Found 30th Mar 2010
Hi, could you guys help me understand statistics. Basically Ive recorded some data from an experiment I carried out. Using programs like excel and minitab I have plotted scatter graphs, regression curves etc.

Some of my questions:

1. What does finding the equation of say a curve or line do i.e. the purpose?

2. If I find the P value of one of my graphs what do I do with this value.

3. What stats can I apply to my data to asses whether it is reliable or not, or whether the data is significant or not?

Essentially I need methods to let me know whether I can reject or accept my hypothesis, I'd like to know if the data I collected happened by chance or is statistically significant.

Many thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Maths
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Maths
6 Comments

Original Poster

Well I guess in terms of the stats world these are considered easy, but I just dont know the answers.

1) Purpose? Doesn't really make sense to me - but I suppose you could say that as there is an equation, it shows that the results follow a pattern allowing you to make a conclusion to verify or reject your hypothesis.

2) The p value is the probability of obtaining that result / value

3) There are many different hypothesis tests. : Spearman's rank, PMCC, Chi-squared test ...... to name a few. Also depending on distribution there are the standard binomial and poisson

Hope this helped.
PS: I have done S1 and S2 and am currently doing S3 (A-level maths modules)

Correlation coefficeint

T-test

Original Poster

Ive also ready a little bit about the P value. Is it as simple as if the P value is above X then the hypothesis is correct or incorrect?

amzmalhotra;8243922

1) Purpose? Doesn't really make sense to me - but I suppose you could say … 1) Purpose? Doesn't really make sense to me - but I suppose you could say that as there is an equation, it shows that the results follow a pattern allowing you to make a conclusion to verify or reject your hypothesis.2) The p value is the probability of obtaining that result / value3) There are many different hypothesis tests. : Spearman's rank, PMCC, Chi-squared test ...... to name a few. Also depending on distribution there are the standard binomial and poissonHope this helped.PS: I have done S1 and S2 and am currently doing S3 (A-level maths modules)

The P score is the probability of the result of the test happening expresed as a decimal (I think). So a P score of 0.95 would mean that 95 times out of 100 of doing the experiment the result would happen, therefore your result is reliable.

if the p-value is less than or equal to your significance level then you reject the hypothesis (H0) and opt in favour of the other hypothesis (H1), otherwise you do not reject (not the same as accept)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…48107
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52422864
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427914645
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769427

See more discussions