Found 26th Jan 2011
Stuck on the last question, lol.

The mean density of the Earth is about 5.52, while that of the Moon is only 3.34.
A) if the Earth had the same volume as the Moon, how many times more massive than the Moon would it be?

Regards.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

You can work it out Volume = mass/density and volume is the same for both so you can equate mass(Earth)/density(Earth) = mass(Moon)/Density(moon) and then get mass(earth) in terms of mass(moon).

This comment I have entered did not contain enough characters - does now!!!

i dont understand does it want an answer in the form of a ratio/ percentage? or is a single figure such as the one above representative of a unit of mass i am unfamilliar with?

=5.52/3.34 times

hughwp

=5.52/3.34 times

this is my kinda thinking but you woudl need to make that of the mass of the moon 1

1.65:1 ???

somebody explain this to me im soo clujed

1.65X more massive?

joeprosho

this is my kinda thinking but you woudl need to make that of the mass of … this is my kinda thinking but you woudl need to make that of the mass of the moon 1

No because the question is how much more massive is the Earth than the Moon, so the answer is the Earth is (5.52/3.34) times the mass of the moon and so is 5.52/3.34 more massive.

Original Poster

I got 1.6526

bigfoot100

No because the question is how much more massive is the Earth than the … No because the question is how much more massive is the Earth than the Moon, so the answer is the Earth is (5.52/3.34) times the mass of the moon and so is 5.52/3.34 more massive.

no self respecting ratio would look like that it would be *a figure*:1

such as a map 250,000:1

Which moon? We have 2...

It is not a ratio it is a number, which equals 1.65.

And not all ratio's are *a figure*:1, 2:3 is a ratio. Even 4:2 is a ratio but simplified it is 2:1 it doesn't however make it any less of a ratio.
Edited by: "bigfoot100" 26th Jan 2011

okey dokey im going down another route now which is scaring me, the difference between the two density's is 2.18, the density of the moon is 3.34, this means the earth is 65.3% more dense than that of the moon, which we now i done this is the exact same as our previous calculation... hmm

id say your answer is 1.65 as previous concluded...

bigfoot100

It is not a ratio it is a number, which equals 1.65.And not all ratio's … It is not a ratio it is a number, which equals 1.65.And not all ratio's are *a figure*:1, 2:3 is a ratio. Even 4:2 is a ratio but simplified it is 2:1 it doesn't however make it any less of a ratio.

its a fair point but i think if you just gave an answer of 5.52:3.34 your teacher would be ****

im a little annoyed this question confused me at first but im a stickler for wording

joeprosho

its a fair point but i think if you just gave an answer of 5.52/3.34 your … its a fair point but i think if you just gave an answer of 5.52/3.34 your teacher would be ****

I agree but I was trying to help the op get to the answer themselves rather than just giving them it.

moose109

Which moon? We have 2...

Your obviously from a different planet to the rest of us (_;)

bigfoot100

I agree but I was trying to help the op get to the answer themselves … I agree but I was trying to help the op get to the answer themselves rather than just giving them it.

fair play, must admit i got a little lost in your first comment, thought it was gna be a lot harder question than it actually was and was confused by the format desired final figure

Original Poster

Thanks guys.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2231
    2. Hope of a cure for asthma56
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769299
    4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7871476

See more discussions