Mechanic advise please

Posted 3rd May
Hi everyone

Need abit of advice as I don't know much about cars myself.

My partners 2009 Honda civic 2.2 diesel clutch started slipping about 2 month ago. I left it in with a local mechanic and he said yes the clutch is slipping and needs changed. . He said the flywheel isn't that damaged and is OK.

After the new Clutch was fitted no more slipping etc but noticed gearbox was quite stiff at times changing gears. He said after a while the gearbox will loosen up. Which it has abit but changing gears at times still is quite stiff at times. Also there is Alot of vibration from the clutch pedal.

He said its possible it was a faulty clutch. So he replaced it with a new one. Vibration was away from the clutch pedal for about one week and now its back again. No noise or smell just vibration.
Also again at times the gearbox is still hard to get into gears when driving at sometimes.she's done about 1000 miles from the new clutch. I asked my partner was the gearbox like that before it was left in and she said she wasn't sure she can't remember.
Does this sound like the flywheel needing replaced with the vibration? Also can a bad flywheel cause stiff gear change?any advice will be appreciated as I don't know much about cars at All. Thank you very much
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
What mileage has the car done in total, are all the gears hard to select? Google 'double de-clutching' and try it to see if it helps, could be a faulty gearbox or a simple gear stick linkage connector needs greasing.
Do you trust the mechanic who fitted the new clutch to actually also have replaced the clutch pressure plate or just the clutch plate itself like some dodgy garages do!
My clutch went on my 2006 focus last month , scrapped it as the fly shell prob needed doing also , with a car this age best to replace and get rid as it gets to a point where you paying more on repairs than the cars worth
Edited by: "ashmac" 3rd May
PaulandPam03/05/2020 11:49

What mileage has the car done in total, are all the gears hard to select? …What mileage has the car done in total, are all the gears hard to select? Google 'double de-clutching' and try it to see if it helps, could be a faulty gearbox or a simple gear stick linkage connector needs greasing.Do you trust the mechanic who fitted the new clutch to actually also have replaced the clutch pressure plate or just the clutch plate itself like some dodgy garages do!

Hi

There's 115000 miles on it. It does seem to be all the gears to be honest. Even reverse sometimes.

Strange as sometimes they select fine then sometimes they are stiff.
I was thinking the same about the mechanic but iv used him for a few of my cars before and never any issues with him. Tried the double clutching and still the same.

Would changing the mtf help it?
Hmmm...I'd say it was a dodgy install of the clutch plate, but it's happened twice now. Did he replace the throwout bearing? That might be causing the issue. Otherwise it might be an issue with the flywheel itself.
Not long had my cars clutch and dmf changed, Needed changing at 105k

Did they change the slave cylinder ?

Mine was vibrating a lot and struggled to change gear, The slave cylinder had disintegrated.
When you say vibrating through clutch pedal is it on pull off ? If he hasn't centralised the clutch properly it causes vibration on pull of and sometimes changing gear, could also be the slave cylinder. my flywheel went before my clutch and it started off with a slight repetitive banging/grinding noise like something was moving around while the car was running over time this become louder/worse and the occasionally my gears were crunching until adventually it become every gear change.
I changed the clutch and flywheel myself at a cost of 379 but if your paying a garage it will cost around 600 if its like my old car you had to remove sub frame and release the steering rack, was a nightmare job then when i put gearbox back in i accidentally damaged my gear cables struggling as it was so heavy, so had to replace those too.
If your mechanic was decent he would drive it and know whats wrong
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 3rd May
All I know was he changed the clutch twice. I really don't know much about motors but I trust the mechanic as he has done work for me in the past.
When I hover my foot above the clutch its vibrating. When I press the clutch down about three quarters it's still vibrating. When full pressed down no vibrating.
Hope that helps
Edited by: "wannelly" 3rd May
Wondering should I take a chance and replace the flywheel. Seem to quite expensive looking at euro parts.

Seen this on ebay. Would you guys know if this looks OK?

ebay.co.uk/itm…657

I appreciate all your comments also
wannelly03/05/2020 13:08

Wondering should I take a chance and replace the flywheel. Seem to quite …Wondering should I take a chance and replace the flywheel. Seem to quite expensive looking at euro parts. Seen this on ebay. Would you guys know if this looks OK? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124162937657I appreciate all your comments also

I wouldn't bother with used tbh

Sadly they're expensive, Cost me a fortune for mine. However I'd recommend Valeo, Sachs or Luk any other brand could be hit and miss.

From the symptoms it does sound like flywheel might be gone or maybe the slave cyclinder, sometimes called thrust bearing, throw out bearing etc..
Edited by: ".MUFC." 3rd May
Mark can I ask what that knock noise was like. I could swear I heard something knock about yday when I drove it then went away. Thought it was something in her boot. Il have to inspect this when she's gets back from work
Edited by: "wannelly" 3rd May
.MUFC.03/05/2020 13:16

I wouldn't bother with used tbhSadly they're expensive, Cost me a fortune …I wouldn't bother with used tbhSadly they're expensive, Cost me a fortune for mine. However I'd recommend Valeo, Sachs or Luk and other brand could be hit and miss.From the symptoms it does sound like flywheel might be gone or maybe the slave cyclinder, sometimes called thrust bearing, throw out bearing etc..

That one on ebay seems to be valeo but il take your advice buying used.
wannelly03/05/2020 13:21

That one on ebay seems to be valeo but il take your advice buying used.

If I was fitting it myself I'd probably take a gamble but it could fail and you'd be back to square one etc..
Known issue on the Civic Diesel he should have changed the fywheel and used the updated clutch kit I think its the 525 one.

First thing to try is changing the gearbox and clutch fluid.

More info over at civinfo.com
Thank u very much guys. Really appreciate your time today
I'd also get him to check the gearshift linkage. Could easily be that something has slipped slightly or a bush could have failed.
Could that cause the vibration in the clutch also?
Thanks
wannelly03/05/2020 14:44

Could that cause the vibration in the clutch also?Thanks

I certainly wouldn't have thought so, However it's still worth checking.
My best guess is the thrust bearing ! Difficult with out seeing it
How is the gear changes without the engine running or pressing the clutch? Ie just sitting in car and try without driving? If still stiff then it’s an issue with the linkages if it’s all ok then it’s clutch not fully engaging.
Hi there

Tried that without the car running and no clutch in and the gears are still stiff.
Thank u for that info
Just a we update.

Took the car to a different mechanic. Changed the transmission fluid yesterday and what a difference it has made. A hell of Alot better than it was. Nice and smooth gear changes now. I also asked him about the clutch vibration. He said more than likely its the flywheel but to be sure he would need to take things apart etc. He said there wasn't much need to check as the flywheel would last a very long time anyway. He said it didn't feel that bad.

Thanks everyone for your help.
wannelly22/05/2020 09:57

Just a we update.Took the car to a different mechanic. Changed the …Just a we update.Took the car to a different mechanic. Changed the transmission fluid yesterday and what a difference it has made. A hell of Alot better than it was. Nice and smooth gear changes now. I also asked him about the clutch vibration. He said more than likely its the flywheel but to be sure he would need to take things apart etc. He said there wasn't much need to check as the flywheel would last a very long time anyway. He said it didn't feel that bad.Thanks everyone for your help.

I wonder if the original mechanic has used the wrong gearbox oil.
Would he have needed to change the gearbox oil when changing the clutch? As I didn't ask him to change it.
wannelly22/05/2020 10:48

Would he have needed to change the gearbox oil when changing the clutch? …Would he have needed to change the gearbox oil when changing the clutch? As I didn't ask him to change it.

I've no experience with a Civic but on some cars, when removing the gearbox to get at the clutch, you lose quite a lot of the gearbox oil so you have to remember to top it up afterwards. If your original mechanic didn't, or he used the wrong oil, that would explain the stiff, difficult gear changes.
I asked him about 2 weeks ago would it make any difference to the gearbox if we went ahead and changed the gearbox fluid. He said no it wouldn't make any difference. That swayed it for me to sling him and use somebody else. So glad I did now. Defo think iv found a genuine guy. Only round the corner from me also. Paid £30 for the fluid online. He charged £30 to replace it.
wannelly22/05/2020 11:10

I asked him about 2 weeks ago would it make any difference to the gearbox …I asked him about 2 weeks ago would it make any difference to the gearbox if we went ahead and changed the gearbox fluid. He said no it wouldn't make any difference. That swayed it for me to sling him and use somebody else. So glad I did now. Defo think iv found a genuine guy. Only round the corner from me also. Paid £30 for the fluid online. He charged £30 to replace it.

Yes, from what he's said and charged you, I would say your new mechanic is a much more knowledgable, genuine guy.
Stick with him!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions