McAfee trial expires tomorrow

Posted 7th Jul 2020
Do I remove the program today, before it has chance to mess my PC up, and who should I use instead - it is so confusing and there are so many to choose from, I would prefer a free Antivirus deal, Any suggestions
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Windows 10? Use standard included OS protection. Optionally combine with decent browser and locker adblocker such as uBlock Origin.
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 7th Jul
AndyRoyd07/07/2020 11:00

Windows 10? Use standard included OS protection. Optionally combine with …Windows 10? Use standard included OS protection. Optionally combine with decent browser and locker such as uBlock Origin.

THIS.

WIndows Defender is the only main protection you need. Combo it up with Firefox (I guess Chrome but its on a slippery slop these days) with good addons such as Ublock Origin and a few others mentioned here too:

privacytools.io/bro…rs/

And.. Common sense

Job done
darthvader666uk07/07/2020 11:02

THIS.WIndows Defender is the only main protection you need. Combo it up …THIS.WIndows Defender is the only main protection you need. Combo it up with Firefox (I guess Chrome but its on a slippery slop these days) with good addons such as Ublock Origin and a few others mentioned here too:https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#addonsAnd.. Common sense Job done

I do have windows 10, so Why ? give a 30 day trial with a new PC that comes with Windows 10 ? I am confused ?
Do I remove McAfee then ? or just leave it where it is ? as I can see I will keep on getting pop-ups reminding me I have no Cover ? which I assume is scare tactics .
deleted11933
AndyRoyd07/07/2020 11:00

Windows 10? Use standard included OS protection. Optionally combine with …Windows 10? Use standard included OS protection. Optionally combine with decent browser and locker such as uBlock Origin.

Agreed. I haven't used any antivirus for over a decade and never had a problem. However I often see issues on relatives machines since they agree to installing anything
deleted11933
Satchmo07/07/2020 11:07

I do have windows 10, so Why ? give a 30 day trial with a new PC that …I do have windows 10, so Why ? give a 30 day trial with a new PC that comes with Windows 10 ? I am confused ?Do I remove McAfee then ? or just leave it where it is ? as I can see I will keep on getting pop-ups reminding me I have no Cover ? which I assume is scare tactics .

It comes with it as McAfee may even pay £1 for instance to have it installed on their machines. They are then strategically placed to worry you into purchases after a month.

Just uninstall it and watch your PC performance improve
It depends on your usage. If you're someone who just browses the web and only uses well known applications then Windows 10 Defender (which is built in and switches on once you remove any Anti-virus software) is more than adequate.

For me, I will use lesser known applications and occasionally browse unsecure websites so, I prefer to have a dedicated Anti-virus software. I have used Norton for many years and I love the peace of mind knowing it scans every single file I download from the internet. Top rated free Anti-virus will likely be a good option too.
Thanks for all your help, going to delete McAfee and rely on Windows defender , I knew I could rely on you all coming back with some common sense advice.
Corkscrew07/07/2020 11:15

It depends on your usage. If you're someone who just browses the web and …It depends on your usage. If you're someone who just browses the web and only uses well known applications then Windows 10 Defender (which is built in and switches on once you remove any Anti-virus software) is more than adequate.For me, I will use lesser known applications and occasionally browse unsecure websites so, I prefer to have a dedicated Anti-virus software. I have used Norton for many years and I love the peace of mind knowing it scans every single file I download from the internet. Top rated free Anti-virus will likely be a good option too.

No I am just a browser and email type of person, anything else is out of my league hence my question , which to some may be obvious, but Thanks for your reply
Anyone know if the cheap anti virus deals on ebay safe?
nisc107/07/2020 11:52

Anyone know if the cheap anti virus deals on ebay safe?

Most of the time they are. Just make sure the seller has a good reputation
Satchmo07/07/2020 11:16

No I am just a browser and email type of person, anything else is out of …No I am just a browser and email type of person, anything else is out of my league hence my question , which to some may be obvious, but Thanks for your reply

I think some broadband providers offer free virus protection. Perhaps check with yours? I know BT do.
Edited by: "daniellndn" 7th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text