McDonald’s closing / can I still get paid?

Posted 22nd Mar
Hi

As most of you will be aware McDonald’s announced will be closing tomorrow. I work for them on a zero hour contract but get plenty of work every week. McDonald’s are not going to pay us. Can I get any Benefits or anything? I’m not been up to date with the news heard some funding is available. Any help / advice much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Original poster I wish you well mate.
Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of jobs available
16 Comments
Ring universal credit tomorrow
If they keep you under contact then the government will pay 80% of your wage for so long, you should qualify for Universal Credit too I believe
Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of jobs available
it is not very good of the chain to shut its doors without explaining to staff what will happen to them! if they continue to employ you then they can claim assistance from the government to help pay 80% of your salary but it is not clear for people on zero hour contract and it seems to state that there will be more information for people on zero hour contract in the link below. have you asked your employer? you can certainly claim benefits.

gov.uk/gov…ees

zero hour contract
metro.co.uk/202…96/
Edited by: "mutley1" 22nd Mar
"McDonald's employs around 135,000 people in the UK, the majority of which are on zero-hours contracts.

The chain said staff employed directly by the company would receive full pay for their scheduled hours until 5 April.

By that time it expects the government's financial aid package, announced on Friday, to have kicked in, with staff paid 80% of their wages.

A spokeswoman told the BBC she expected McDonald's franchises, which decide their own pay policies, to follow suit."

Source: BBC
Edited by: "Eden0032" 22nd Mar
Chiptivo22/03/2020 23:06

Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of …Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of jobs available

Might be short term but there are thousands of supermarket jobs going as well as in logistics & transport & warehousing & NHS & care homes & private sector care.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 22nd Mar
Eden003222/03/2020 23:16

"McDonald's employs around 135,000 people in the UK, the majority of which …"McDonald's employs around 135,000 people in the UK, the majority of which are on zero-hours contracts.The chain said staff employed directly by the company would receive full pay for their scheduled hours until 5 April.By that time it expects the government's financial aid package, announced on Friday, to have kicked in, with staff paid 80% of their wages.A spokeswoman told the BBC she expected McDonald's franchises, which decide their own pay policies, to follow suit."Source: BBC

they could have at least told their employees as well as the BBC!
mutley122/03/2020 23:34

they could have at least told their employees as well as the BBC!

Or we could just make stuff up!

Mutley please be more responsible rather than scare people to death using false information. Please mate, come on.
Chiptivo22/03/2020 23:06

Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of …Also plenty of supermarkets are taking on at the moment. Like thousands of jobs available

that's really good to hear. ironically, the spike in demand from the supermarkets is helping people who have lost their jobs in other industry.
mutley122/03/2020 23:36

that's really good to hear. ironically, the spike in demand from the …that's really good to hear. ironically, the spike in demand from the supermarkets is helping people who have lost their jobs in other industry.

Tbh I think retail will catch up rapidly. Apply for care work etc. Its obvious we will have enforced social movement and interaction soon as folks still go out acting as normal.

If it's a good thing or not is up for debate.
The virus won't go away until you catch it and recover or there's a vacine.

The danger is delaying the spreading until next winter. It seems just like buying time from government.
Edited by: "MonkeysUncle" 23rd Mar
Original poster I wish you well mate.
MonkeysUncle23/03/2020 01:22

Tbh I think retail will catch up rapidly. Apply for care work etc. Its …Tbh I think retail will catch up rapidly. Apply for care work etc. Its obvious we will have enforced social movement and interaction soon as folks still go out acting as normal.If it's a good thing or not is up for debate.The virus won't go away until you catch it and recover or there's a vacine. The danger is delaying the spreading until next winter. It seems just like buying time from government.

You need to be dbs checked or whatever they call it now to work in care and this can take anything from 4 weeks upwards to get. If lots apply it will take longer.....

i work in this sector, I will be expected to carry on going to work when others can sit at home on 80% wage... I know which I would rather do...
Willy_Wonka22/03/2020 23:35

Or we could just make stuff up!Mutley please be more responsible rather …Or we could just make stuff up!Mutley please be more responsible rather than scare people to death using false information. Please mate, come on.

to be fair that statement from McDonald’s about their pay pretty much doesn’t apply to most restaurant workers, that last line gives it away “A spokeswoman told the BBC she expected McDonald's franchises, which decide their own pay policies, to follow suit."

about 83% of McDonald’s stores are franchises, from their website that’s 1100 out of 1370 so decide their own pay which hopefully mirrors the staff at head office and their few owned restaurants but who knows?

Could you call call your boss and ask what they have in place if they are following what McDonald’s have said?
MonkeysUncle23/03/2020 01:22

Tbh I think retail will catch up rapidly. Apply for care work etc. Its …Tbh I think retail will catch up rapidly. Apply for care work etc. Its obvious we will have enforced social movement and interaction soon as folks still go out acting as normal.If it's a good thing or not is up for debate.The virus won't go away until you catch it and recover or there's a vacine. The danger is delaying the spreading until next winter. It seems just like buying time from government.

i think the demand at the supermarkets will continue as we go into more restricted movement as home deliveries will continue to rise and people will need more food at home if they are restricted on going out. vulnerable people are also going to get help with food deliveries, like the 1.5m vulnerable right now. as long as this virus is around, there is a key role for the food chain to keep supply going.

care work is a very hard job and not everyone will be able to do, working for the supermarket is easier.
Dannyrobbo23/03/2020 06:54

to be fair that statement from McDonald’s about their pay pretty much d …to be fair that statement from McDonald’s about their pay pretty much doesn’t apply to most restaurant workers, that last line gives it away “A spokeswoman told the BBC she expected McDonald's franchises, which decide their own pay policies, to follow suit." about 83% of McDonald’s stores are franchises, from their website that’s 1100 out of 1370 so decide their own pay which hopefully mirrors the staff at head office and their few owned restaurants but who knows?Could you call call your boss and ask what they have in place if they are following what McDonald’s have said?

the franchise may not follow suit as unlike macdonalds they are small businesses and don't have the wallet to retain staff even with government aid. hope they do for the OP's sake but there is the benefits to claim on or the supermarket jobs to apply for.
just remember that uk employment law does not recognise 0 hours contracts, your terms are what you have worked for the last 3 months so be sure to get/keep your payslips etc in case they are needed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants