from purchase.
AndyRoyd08/10/2019 10:09

Business seller is obligated to warrant the equipment against defects for …Business seller is obligated to warrant the equipment against defects for minimum 6 months. If it is an O2 "Like New" item, O2 state the O2 warranty is 12months from purchase.

It was an ebay seller with over 1000 reviews, they originally extended the refund period by a month due to tensions with Google and when i contacted them later on due to the deteriorated battery they told me to contact HUAWEI. Huawei refused to fix it as i had no proof of purchase so do i go back to the ebay seller? When purchasing they did tell me it had 2 years warranty via huawei
Sohail_Nadeem08/10/2019 12:20

It was an ebay seller with over 1000 reviews, they originally extended the …It was an ebay seller with over 1000 reviews, they originally extended the refund period by a month due to tensions with Google and when i contacted them later on due to the deteriorated battery they told me to contact HUAWEI. Huawei refused to fix it as i had no proof of purchase so do i go back to the ebay seller? When purchasing they did tell me it had 2 years warranty via huawei

To repeat / expand: you likely have two issues; potential attempted evasion of merchant warranty and a not-as-described item.
If the item was sold by a UK business that business (merchant) has mandatory consumer obligations, including a warranty applicable to the status of the goods. A "like new" item will still include a mandatory merchant warranty and if there is no specific battery warranty exclusion/limitation in the item description then the merchant has a legal obligation to rectify any reasonable battery issue that occurs within an appropriate time from purchase. Batteries are often classed as consumables with a warranty period less than other hardware so there may be a short "appropriate" warranty period applicable to a "like new" battery (CPW suggest 6m warranty on a typical new Huawei battery here so a "like new" battery warranty may be less depending on interpretation of "like new").
Then there is the apparent not-as-described issue where the item does not appear to qualify for the (gesture of goodwill) manufacturer warranty stated by the merchant at point of and post-sale. This may be a legitimate reason to claim a full / part refund, or a basis to attempt to enforce the merchant provide or pay for an equivalent manufacturer warranty.
The route to resolve the issue is your choice depending on time since purchase. You have a few options: contact the merchant and request the merchant rectifies the issue. If the merchant declines a reasonable & legitimate merchant warranty request for for any reason you have the option of letter-before-action followed by a Moneyclaimonline case for either the expected cost of battery issue resolution, full/part refund or the cost of a 2yr warranty equivalent to a manufacturer warranty. Or if purchased via PayPal and within 180days from purchase PP will likely uphold a claim to enforce full refund for an item that can be shown to be not-as-described.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants