Mattress Questions

Found 3rd Jun
We're buying a mattress. It needs to be a King Size and we already have a divan bed so suitable to go onto that.

We went round the shops etc and decided on one, ordered it and the company went bust before delivering. It has now taken a good while to recover the money and we're now ready to buy again!

However we've had longer to think, which has now made it more difficult!

Last time we went round a few local shops, we lay on the beds and chose the one that felt best. The shop had made it difficult to compare it online as they used their own names for the mattresses. We ended up paying £389 including delivery and removal of the old mattress. However since spending time thinking we found out from codes on the invoices etc. that the mattress was a Rembrandt 1500 Pocket Sprung, which I can find online for £279 including delivery.

So that gives me option 1 - just order that one again, online and end up saving £110 over what we originally paid.

However a little bit of me then thought that a £279 mattress sounded a bit cheap and maybe it wasn't very good after all. It felt the best, but we were testing them out fully dressed and only for a few minutes, if I'm honest I see little value in testing them out, pretty much all mattresses I've ever slept on have been comfortable until the middle of the night.

We had one of the early mattress in a box type memory foam mattresses and it was awful, it was the worst thing we've ever had, we perhaps managed nearly a year before getting rid and getting the mattress we've got now, however that was about 9 years ago or so, so hopefully they've moved on since?! We didn't even bother trying them out when shopping as we remembered the bad experience!

One of the things we hated is that we both sleep pretty near the edge of the bed, and with the memory foam mattress it had no edge support, the mattress would conform to your shape and you felt like you were rolling out. We also felt to warm underneath.

I'm starting to wonder if it is worth giving one of the 100 night trial type mattresses ago? Something like the Casper or Simba?

They cost a bit more than I'd budgeted (Budget was £400 - they seem to be more like £550) but we'd have 100 nights to try it out.

Does anyone know if they do have the problem near the edges? Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks
Community Updates
12 Comments
I'm not generally a great fan of Ikea but actually their mattresses are a good buy. Foam will never have good edge support, I'd suggest doing what we did which was get a pocket sprung mattress and one of the thick memory foam toppers. That still won't have as much edge support as a cage type ones (that have a wire frame around the edge) but is a fairly good compromise. I don't sleep on the edge but I do tend to lie on the edge of the bed with a book on the floor (so that I can have a light on and the bed shields my wife from the light).
I'd go for a sealy pocket sprung with memory foam off ebay £500 ish but the Mrs wants the premier Inn mattress off their website. Never see the point in tring one as you can't tell. Salesman advice is more important than lying down. I'm all in on sealy though but bet I end up on a Premier Inn bed
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Jun
wayners4 m ago

I'd go for a sealy pocket sprung with memory foam off ebay £500 ish but …I'd go for a sealy pocket sprung with memory foam off ebay £500 ish but the Mrs wants the premier Inn mattress off their website. Never see the point in tring one as you can't tell. Salesman advice is more important than lying down. I'm all in on sealy though but bet I end up on a Premier Inn bed

Have got one on order based on how comfortable they have been in the past, when I have stayed in Premier Inns.

They are nice mattresses.
I slept fine on a Premier Inn mattress last week, and have also had comfortable nights sleep on the Travelodge Dreamer beds in the past.

However although they were fine, and I slept well there wasn't anything wow about them, maybe that's all it needs to be though!?
Looking at both the Premier Inn one and the Travelodge one, they both look to be fairly low spec'd compared to other mattresses. How much of that is marketing bull I don't know!?

The Premier Inn ones are Hypnos ones but only come with a 5 year guarantee compared to 10 year guarantee with a Hypnos mattress.

They're both around 1000 pocket springs which seems low compared with others around the same price point.

It is such a confusing purchase, for too much marketing nonsense, the fact that the mattress settles over a few months and changes firmness.

I am getting tempted by the 100 day trail, Simba offers finance with theirs so I take it you would just pay for the 3 months or so that you use it, if you then returned it after 90 days, they'd just refund what you've paid and the credit agreement would stop???
Why not try looking on QVC. You have 30 days to 'try it out'.

Pros.
If you don't like it you can return it. You don't get back the cost of delivery.
If you like it, and it's cheaper elsewhere, again, return it and order from elsewhere.

Cons.
They collect your old mattress on delivery of new one, so if you do return it, you would be without a mattress.
We have a hyde and sleep mattress...it was a boxed mattress but we’ve really got on with it. It does have a 100 night sleep guarantee if you didn’t like it. Most have the ‘so many nights sleep guarantee’ nowadays
Have a look on Costco, they sell the big brands normally cheaper and their return policy us excellent even for beds. We bought a cheap silentnight bed, it was awful but we persisted with it getting memory foam toppers and after 10 months was talking to someone who worked there and they said just return it thought we would have no chance after the first 14 days but they returned it no questions asked we bought a better more expensive one from them and coordinated the return and delivery on the same day.
Mattress man 1200 pocket sprung at least!
Ikea mattress are good quality and they offer very long warranty. I do think, i bought mine for £350-400 included delivery and it is very comfy. Going good after 3 years. Hope this helps
Having had a good search around and reading a lot, I found a company called OTTY who do a hybrid mattress which seems to have what I want. It has 2000 pocket coils in the middle, various layers of foam and a washable cover. The key extra though is it has side support - which is high density foam.

I don't know how well it will work (has anyone here tried one?), but it has the usual 100 day trial.

It is £499 on it's own or £549 with a pair of OTTY pillows.

So I'm nearly convinced to go with this - just a quick question about finance now...

Am I better to buy on credit card to get the Section 75 cover, or am I better to go with the 0% interest finance option from the site?

The 0% finance would be slightly better financially, but would I get any sort of extra cover?

Would the section 75 or the finance cover me should OTTY go bust during the 100 day trial? Just imagining not liking it but then being unable to return it.

Would either cover it if the product became faulty in say 5 years but OTTY no longer existed? (It has a 10 year warranty)

Thanks!
nbuuifx45 m ago

Having had a good search around and reading a lot, I found a company …Having had a good search around and reading a lot, I found a company called OTTY who do a hybrid mattress which seems to have what I want. It has 2000 pocket coils in the middle, various layers of foam and a washable cover. The key extra though is it has side support - which is high density foam.I don't know how well it will work (has anyone here tried one?), but it has the usual 100 day trial.It is £499 on it's own or £549 with a pair of OTTY pillows.So I'm nearly convinced to go with this - just a quick question about finance now...Am I better to buy on credit card to get the Section 75 cover, or am I better to go with the 0% interest finance option from the site?The 0% finance would be slightly better financially, but would I get any sort of extra cover?Would the section 75 or the finance cover me should OTTY go bust during the 100 day trial? Just imagining not liking it but then being unable to return it.Would either cover it if the product became faulty in say 5 years but OTTY no longer existed? (It has a 10 year warranty)Thanks!

Hi I can't advise on this as I have no clue but you might find it easier to get an answer to this last question if you make a new post, or change your title to include finance advice good luck with the search
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants