Mechanic HDD noise from a laptop with SSD?

Found 31st Jan 2015
Hi,

I recently bought a Dell e7240 laptop with an SSD harddisk. It's really nice, little and high performance computer (at least for me).

The problem is it's making noises like a mechanical HDD - the type of noise when loading from the hdd, disk spinning/stopping..."intermittent buzzing" might be a suitable description...Tried recording it but the phone didn't pick up...

As far as I can understand it comes from the left side of the laptop and looking at the disassembling videos on youtube - there is fan and memory visible there. As far as I know SSD/ram/processor doesn't have any moving parts - should be completely quite...Also the HDD light is not on when it's making the noise.

I started a game with some graphics and the fan turns on automatically and definitely the noise from the fan is nothing like the one I mentioned. The fan seems like has 3 levels, normal, mid and high! I tried listening very carefully and the buzzing noise stops when the fan is high, starts back when it's mid or normal...

Not sure if these make any sense but please let me know what you think if you've heard something like this or experienced similar issue.

thanks in advance.

17 Comments

you sure its got an SSD ? sorry but I have to ask...take it out and have a look....

once you confirm it's a ssd, try to boot with it removed... what noise do you hear now..

just some suggestions.

oh and its its got a monster graphics card, sometimes they have fans too.

just checked spec on web and majority of these have SSD...so please don't take offence at my suggestion.

I would still not negate that there may be more than one fan inside..

Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions topbloke.
I've just checked it again and it says "SAMSUNG SSD PM851 mSATA 128GB"

With regards to the graphics card it's got Intel HD - not so monster i guess - but even then I doubt it's a fan noise. too intermittent... but thanks again.

topbloke

you sure its got an SSD ? sorry but I have to ask...take it out and have … you sure its got an SSD ? sorry but I have to ask...take it out and have a look....once you confirm it's a ssd, try to boot with it removed... what noise do you hear now..just some suggestions.

Edited by: "timarli" 31st Jan 2015

Are you sure it isn't the cd drive

Original Poster

barrel24

Are you sure it isn't the cd drive

thanks barrel24. the laptop doesn't have a cd drive. the noise is not as high as a cd drive...loads of buzzing - like a mechanical hdd writing/reading a file...so confused.

the guys at dell don't provide support as I don't know the first owner! not sure what to do...

noisy fan bearing?

Static? Have you tried disabling the audio device.

If you think its the fan. Download speed fan and set a custom profile. Silence the fan then increase the speed to see if you hear the noise.

If still no joy and you do end up taking it apart (unless you live with it) you may as well change the thermal compound while you are there and give it a clean.

Original Poster

urbanaardvark

noisy fan bearing?

I don't think so urbanardvark.

I just ran the 'diagnostic test' from the bios and didn't hear that sound at all. It took 20-25 minutes and 90% of the time it tested the hdd/memory/processor. including processor stress test - the fan also worked for a while but did not hear the damn sound at all. as soon as I log on to windows it starts. does the buzzing for 10-12 min (intermittently) then stops for 1-2 min and then starts back again...

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Static? Have you tried disabling the audio device.If you think its the … Static? Have you tried disabling the audio device.If you think its the fan. Download speed fan and set a custom profile. Silence the fan then increase the speed to see if you hear the noise. If still no joy and you do end up taking it apart (unless you live with it) you may as well change the thermal compound while you are there and give it a clean.

when I first read your advice I said a-ha! but didn't work. disabled all audio devices (surprisingly there were 7 of them recording/placyback) but it didn't make any difference... I keep emailing Dell at the moment trying to convince them to transfer the ownership to me, hopefully I will get a positive response and will leave the dismantling to them. it's so frustrating. looking at the serial/service no etc on Dell's page it shows 3 years!!! warranty left but they say that they can't transfer because I don't know the name of original purchaser...the guy I bought it from said he doesn't know...anyway, I should stop whining. thanks for the suggestions though.

Have you actually seen the ssd with your own eyes? I am wondering if the previous owner has not swopped the HDD for a mechanical one for bigger storage perhaps and indeed you dont have SSD?

Original Poster

stevelo1973

Have you actually seen the ssd with your own eyes? I am wondering if the … Have you actually seen the ssd with your own eyes? I am wondering if the previous owner has not swopped the HDD for a mechanical one for bigger storage perhaps and indeed you dont have SSD?

Thanks stevelo1973. Checked the device manager and it is an SSD. Samsung PM851. couldn't find too much information about it though...seems like it's not a retail part.

try disabling the wireless card and see if you still get the problem. There were problems with some dell laptops of the wifi interfering with the ssd and that making weird noises (sometime really irritating high pitched squeals) I think the problem is actually the ssd (as replacing the ssd can fix the problem)

Oh and it is definitely ssd (it's msata so therefore ssd)
Edited by: "badasschris" 1st Feb 2015

Original Poster

badasschris

try disabling the wireless card and see if you still get the problem. … try disabling the wireless card and see if you still get the problem. There were problems with some dell laptops of the wifi interfering with the ssd and that making weird noises (sometime really irritating high pitched squeals) I think the problem is actually the ssd (as replacing the ssd can fix the problem) Oh and it is definitely ssd (it's msata so therefore ssd)

Thanks for the suggestion badasschris, just tried disabling each part one by one. Disabling wifi did not work however when I disable any part that says 'bluetooth' the computer stays quite for a few seconds, then starts but when I click 'enable' I get a few more seconds of silence.

I think you are right about this interference issue. How a software causes physical sound is beyond my comprehension though...many thanks, I will try upgrading all drivers and if it still doesn't fix, then probably I will replace the SSD - I was planning to get a bigger capacity one anyway.

timarli

Thanks for the suggestion badasschris, just tried disabling each part one … Thanks for the suggestion badasschris, just tried disabling each part one by one. Disabling wifi did not work however when I disable any part that says 'bluetooth' the computer stays quite for a few seconds, then starts but when I click 'enable' I get a few more seconds of silence.I think you are right about this interference issue. How a software causes physical sound is beyond my comprehension though...many thanks, I will try upgrading all drivers and if it still doesn't fix, then probably I will replace the SSD - I was planning to get a bigger capacity one anyway.

that is odd but the bluetooth and wifi are on the same card, have you tried with both disabled? If you are getting a new one that's great as you can use the old one in something else and should be fine, the problem is that the ssd sits directly on top of the wifi/bluetooth card and for some reason other msata ssds don't have the problem. I can't guarantee any of this but I hope your problem does get solved I know how irritating these little weird noises can be.

Original Poster

Just uninstalled the #!?# intel wireless drivers and the laptop is as silent as a lamb

many thanks badasschris!

like you say it was such an annoying noise...can't believe it's sorted - happy

timarli

Just uninstalled the #!?# intel wireless drivers and the laptop is as … Just uninstalled the #!?# intel wireless drivers and the laptop is as silent as a lamb :)many thanks badasschris!like you say it was such an annoying noise...can't believe it's sorted - happy

brilliant I'm glad that sorted it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions