mattress for an uncomfy sleeper

11 replies
Found 1st Feb
I'm not a very good sleeper, I toss and turn a lot and I often get too hot.

I've been looking at combination gel/latex and pocket spring matresses but there's a very limited range of these in stores and I'm getting frustrated at finding comfy mattresses only to get home and find people complaining about how hot they get in reviews. Not to mention salespeople who won't take a hint that I want to be left alone (or even being told outright).

Anyone able to recommend a double pocket spring hybrid mattress that's medium firmness, quiet (no loud spring noises when moving) and doesn't get too hot?

My budget's around £550 but I'd like as cheap as possible.

11 Comments

I have a 2000 pocket springs mattress, dose wonders for me and my partner. Did have friends stay round once who we let have the bed for the night and they did complain it is to soft. Your best of popping into one of the bed stores which can compare each bed and you can test while your there.

Different people like different things, so even your ideal mattress will have complaints. I wouldn't worry about other peoples opinions and recommendations, just go for the one you've tried and found to be the most comfortable.

Where are you roughly? People near you may be able to recommend shops that have unusual stock or a wide range.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Different people like different things, so even your ideal mattress will … Different people like different things, so even your ideal mattress will have complaints. I wouldn't worry about other peoples opinions and recommendations, just go for the one you've tried and found to be the most comfortable.Where are you roughly? People near you may be able to recommend shops that have unusual stock or a wide range.

I'm in the south-east around brighton, I've been to the big stores like Bensons and Dreams but they only had a very limited range of medium pocket spring matresses for my price range.

We paid £500 for a super king latex topped mattress in ikea. It's medium, but think it falls into medium firm. No noise and not as hot as our much more expensive other bed. Think it was a HOKKÅSEN mattress. Also ikea do a 90 day exchange if it's not right for you.

Try evemattress.co.uk
Having said that I did sleep well on an IKEA mattress last weekend so would also recommend them.

abigsmurf

I'm in the south-east around brighton, I've been to the big stores like … I'm in the south-east around brighton, I've been to the big stores like Bensons and Dreams but they only had a very limited range of medium pocket spring matresses for my price range.

I'm not local so I can't help much with stores. Although if you go to London Latex Sense might be worth a look:
latexsense.co.uk/sho…oom

Personally when I was looking a year or so ago the nicest mattress I saw in your budget was the Mammoth Performance 15, although it looks like they've slightly changed it since then (or maybe just rebranded). It's a solid foam mattress but elastic foam so it's much more springy than visco-elastic memory foam. Similar to the softer Latex models in feel, but cheaper. It's worth looking around for local stockists.

I got a mattress from john lewis that was a customer order that was unwanted. £750 for a £1600 Mattress. 7 Year Guarantee. Its the best thing in my house, every evening I get into bed thinking money well spent. Id recommend going to try them out, I know these are up for sale on ebay discounted, assumingly from auction or customer cancellations. Maybe think about the duvet you use ? id recommend an ikea one, ive had two and they have lasted for ever !! I have to sleep with the window open I get so hot.
Edited by: "Britneyfan" 1st Feb

Just got an email from Costco with this mattress on offer. Has great reviews. You may have to pay £15 for a years online membership if you're not a member.
m.costco.co.uk/vie…546

Original Poster

Britneyfan

I got a mattress from john lewis that was a customer order that was … I got a mattress from john lewis that was a customer order that was unwanted. £750 for a £1600 Mattress. 7 Year Guarantee. Its the best thing in my house, every evening I get into bed thinking money well spent. Id recommend going to try them out, I know these are up for sale on ebay discounted, assumingly from auction or customer cancellations. Maybe think about the duvet you use ? id recommend an ikea one, ive had two and they have lasted for ever !! I have to sleep with the window open I get so hot.

I've been having a look at the John Lewis ebay and it does look like there's some bargains there. Looks like it has some pretty high end mattress with heavy reductions (real ones, not the fake ones you see in the 'sales' from most of these stores)

They do a good deal on the Simba hybrid mattress which looks like it fixes the two things I dislike about memory foam (heat and almost having to climb out of the the recess your body makes when you shift position).

The retail on our mattress was £1600, not my choice bu the Mrs got trade from Dreams. Personally I would just try a decent mattress topper and keep the window open in the bedroom.

Have you looked at just getting a thick mattress topper?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G914
    2. Computer upgrades67
    3. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold77
    4. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?89

See more discussions