McDonald's closing by 7pm tomorrow - all restaurants

Posted 22nd Mar
Just seen this announced here
3426380-j0TK5.jpg"See you soon.

We have taken the difficult decision to close all McDonald's restaurants in the UK and Ireland by 7pm on Monday 23rd March at the latest.

This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interests of our customers.

We will work with local community groups to responsibly distribute food and drink from our restaurants in the coming days.

Thank you to our brilliant employees for their hard work during this incredibly challenging time.

We look forward to seeing you all again as soon as it is safe for us to reopen."
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
That's it, that's the end of the world officially started!
Shame that Timpsons have shut, mate works there and was convinced he's a key worker.
??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is happening. Amazing!
andrewworrall122/03/2020 21:12

Maybe McDonald's decided to close all restaurants in the spur of the …Maybe McDonald's decided to close all restaurants in the spur of the moment but it's definitely concerning that you got no notification, other than seeing it talked about online.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they have been approached and asked by government.

We have been told an 18 year has died today, now MaccyDs is closing, they are really trying to ram it home to the young that no one is safe and it will only escalate from here.

I hope the staff have job security and wages during this time and that a multinational company can look after its staff rather than leave it up to the franchisees.

Stay safe everyone, this is a long and bumpy road.
73 Comments
Now I’m worried.
That's it, that's the end of the world officially started!
Is this cause they sell coke and not Pepsi @andrewworrall1
Ivor-NoReasonToCare22/03/2020 21:07

Is this cause they sell coke and not Pepsi @andrewworrall1

That has to play a part in why they're closing!

Joking aside though I really hope the McDonald's staff will still get paid and have their jobs safe for when McDonald's opens again.
??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is happening. Amazing!
ScotIand22/03/2020 21:09

??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is …??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is happening. Amazing!

They didn't send you an email or a letter in advance?
Good riddance
andrewworrall122/03/2020 21:09

They didn't send you an email or a letter in advance?

Nope, nothing! Nothing on the employee and rota websites either! Hahahaha.
Just had a wrap lol. Order latte in min. Shame= love wrap of day (esp. Bacon) Can't be enough customers with revellers/tourists/office workers absent.
ScotIand22/03/2020 21:10

Nope, nothing! Nothing on the employee and rota websites either! Hahahaha.

Maybe McDonald's decided to close all restaurants in the spur of the moment but it's definitely concerning that you got no notification, other than seeing it talked about online.
Maybe they are still delivering food via the likes of ubereats thus still require staff but just closing it for customers to come to the premises to buy food indoors to takeaway or through drive thru...
This won’t end well tomorrow. Be careful out there in the Drive-Thru...

40164913-8JNZj.jpg

Maybe McDonald's decided to close all restaurants in the spur of the …Maybe McDonald's decided to close all restaurants in the spur of the moment but it's definitely concerning that you got no notification, other than seeing it talked about online.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they have been approached and asked by government.

We have been told an 18 year has died today, now MaccyDs is closing, they are really trying to ram it home to the young that no one is safe and it will only escalate from here.

I hope the staff have job security and wages during this time and that a multinational company can look after its staff rather than leave it up to the franchisees.

Stay safe everyone, this is a long and bumpy road.
save-me-money22/03/2020 21:14

Maybe they are still delivering food via the likes of ubereats thus still …Maybe they are still delivering food via the likes of ubereats thus still require staff but just closing it for customers to come to the premises to buy food indoors to takeaway or through drive thru...

I doubt it. The previous announcement was take away, delivery and drive thru only and that is not mentioned in the latest announcement
ScotIand22/03/2020 21:09

??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is …??? I work in McDonald's and I find out from a post on here this is happening. Amazing!

Terrible isn’t it, I’ve been reading on their Facebook post and apparently the business managers have only just found out too and not all of them got it out to the rest of the employees before they posted.
save-me-money22/03/2020 21:14

Maybe they are still delivering food via the likes of ubereats thus still …Maybe they are still delivering food via the likes of ubereats thus still require staff but just closing it for customers to come to the premises to buy food indoors to takeaway or through drive thru...

It's a complete shut down no deliveries no drive thrus nothing
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STRAND London said closing tmw 7pm so they aware

Meander wont be same
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 22nd Mar
Would have thaught Mcdonalds would stay open for the Front line night workers,
I’m guessing they wouldn’t have taken this decision had the government not offered a wages protection scheme
Does seem a bit odd.
Can easily be made so no contact with public by drive though.

Contactles payments only and leave food for customer to pick up at collection window instead of handing it to them.
Strange strange decision. Like others said. Lots of front line workers use Macdonalds. Drive thrus are prefect for this new world
First they take away Monopoly, now no McDonald's completely I'm definitely going to try and order some McDonald's Uber Eats before McDonald's closed, will try to get a meal this evening and some breakfast too.
I thought McDonalds were franchises which makes perfect sense to shut. McDonalds group will make a loss on supplying food.
jamie1522/03/2020 22:02

First they take away Monopoly, now no McDonald's completely I'm …First they take away Monopoly, now no McDonald's completely I'm definitely going to try and order some McDonald's Uber Eats before McDonald's closed, will try to get a meal this evening and some breakfast too.

I'm definitely going to try and get a meal tomorrow as well. How long do you think McDonald's will close for just if you had to guess?
andrewworrall122/03/2020 22:06

I'm definitely going to try and get a meal tomorrow as well. How long do …I'm definitely going to try and get a meal tomorrow as well. How long do you think McDonald's will close for just if you had to guess?

I’m guessing the government want a lockdown and are slowly shutting down all shops. So on a theory of what has been said 3 months minimum
ndyanem22/03/2020 22:09

I’m guessing the government want a lockdown and are slowly shutting down a …I’m guessing the government want a lockdown and are slowly shutting down all shops. So on a theory of what has been said 3 months minimum

Maybe the Government dont want kids accumulating a fast food restaurants?
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 22:11

Maybe the Government dont want kids accumulating a fast food restaurants?

It’s not just McDonald’s though. Ikea, John Lewis, primark, Lakeland, small independent shops. There all shutting shop
ndyanem22/03/2020 22:13

It’s not just McDonald’s though. Ikea, John Lewis, primark, Lakeland, sma …It’s not just McDonald’s though. Ikea, John Lewis, primark, Lakeland, small independent shops. There all shutting shop

Yes. But they haven't got the footfall. McDonalds is where kids will accumulate as they are now off school & if they don't have to isolate they maybe hanging around. Most kids do not listen or will bend the rules.
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 22:17

Yes. But they haven't got the footfall. McDonalds is where kids will …Yes. But they haven't got the footfall. McDonalds is where kids will accumulate as they are now off school & if they don't have to isolate they maybe hanging around. Most kids do not listen or will bend the rules.

Most adults aren’t listening either.......
I guess KFC. Rip seeing my ex for drive thru night. Last night was the last I guess. Lock down is coming and it can’t happen soon enough from useless bojo
andrewworrall122/03/2020 22:06

I'm definitely going to try and get a meal tomorrow as well. How long do …I'm definitely going to try and get a meal tomorrow as well. How long do you think McDonald's will close for just if you had to guess?

No clue. Until this pandemic is over, and predicting that is something I am certainly not qualified for.
More beef & chicken on the shelves of supermarkets
MonkeysUncle22/03/2020 21:51

Does seem a bit odd.Can easily be made so no contact with public by drive …Does seem a bit odd.Can easily be made so no contact with public by drive though. Contactles payments only and leave food for customer to pick up at collection window instead of handing it to them.

I think what they want is young people completely off the streets, there was a suggestion earlier that perhaps the government had asked them to close to help with this. I'm sure that a closure of all fast food outlets of this type is coming soon anyway.
Every local McD has been deserted since they went takeaway only, so it's just a sound business decision now they don't have to pay staff or lay them off while they're shut down. Government subsiding big business as usual.
ndyanem22/03/2020 22:21

Most adults aren’t listening either.......

I know but we cannot ignore one because of the other. Tougher restrictions will follow
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 22:34

I know but we cannot ignore one because of the other. Tougher restrictions …I know but we cannot ignore one because of the other. Tougher restrictions will follow

Look we all know the country is set for lockdown, letting the companies go on their ‘own choice’ makes the uk favour them. However we all know there are being forced. The army are already heavily involved, people are being ask to come out of retirement. We aren’t far behind Italy devastation, and I’m pretty sure even with all the restrictions death rate will still saw very very high. This is just the beginning ..
ndyanem22/03/2020 22:38

The army are already heavily involved

Where is that then?
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 22:42

Where is that then?

There all in logistics already, helping pharmacy’s get supplies out is one I’m aware of
andrewworrall122/03/2020 21:08

That has to play a part in why they're closing!Joking aside though I …That has to play a part in why they're closing!Joking aside though I really hope the McDonald's staff will still get paid and have their jobs safe for when McDonald's opens again.

I work at McDonald’s and they are not going to pay me as on zero hour contact. Can I get any benefits or anything?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants