Mattress Suggestions

Posted 2nd Mar
Hi guys, can anyone suggest a King Size mattress for around £600 that is a bit firm?
I want to avoid all the bed in a box styles, so no Simba, Otty, Eve, Nectar, Casper, Emma, Leesa etc

Ideally for a side / front sleeper.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
All i can say is stay away from anything containing gel or memory foam if you don’t like a hot bed. I’ve had a nightmare after buying one recently!
Costco
Somnus mattress are hand made with natural fibres. Beautiful luxurious quality. I adore ours, best mattress ever
What's wrong with "bed in a box" style as indicated in original post, please?

I'm my extensive research ten years ago I ended up with pocket sprung being best, with the more springs being better.
Im currently laying on my new mattress now. Ive just bought a king size DuraBeds Sicily 2000 and its the best mattress ive ever owned. Firmish but with a synthetic topper stitched in which is lovely to lay on and not hot like the foam ones. Tried it in a shop that was selling it for £699. Purchased it from different place online for £350 and delivery was 8 days later.
ArcadeAssassin03/03/2020 00:24

Purchased it from different place online for £350 and delivery was 8 days …Purchased it from different place online for £350 and delivery was 8 days later.

Which place did you get it from ? Looking for one of the same in a double
FayeCop02/03/2020 22:36

All i can say is stay away from anything containing gel or memory foam if …All i can say is stay away from anything containing gel or memory foam if you don’t like a hot bed. I’ve had a nightmare after buying one recently!

I agree with this. We got a memory foam mattress about 5 years ago. We now only have a 4.5 tog quilt all year round, and a window open. But we dont have the heating on as much, so saving on the bills
ArcadeAssassin03/03/2020 00:24

Im currently laying on my new mattress now. Ive just bought a king size …Im currently laying on my new mattress now. Ive just bought a king size DuraBeds Sicily 2000 and its the best mattress ive ever owned. Firmish but with a synthetic topper stitched in which is lovely to lay on and not hot like the foam ones. Tried it in a shop that was selling it for £699. Purchased it from different place online for £350 and delivery was 8 days later.

Hi, is it this one? furnituredirectuk.net/dur…tml
Also, I'm always cautious of reviews of mattresses that haven't been used mid to long term.
A lot of the negative reviews I've read about a variety of mattresses have a common theme, and that is the product was great in the first few weeks/months and then started developing faults (usually dips appearing where people have lain; a normal flat area between, despite rotation).
Hence if anyone has a recommendation for a mattress they've used in excess of 6 months, I would be grateful.

Thanks.
MadeDixonsCry03/03/2020 00:06

What's wrong with "bed in a box" style as indicated in original post, …What's wrong with "bed in a box" style as indicated in original post, please?I'm my extensive research ten years ago I ended up with pocket sprung being best, with the more springs being better.

I have a number of Simba mattresses.
They have inconsistencies. Some have turned out better than others after 1+ year of usage.
They are all a bit on the warm side and with winter receding, I want to change one of them now if I can.
From what I've read, the other brands are no better when it comes to the inconsistencies; dips appearing; memory foam making the bed too hot etc
Chasingthelight03/03/2020 07:38

Which place did you get it from ? Looking for one of the same in a double …Which place did you get it from ? Looking for one of the same in a double

DivanBaseDirect genuinely cant fault their service. They use their own courier as well and will deliver to room of choice for free.
Hypnos from furniture village the best mattresses you can buy imo you get what you pay for, stay well clear of the bed in a box variants
Uranus03/03/2020 09:33

Hi, is it this one? …Hi, is it this one? https://furnituredirectuk.net/dura-beds-sicily-2000-pocket-mattress.htmlAlso, I'm always cautious of reviews of mattresses that haven't been used mid to long term.A lot of the negative reviews I've read about a variety of mattresses have a common theme, and that is the product was great in the first few weeks/months and then started developing faults (usually dips appearing where people have lain; a normal flat area between, despite rotation).Hence if anyone has a recommendation for a mattress they've used in excess of 6 months, I would be grateful.Thanks.

Thats the one yes. Although i got it from DivanBaseDirect which was slightly cheaper.

PM me in 9 months and ill tell you how im getting on with it if you like.
the.porter03/03/2020 10:47

Hypnos from furniture village the best mattresses you can buy imo you get …Hypnos from furniture village the best mattresses you can buy imo you get what you pay for, stay well clear of the bed in a box variants

Is that a general observation? I ask because I don't want to spend more than about £600, and Hypnos starting prices are about 50% more.
Uranus03/03/2020 10:50

Is that a general observation? I ask because I don't want to spend more …Is that a general observation? I ask because I don't want to spend more than about £600, and Hypnos starting prices are about 50% more.

furniturevillage.co.uk/bes…ium
I have this one the super king and it’s the best mattress I have ever had
you Spend a lot of time in bed so don’t get a cheap one ,don’t forget to see if there is any codes knocking about and Quidco to bring it down honestly it’s the best bed I have ever had.
the.porter03/03/2020 10:56

https://www.furniturevillage.co.uk/bespoke-luxury-mattress/ZFRSP000000000042151.html?dwvar_ZFRSP000000000042151_size=4ft6&dwvar_ZFRSP000000000042151_tension=mediumI have this one the super king and it’s the best mattress I have ever had you Spend a lot of time in bed so don’t get a cheap one ,don’t forget to see if there is any codes knocking about and Quidco to bring it down honestly it’s the best bed I have ever had.

£1349 - so double my budget
How long have you had this mattress?
Edited by: "Uranus" 3rd Mar
premierinnbed.co.uk/
take a look here
they are worth it I assure you
4 years we bought the divan as well was £1700 all in 2 years interest free
£525 (Kingsize) for the Hypnos mattresses that are used in Premier Inns?
premierinnbed.co.uk/

That sounds like a good price to me. I've always found the premier inn beds to be comfortable.
That said, I note a comment on that page stating: "It comes in the colour and style shown on this page, which is very slightly different to the divans you’ll find in Premier Inn bedrooms."
If I remember rightly when the premier inn bed deal was posted on this site it was the pillow top as shown in the pics
I buy all my mattresses from Ikea. Buy a pocket sprung one.
Even the Hovag is decent enough. Buying cheaper allows you to replace more regularly which is better than spending a lot and then sleeping on an old ruined mattress believing you dont want to do it all again.

ikea.com/gb/…58/

ikea.com/gb/…96/
MadeDixonsCry03/03/2020 00:06

What's wrong with "bed in a box" style as indicated in original post, …What's wrong with "bed in a box" style as indicated in original post, please?I'm my extensive research ten years ago I ended up with pocket sprung being best, with the more springs being better.

Nothing I would say. They all do really well in Which? testing, with some being best buys last time I checked.

I went for Ikea's version (i.e. foam not pocket sprung), which also gets good reviews and is really cheap compared to sprung, about £250 for a superking iirc.

I love it, wouldn't go back to a mattress with springs now.
HottyHotty03/03/2020 11:55

Nothing I would say. They all do really well in Which? testing, with some …Nothing I would say. They all do really well in Which? testing, with some being best buys last time I checked. I went for Ikea's version (i.e. foam not pocket sprung), which also gets good reviews and is really cheap compared to sprung, about £250 for a superking iirc. I love it, wouldn't go back to a mattress with springs now.

I bought ikea's king pocket sprung for £229
MadeDixonsCry03/03/2020 12:17

I bought ikea's king pocket sprung for £229

Yeah I tried the equiv sprung ones just didn't rate them really, but that's the thing about mattresses, it's about the most individual thing you can buy. I know loads of people hate the bed in box style for example. Nothing for it but to try out yourself (which I think ikea is pretty good for due to the range).
I got a relyon mattress. Very firm and very comfy. £649 in the sale.

Very heavy and thick too. Love it.
Have a look on Vesgantti. They gave a prompt reply on the type of mattress I was looking for recently. They appear to know their stuff when it comes to mattresses, even though what they recommended was the opposite to what you might expect. Their prices are quite reasonable too.

vesgantti.co.uk/
LemonHead04/03/2020 00:27

Have a look on Vesgantti. They gave a prompt reply on the type of mattress …Have a look on Vesgantti. They gave a prompt reply on the type of mattress I was looking for recently. They appear to know their stuff when it comes to mattresses, even though what they recommended was the opposite to what you might expect. Their prices are quite reasonable too.https://vesgantti.co.uk/

Thanks for that.
I'm curious why those mattresses are so cheap.
For example, this king size one that appears to be their top model - it is just over £200. That can't be right surely?
vesgantti.co.uk/pro…500

EDIT: sorry this one seems the most expensive king size, and it is about £355, just doesn't sound right:
vesgantti.co.uk/pro…228
Edited by: "Uranus" 4th Mar
Uranus04/03/2020 10:27

Thanks for that.I'm curious why those mattresses are so cheap.For example, …Thanks for that.I'm curious why those mattresses are so cheap.For example, this king size one that appears to be their top model - it is just over £200. That can't be right surely?https://vesgantti.co.uk/products/hybrid-mattress-box-top-mattress-11-inch-height?variant=15467845222500EDIT: sorry this one seems the most expensive king size, and it is about £355, just doesn't sound right:https://vesgantti.co.uk/products/vesgantti-hybrid-upgraded-comfort-mattress-10-6-inch-pillow-top-mattress?variant=27459170992228

It's because they cut out the middle man and pass the savings on to their customer's.

One of my sister's recommend them. They were also on Dragons Den (apparently), so she tells me. Whether that makes a difference or not.

If you do order one, be careful when you open the box that they are packed in, and make sure to read the instructions on the box.

Because the mattress is packed tightly rolled up when you receive it, it can shut out very quickly when unpacking it and has been known to pin people against the wall where they are unpacking it.

This video might give you an idea what I mean.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 4th Mar
This might also help if you have any problems with any mattress you decide to purchase.

vesgantti.co.uk/pag…l-1
Useful video regarding that Vesgantti mattress.
I've decided not to progress in that direction, despite it seeming to be a bargain. Some of the issues reported in the video would impact me.

youtube.com/wat…Djg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants