MBP v Surface Laptop v Other

Posted 2nd Nov
Hi all,

This is going to sound lazy but it’s not, after some genuine advice. I used to be up on new tech and know what to get based on but what you can afford.

Well in 2011 it was the 17inch MBP which for 8 years has been amazing. Unfortunately it’s started playing up GPU I think as screen no longer works but does with external monitor. Anyway, appears after good service and value, time is up.

I’m no longer up on GPUs, Processors (& gens), Memory, etc hence thought I’d ask a smart community if any advice I can take that hasn’t been influenced by manufacturers paying reviewers.

My usage is pretty light but I want to a good match one that will last like my last has. HDD unconcerned so small SSD fine, screen size 15inch up, I do a bit of work in Lightroom and games-wise I would like to play Two Point Hospital/Civilization, that kind of demand as opposed to new triple A titles. I believe windows has caught up to OSX now (perhaps now leads), hence why I’m stuck deciding on laptop type. My head is scrambled so any assistance appreciated.

Budget isn’t really an issue so let’s say I expect to pay £1k to £2k.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
Both excellent devices, you've certainly got your moneys worth from it.

Would you miss mac os, have you used win 10?

HP Spectre X360 another contender, lovely screens too, dont think the intel 10th gen versions are out yet, but available with ryzen chips or nvidia 1050. Not familiar with MBpro machines.

Intel 10th gen chips are really decent, their built in GPUs are pretty capable too, not far off 1050 performance. All 10th gen support thunderbolt, although MS decided not to enable it for some reason.
Had the same issue myself.

Ended up with a MacBook again. Build is slightly more refined that surface laptop (although close).

Decided MacBook again because I have an iPhone and Mac so everything seamlessly works together.

And tbh was happy with the one that lasted 7 years for me.
Simba9203/11/2019 09:12

Had the same issue myself. Ended up with a MacBook again. Build is …Had the same issue myself. Ended up with a MacBook again. Build is slightly more refined that surface laptop (although close). Decided MacBook again because I have an iPhone and Mac so everything seamlessly works together. And tbh was happy with the one that lasted 7 years for me.

Hi, thanks for comment.

Yes I am fully in the Apple eco system too, but wanting a 15inch means £2300 start point from what I see. Want to ensure the premium is worth it.

Other than having photos seamlessly sync the other features don’t bother me enough to fork out over the odds.

So confused!!!!
jaydeeuk103/11/2019 08:59

Both excellent devices, you've certainly got your moneys worth from …Both excellent devices, you've certainly got your moneys worth from it.Would you miss mac os, have you used win 10? HP Spectre X360 another contender, lovely screens too, dont think the intel 10th gen versions are out yet, but available with ryzen chips or nvidia 1050. Not familiar with MBpro machines.Intel 10th gen chips are really decent, their built in GPUs are pretty capable too, not far off 1050 performance. All 10th gen support thunderbolt, although MS decided not to enable it for some reason.

Thank you, useful insights. I get lost on the hen 9s v 10s and the Koby Lakes (probably got that wrong sounding like a very old man) and everything else. Used to be up on it but beyond me now!!!

Never used w10 and unsure if I’d miss OS X, not convinced I do enough to miss it.

I just recall Windows machines were like a 2 year replace cycle and performance seems to degrade quite rapidly over time. Needed a fair amount of software maintenance to optimise and registry etc seemed over complex. OSX at the time was a revelation in simplification and has been bulletproof for me since day 1 until now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants