Mattress Amazon UK sent to Italy needs to be returned

Found 4th Jul
I bought this from my sister as a present. Single mattress. Cost £116 in total. It needed to be a particular kind of mattress and it was cheaper on Amazon UK on a lightning deal than from an Italian vendor.

It is defective and needs to be sent back. Tried to arrange the return and it says I have to see about sending it back myself and they will refund up to 8 pounds something for the postage.
Obviously I am here in the UK and the mattress is in Italy instead.

Item has been delivered to Italy for £20. I paid that as a delivery charge. All quotes I am obtaining are around 70 euros or more.

The mattress also came rolled up and now is obviously not rolled up anymore as she let it swell up to its full size. It won't fit the box it came in anymore. It is still in the plastic protection, though. Is that good enough for shipping?

I have 2 issues now. How to package it as it's heavy and too big now and how to have it sent back without losing money. Amazon won't collect it.

I tried the live chat too and the guy mentioned Parcel2go lol and wouldn't understand that it has to go from Italy to the UK so can't use Parcel2go as they ship from here. He also assured me I would get a full refund of the shipping charges but then why does it say up to 8 pounds something only when I tried to generate the label? I have the chat transcript but I don't trust his words at all.

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
12 Comments
Was it sold fulfilled by amazon? Sometimes they refund the postage if you tell them how much, but that may be unlikely in this case. It also may need additional plastic protection when you send it.
That’s the problem with non national deliveries. If ordering to send to Italy you should use the appropriate amazon for that country, that way you would contact the site there for returns, because you’ve sent it outside the uk from amazon.co.uk you kind of have to sort it out yourself and the distance selling regulations probably don’t apply. For amazon uk it’ll cost them more to ship it back than the item is worth and the £20 shipping you paid was subsidised by amazon which they won’t do on the return of the item.
arjanvirdi1 m ago

Was it sold fulfilled by amazon? Sometimes they refund the postage if you …Was it sold fulfilled by amazon? Sometimes they refund the postage if you tell them how much, but that may be unlikely in this case. It also may need additional plastic protection when you send it.

Sold and dispatched by Amazon.

I think I'll send an email and request they collect it. They shipped it there via their own courier service so they can collect it and ship it back too.
cmdr_elito6 m ago

That’s the problem with non national deliveries. If ordering to send to I …That’s the problem with non national deliveries. If ordering to send to Italy you should use the appropriate amazon for that country, that way you would contact the site there for returns, because you’ve sent it outside the uk from amazon.co.uk you kind of have to sort it out yourself and the distance selling regulations probably don’t apply. For amazon uk it’ll cost them more to ship it back than the item is worth and the £20 shipping you paid was subsidised by amazon which they won’t do on the return of the item.

The product I wanted wasn't on the Italian one. The reason why I bought it from here is that it was cheaper than buying from an Italian vendor.
I saw another case online where someone was offered a partial refund of shipping charges but for something sent within the UK and they sorted it out via email so I'll try that.

They sold me a defective product so they should be the one suffering a financial loss. Not me. If they lose money on the shipping it's their problem. They shouldn't offer international shipping on such items then.

I just want them to collect the mattress themselves also because I have no idea how it can be sent back now it's not rolled up anymore.
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th Jul
hearts226 m ago

The product I wanted wasn't on the Italian one. The reason why I bought it …The product I wanted wasn't on the Italian one. The reason why I bought it from here is that it was cheaper than buying from an Italian vendor. I saw another case online where someone was offered a partial refund of shipping charges but for something sent within the UK and they sorted it out via email so I'll try that. They sold me a defective product so they should be the one suffering a financial loss. Not me. If they lose money on the shipping it's their problem. They shouldn't offer international shipping on such items then. I just want them to collect the mattress themselves also because I have no idea how it can be sent back now it's not rolled up anymore.

Even if they agree to collect it, it’ll be your responsibility to ensure it’s packed appropriately, couriers don’t pack stuff especially large items (I used to work for a well known global courier company).

I’d rather pay a little more from an Italian vendor than go the PITA when things go wrong....

I have family in both Italy and Portugal, sending stuff there is a complete PITA.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 4th Jul
cmdr_elito22 m ago

Even if they agree to collect it, it’ll be your responsibility to ensure i …Even if they agree to collect it, it’ll be your responsibility to ensure it’s packed appropriately, couriers don’t pack stuff especially large items (I used to work for a well known global courier company). I’d rather pay a little more from an Italian vendor than go the PITA when things go wrong....I have family in both Italy and Portugal, sending stuff there is a complete PITA.

Lesson learned!
Best to talk to amazon through the phone.
Their customer service reps do have a lot of leeway.

Had a problem returning a faulty desk chair (£80)
As amazon was having problems with the courier they use for big items returns.
After some calls they just refunded me the price and let me dispose of the chair myself
Is it faulty or just not wanted/mind changed?

Did you pay by credit card?
It is faulty. A spring can be felt.

I paid by debit card.

I got a reply by email by the same guy I spoke to on live chat. He said they can't refund me if I don't send it back.
Well I have never demanded a refund without sending the item back :/.

I'll attempt to send another email and see if someone else replies with a better suggestion.
hearts221 h, 49 m ago

It is faulty. A spring can be felt.

Not surprising if it arrived rolled up.
No. 1 rule of sprung mattresses - don't roll them up !
hearts225 h, 8 m ago

It is faulty. A spring can be felt. I paid by debit card.I got a reply by …It is faulty. A spring can be felt. I paid by debit card.I got a reply by email by the same guy I spoke to on live chat. He said they can't refund me if I don't send it back. Well I have never demanded a refund without sending the item back :/.I'll attempt to send another email and see if someone else replies with a better suggestion.

Are you sure it isn’t a Pea under the mattress?

As it’s faulty, they should cover all costs. Ask them to arrange pickup as the item isn’t manageable to take anywhere.
I've had graphics cards (in stock and sold by Amazon.co.uk) come all the way from Italy. Very annoying considering It wouldn't be too difficult for them to arrange your return to one of their local Italian distribution/return centres.

I remember a few years ago on here people were ordering LG TV's from Amazon.de and they ended up coming from a UK warehouse - when a few people tried to return them for various reasons they had to be sent to Germany but they were refunded the full return £50-80 shipping cost.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants