Groups

Math help needed

I am trying to figure out the thickness of a metal bar in my glass cabinet. I need to find the thickness as I need to get some plastic tubing to cover them.
    Can someone that knows the way to work this out please help me ?.
    I have took a piece of paper and wrapped it around the bar once and then measured that - 2cm. I need to know what that equates to and if tubing listed as having either - 3mm/8mm/12mm inside diameter would fit around the bar once its cut. I want the tubing to cover some think cabling as well. This is a project to put lighting in around the support bars.

Its hard to explain. I just cant get my head around it. I was good at most other things in math but not the diameter side of things.

10 Comments

convertalot.com/cir…tml
    0.6366197723675814 According to that link. So 7-8mm tubing (I think)
    (And its Maths, unless you're American )
    Edited by: "Goonieman" 24th Jan 2011

circumference = 3.142 x diameter so the diameter will equal the circumference divided by 3.142

so 2 divided by 3.142 will give you the diameter.

Why can't you just measure the diameter with whatever you are measuring the circumference with?
    Edited by: "greg_68" 24th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Thanks. I was always told to call it Math in school (English) blame it on them.

I cant measure the diameter as the metal bars are all attached in the cases frame. Well I could but would require me to dissemble.

Have you thought of using clear spiral wrap instead?

This stuff fits many diameters and you could wrap your cable up without having to do any dismantling.

Original Poster

The clear spiral wrap is a good idea. Not 100% sure on what I'm doing ATM. I was thinking of cutting clear tubing into small lengths and fitting while letting each bulb be out.

Just trying to get some impressions from a community of like minded collectors on the pricey IKEA lights. No matter what I will use information from here to do a case thats not filled yet.

You could also use heatshrink tubing which is a tube that shrinks to about half its size when heated up with a heat gun. Could give a nicer finish than the spiral wrap and again you don't need to worry about the exact size of the stuff you buy.

teraomi

Thanks. I was always told to call it Math in school (English) blame it on … Thanks. I was always told to call it Math in school (English) blame it on them.I cant measure the diameter as the metal bars are all attached in the cases frame. Well I could but would require me to dissemble.

just move the equation around to find your unknown.

diameter = circumference / 3.142
    Edited by: "Plum" 24th Jan 2011

i wish i had done my math or maths whatever,now i can't understand what the ppl are talking when they are talking abt math or maths

Original Poster

Ah, I expected it had something to do with pi. TY
    Heat shrink stuff sounds good but knowing me I will probably end up changing the lights a few times. The format that I use has to be easily removable and reusable.

teraomi

Ah, I expected it had something to do with pi. TYHeat shrink stuff sounds … Ah, I expected it had something to do with pi. TYHeat shrink stuff sounds good but knowing me I will probably end up changing the lights a few times. The format that I use has to be easily removable and reusable.

to get the diameter.. hold the rod in the plunger and then measure the distance between two ends would that not give you indication of the diameter?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions