McDonalds' Chicken Select - absolutely revolting

Found 8th Mar 2016
In an effort to dominate the fast food market even more than they already do and with an aim of wiping KFC of the face of the Earth, McDonald's now sell fried chicken in various new guises. They do wraps of the stuff (which I haven't tried) and also the "Chicken Selects", which I ate last night and are the subject of this discussion. Both of these new products give the illusion of more premium quality chicken compared to their nuggets and chicken patties served in the standard sandwiches. Of course they also have the chicken Legend too in an effort to compete with the colonel's fillet burger - but that's for another discussion.

Back to the Chicken Select then. I ordered the 5 piece meal but I wouldn't eat much of it. You can choose from a variety of sauces. Each one comes in a larger plastic pot than the standard sized ones they serve for dunking fries and nuggets in and this is to accommodate the larger dimensions of each Chicken Select.

So what on Earth is it? Coated in God knows what - much thicker than the stuff on the outside of a nugget and more crispy. It actually looks appealing at first - golden brown with darker specks of what I assume is oregano (just as they use in KFC), and not uniform in size and shape like a nugget - but more like a giant Nik Nak due to its long and nobbly design. This gives the illusion of premium chicken breast but don't let that fool you.

On the first bite I got a hit of paprika, salt, sugar (obligatory for anything from McDonald's), oregano, and possibly MSG (just as in KFC). But that coating. To thick, too hard and not very nice tasting. Once into the meat it was like eating a comedy rubber chicken. I had to stretch it more than I would have expected before it would break off between my teeth. The chicken itself surprisingly tastes like it's not been seasoned - in fact it didn't taste of anything. So now I discover why they serve the Chicken Select with such large dips - so that you won't notice the chicken within it is tasteless and also to mask the nasty taste of the outer coating.

The sauce was the meal's only saving grace. I opted for BBQ and it's different to their original BBQ sauce - it's spicier and lighter in colour, and less glupey. It tasted good with the fries.

£5.29 for the 5-piece meal. Hardly a hot deal. Anyone else tried it? If not - don't bother!
Community Updates
56 Comments
Cool story bro...
It's McDonalds... I don't know what you were expecting you get, what you get!

Last time I checked they had zero Michelin Stars.
Original Poster
jonnybravo99

Cool story bro...

They can get hukd in America now?
Original Poster
katchiib

It's McDonalds... I don't know what you were expecting you get, what you … It's McDonalds... I don't know what you were expecting you get, what you get!Last time I checked they had zero Michelin Stars.

I was expecting it to be as tasty as KFC. It wasn't. I was expecting the chicken to be of better quality than the stuff found in the nuggets - on the contrary - it seems worse.
reakt

They can get hukd in America now?

I think it was sarcasm
Banned
Its mcdonalds, cheap easy fast food? Not going to be organic gold fed chicken is it!? Its made Ronald mcdonald a very clever rich man. No one can 'remake' kfc cos apprently nobody knows the 5 spices!
Original Poster
goodideatom

I think it was sarcasm

as was mine
Never had an issue with chicken selects, but not a frequent McDonalds customer. They were much better quality than nuggets last time I had them!
Original Poster
ellese11

Its mcdonalds, cheap easy fast food? Not going to be organic gold fed … Its mcdonalds, cheap easy fast food? Not going to be organic gold fed chicken is it!? Its made Ronald mcdonald a very clever rich man. No one can 'remake' kfc cos apprently nobody knows the 5 spices!

Oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, MSG
McDonalds absolutely revolting
No one points a gun at you and makes you buy it. I don't mind the odd McDonalds and I actually enjoy it. That said the new table service being rolled out just takes the ****. The regular fatties who frequent McDonalds on a daily basis don't even have to burn the calories wobbling to and from the counter now, they get to order it from and delivered to the table.
I stopped reading at premium quality. It's McDonald's, just be grateful it's actual chicken.

thanks op, have updated my journal with the pertinent information
You pay for what you get. You can't book a £30 prozzie and expect Billie Piper.
Aiden1512

I stopped reading at premium quality. It's McDonald's, just be grateful … I stopped reading at premium quality. It's McDonald's, just be grateful it's actual chicken.

I would not be in a hurry to do any DNA tests on the "meat".
g8spur

You pay for what you get. You can't book a £30 prozzie and expect Billie … You pay for what you get. You can't book a £30 prozzie and expect Billie Piper.

But you wouldn't expect to get one that looks like Chris Evans. oO
Original Poster
Aiden1512

I stopped reading at premium quality. It's McDonald's, just be grateful … I stopped reading at premium quality. It's McDonald's, just be grateful it's actual chicken.

I stopped reading your comment at "I stopped reading at". (_;)
You're quoting me out of context - I said they're trying to give the illusion of premium quality. They're not fooling anybody, let alone someone as clever as yourself.
Edited by: "reakt" 8th Mar 2016
Well at least its not halal, for this reason KFC is a no no for me.
There is nothing premium in McDonalds, dont fool yourself by reading Corporate Advertising.

For what its worth, I wouldnt touch KFC, I do like McDonalds though but I wouldnt touch the chicken from there either.
Original Poster
brilly

thanks op, have updated my journal with the pertinent information

You're welcome
Edited by: "reakt" 8th Mar 2016
RonChew

Any port in a storm. oO
maybe if they opted for halal chicken, prob taste better
redmouse2

maybe if they opted for halal chicken, prob taste better

They wouldn't want to risk losing customers.
What the **** kanker did I just read?oO
wouldn't surprise me if it's from the same place all there other coated chicken is from and that's Thailand. the likes of asda and Iceland sell cheap coated chicken again all from Thailand, doesn't stop me eating it, it's just if they are quoting it as premium ask to see the box it came in where you will see its origin. I would expect premium to be at least EU and preferably the UK.
ellese11

Its mcdonalds, cheap easy fast food? Not going to be organic gold fed … Its mcdonalds, cheap easy fast food? Not going to be organic gold fed chicken is it!? Its made Ronald mcdonald a very clever rich man. No one can 'remake' kfc cos apprently nobody knows the 5 spices!

"nobody knows the 5 spices" or maybe nobody cares. Do you really believe all these claims of secret ingredients whether it be KFC, Iron Brew, CocaCola etc?:)
airfix

But isn't most chicken slaughtered in the UK halal? It's just that it's not all sold as halal.
RonChew

some would say that'd be a bargain ..

https://media.giphy.com/media/10yMCHwvCLxtni/giphy.gif
Banned
Thats what you think
RonChew

But isn't most chicken slaughtered in the UK halal? It's just that it's … But isn't most chicken slaughtered in the UK halal? It's just that it's not all sold as halal.

Most chickens are pre-stunned in the UK, whether they say a prayer afterwards or not is up to them.

taken from Mcdonalds-

McDonald's does not offer Halal-certified food. However, in 2010 an investigation determined that some chicken entered McDonald's supply which had been subject to some additional Halal procedures, namely a religious blessing and minor changes to handling procedures which did not in any way change the method of slaughter or compromise our high animal welfare standards. These changes were not specified or accepted by McDonald's and additional checks have been introduced to ensure this mistake is not repeated.
Edited by: "airfix" 8th Mar 2016
If you think McDonalds is bad don't go anywhere near Burger King. I've never tasted anything so horrid in my life. The staff actually look embarrassed serving it to you.
never seen a chicken them things lol
If I went to a fast food outlet and didn't enjoy the food, I simply wouldn't go again. It's as simple as that, and I'm not sure what you hoped to achieve by informing the world via the internet.:|
airfix

Most chickens are pre-stunned in the UK, whether they say a prayer … Most chickens are pre-stunned in the UK, whether they say a prayer afterwards or not is up to them.

oO Chickens pray?

I never knew that.

X)

If I wanted chicken that tasted like the chicken they do at KFC then I'd do to KFC...
Chicken Select Meals are not new, I've been eating them for years.

OP, when does your KFC marketing internship finish?
I do prefer the chicken from KFC but hate eating there. Always dirty tables and floor. If they don't keep it clean where the customers eat I hate to think about what we cant see... McDonald's is always spotless and I love the chips!
reakt

I stopped reading your comment at "I stopped reading at". (_;)You're … I stopped reading your comment at "I stopped reading at". (_;)You're quoting me out of context - I said they're trying to give the illusion of premium quality. They're not fooling anybody, let alone someone as clever as yourself.

You're the one who bought it So you obviously must have thought there would be some truth to them being premium quality else you wouldn't have tried them.

And thanks for the compliment
airfix

I thought it was only halal in selected stores?
Original Poster
Oneday77

Chicken Select Meals are not new, I've been eating them for years.OP, … Chicken Select Meals are not new, I've been eating them for years.OP, when does your KFC marketing internship finish?

The first statement contradicts the second. a) I'm not a frequent eater of any fast food, hence why I'd never heard of a Chicken Select (in any case does that mean I'm not allowed to discuss it then if it's not new?). If I worked for KFC you'd think I'd be more familiar with the menu of its competitors. b) As I say I don't eat much fast food - don't go to KFC either - just remembered the chicken was better (although you have to wait far longer to be fed, and as somebody else wrote their hygiene and cleanliness leaves much to be desired!).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions