Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Meat delivery temperature

Posted 13th Feb
Hi, I’ve just had my supermarket shop delivered and some of the meat (mostly chicken) seemed a bit warm to me. I placed a thermometer in it and the temperature was 8c. I did google and some things say 8c is the highest you should be ok with and some things say 5c. Does anyone here know what temperature chicken in particular should not go above. I should really know this at my age 😬
Thanks.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

18 Comments
I would make a complaint . And tell them you binned it as you didn't want to take the chance (here in Scotland it's pretty cold ) so we don't really have that trouble lately
I normally shop myself and make sure it’s well stored cold in my car. I’m so paranoid about food safety. I have since phoned them and they told me if it’s 8c it’s fine but if it was 9c it’d need to be thrown away. I think I’ll stick to instore shopping from now :/
dezbo888813/02/2020 16:08

I would make a complaint . And tell them you binned it as you didn't want …I would make a complaint . And tell them you binned it as you didn't want to take the chance (here in Scotland it's pretty cold ) so we don't really have that trouble lately

FSA advises 8c-60c is the ‘danger zone’
Thanks for that! I think I will bin it all it’s probably all fine but I’m too paranoid to eat it.
winzzz13/02/2020 16:20

FSA advises 8c-60c is the ‘danger zone’

Put a complaint in and ask for a refund for that item
Justify13/02/2020 16:32

Thanks for that! I think I will bin it all it’s probably all fine but I …Thanks for that! I think I will bin it all it’s probably all fine but I’m too paranoid to eat it.

The supermarket will tell you anything to not refund, just say it was warm and you want a refund.
You shouldn't tell them you checked temperature etc.. just say it was warm
Justify13/02/2020 16:32

Thanks for that! I think I will bin it all it’s probably all fine but I …Thanks for that! I think I will bin it all it’s probably all fine but I’m too paranoid to eat it.

Yeah request a refund . It might have been hotter in transit .
I wouldn't worry about it, at 8 deg C for a short while, say up to 2 hours.

Additionally, I would bring meat to room temperature during preparation for cooking (at up to 2 hours).

Edit: added this as extra advice

39899139-liFjH.jpg
Edited by: "splender" 13th Feb
I'm guessing it's raw and you're planning on cooking it?
splender13/02/2020 17:06

I wouldn't worry about it, at 8 deg C for a short while, say up to 2 …I wouldn't worry about it, at 8 deg C for a short while, say up to 2 hours.Additionally, I would bring meat to room temperature during preparation for cooking (at up to 2 hours).Edit: added this as extra advice[Image]

Wow the danger zone in Australia is from 5c. I wonder why the UK’s is 8c.
Thanks for this, very helpful for me to keep.
Justify13/02/2020 21:18

Wow the danger zone in Australia is from 5c. I wonder why the UK’s is 8 …Wow the danger zone in Australia is from 5c. I wonder why the UK’s is 8c.Thanks for this, very helpful for me to keep.

Every country has different rules
nadhaw13/02/2020 20:15

I'm guessing it's raw and you're planning on cooking it?

Yes it was raw. I decided to bin it all :/
Justify13/02/2020 21:18

Wow the danger zone in Australia is from 5c. I wonder why the UK’s is 8 …Wow the danger zone in Australia is from 5c. I wonder why the UK’s is 8c.Thanks for this, very helpful for me to keep.

Maybe we are cooler in UK, plus that 8 deg C is a more practical compromise for short journeys in a car, van when delivering than it is at 5 deg C, also, when mixing shopping items in a bag at different tempeatures.
Just a bit of advice, when checking temperatures of products it's always best to check items that will be eaten straight away ie yoghurts or ham, rather than meat. This is because any bacteria grown due to high temp will still be consumed if eaten straight away, whereas something that's cooked will destroy the majority of the bacteria anyway (within reason of course)
In my opinion nothing to worry about, I think if it's cooked it will be ok.
Bit like the do not re-freeze advice, never done me any harm. And, some things you buy in supermarkets 'fresh' have been frozen and can be frozen again.
It'll be fine. Think of the many people who transport their own shopping home over long journeys and what temp the food gets to by the time it gets to your fridge...

I really don't think it merits any kind of complaint, that's OTT.
moob14/02/2020 13:34

It'll be fine. Think of the many people who transport their own shopping …It'll be fine. Think of the many people who transport their own shopping home over long journeys and what temp the food gets to by the time it gets to your fridge...I really don't think it merits any kind of complaint, that's OTT.

I am extremely paranoid about meat temps and always check what I cook.
However, storing meat at a certain temp for bacteria growth is precisely that (storing it). The issue you have is that you are unaware of the temp it was stored at for the previous days / hours. (but that is the same for any meat you buy).
Realistically it has just crept up a little bit and has been in the danger zone for an hour (not 24 hours). I used to drive home in Australia with food in a boiling car when air con failed. The ice cream was melting and no doubt the meat temp would have risen. It was all still eaten days later as per the date on the packet.
smashed14/02/2020 13:44

I am extremely paranoid about meat temps and always check what I …I am extremely paranoid about meat temps and always check what I cook.However, storing meat at a certain temp for bacteria growth is precisely that (storing it). The issue you have is that you are unaware of the temp it was stored at for the previous days / hours. (but that is the same for any meat you buy).Realistically it has just crept up a little bit and has been in the danger zone for an hour (not 24 hours). I used to drive home in Australia with food in a boiling car when air con failed. The ice cream was melting and no doubt the meat temp would have risen. It was all still eaten days later as per the date on the packet.

These vans will never manage to uphold the required temperature. The item is picked, bagged then boxed etc - transport units won't ever achieve anything like 5oC due to the frequency of stop/start journeys and opening of doors. Alowances are made for these situations and built-in to the durability indication on the product. The OP has just thrown out good food.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants