Mattress help

Found 27th Dec 2017
Hi guys,

I bought a memory foam mattress and slept on it that night. Read else where that you have to leave them for at least 72 hours? Have I messed up? Has it changed anything?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
Never heard of that before!

If you slept well, does it matter? It’s doing its job
Oh dear.... You can expect the foam fairy to give you the odd sleepless night now.
What are you meant to sleep on when the suppliers take the old one away (as many do over this service )?
Normally they advise that you don’t sleep on mattresses for a period of time to allow them to breathe. No one ever does it. If you want to sort of comply with that just sleep on it and strip the bed again when you wake up and remake it at bed time. Do that for a few days.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 27th Dec 2017
The mattress will remember the way you treated it and won't ever let you sleep again!
Original Poster
itsdavidjones198435 m ago

The mattress will remember the way you treated it and won't ever let you …The mattress will remember the way you treated it and won't ever let you sleep again!

!
Haha love this
These mattresses (sp) are like elephants, that's it now it will never forget how you didn't leave it alone for the first 72 hours!
The 72 hours thing is normally for 2 reasons.
Firstly to allow the memory foam to settle back into the proper mattress shape after being stored and transported.
Secondly to allow for off-gassing.... Memory foam is made from loads of chemicals and when it is unwrapped they tend to be released into the air.... Sometimes you can smell them when you unwrap the new items.... It's rather akin to that smell you get when you paint a room..... The 72 hours waiting thing is to allow these chemicals to be released, because some people find them unpleasant and they can sometimes cause issues for those with allergies and chemical/respiratory sensitivities.
Just stand in the corner of the room for another 48 hours.
If you don't, you'll be cursed and wee the bed on the 1st of every month in 2018.
Original Poster
Ok thanks. So just to confirm by me not waiting 72 hours it hasn't effected how comfy it is?
machomansavage1 h, 16 m ago

Ok thanks. So just to confirm by me not waiting 72 hours it hasn't …Ok thanks. So just to confirm by me not waiting 72 hours it hasn't effected how comfy it is?

I don't think it will damage the mattress, it might have effected how comfortable you felt that evening as it may have been a bit over-squished in places from packaging and transit; and there may have been some off- gassing fumes.....
but eventually the mattress will settle out naturally it won't be spoilt.
Original Poster
PrincessJellybean28 m ago

I don't think it will damage the mattress, it might have effected how …I don't think it will damage the mattress, it might have effected how comfortable you felt that evening as it may have been a bit over-squished in places from packaging and transit; and there may have been some off- gassing fumes.....but eventually the mattress will settle out naturally it won't be spoilt.

Thank you. Argos collected old one a week later so looking back I could of let the new one settle while still using old one for a few more days. Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants