Mathematicians: Upgrade your Casio fx-83es, fx-82es or fx-85es to a much better fx-991es for free!

If you have a Casio fx-83es, fx-82es or fx-85es you can upgrade it to a fx-991es yourself by taking the back off, and colouring a chip in with a pencil.

The reason for this is because the chinese education system banned the extra features that you get on the 991 calculator for exams, some time after production started on the 83, and so they allowed the calculators to be easily modified without redesign.

It might not work for your calculator, so check out the link below for how to do it and more information:
thestudentroom.co.uk/sho…1es

I have also put a link to a casio fx-83es, which you can upgrade, basically meaning you can get the fx-991 for significantly cheaper.

Not sure if this is in the right place for this sorry.

16 Comments

tried it and works well (however don't let anyone catch you with the change) Also has to be specific ones.

what difference does it make to my fx85es?

It allows for saving a selection of formulas on.

Heat added.

electriclinux;3390386

It allows for saving a selection of formulas on.

How do you do this, I really need to do this. Please help me!:?:?

Original Poster

You can integrate and put in equations and get them to solve it for different values. its all numerical rather than symbolic operating system, meaning that its allowed for all exams (that i've taken anyway).

Heres a good page on getting the best of the calculator...

thestudentroom.co.uk/wik…tor

Good - but does not really belong on HUKD. More like a technical blog site (like digital spy?)

Well spotted however.

Original Poster

hussaifa;3392009

Good - but does not really belong on HUKD. More like a technical blog … Good - but does not really belong on HUKD. More like a technical blog site (like digital spy?)Well spotted however.

Digital spy? As in the celebrity news website?:?

I like it (I am a physics student and loving it ), lots of people here would be interested in this.

Hi all.

I have a Casio fx-83MS.

Will this fix work on my calculator please.

Thanks

Original Poster

No sorry its too old. I've got the same one.

Moved to Misc as this isn't really a freebie... more of a tip.

hussaifa;3392009

Good - but does not really belong on HUKD. More like a technical blog … Good - but does not really belong on HUKD. More like a technical blog site (like digital spy?)Well spotted however.

:w00t::w00t:;-):oops:

will give it a go tomorrow

Stupid question coming up............

I have the FX83es and cannot for the life in me get it to go to factory standard settings.

I have done the whole setup thing but when I try working something relatively simple (for a calculator, not me) i always get the answers back as a ridiculous fraction i.e 4745/45???

Or something as simple as adding VAT percentages gives me a BS answer.

So after a long way of getting round to it, my question is.... does anyone know how to fix it??

:oops:

Aww I have a fx-85ms so can't try it. I didn't even know the brand of my calculator until I just looked lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?24104
    2. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 8912
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2849
    4. Sad news about Barcelona24102

See more discussions