Expired

Mechanics Advice Please! ... Car won't go in Gear (Changed Gear Box and Clutch too)

Found 14th Apr 2014
Got a Toyota Corolla 52 Plate. Someone told us the gear box was on the way out. And the other day when driving was hearing a schreeching noise. Barely Got home and was told was clutch gone so got a replacement (didn't install). Then the next day had to drive and nearly got home and the car wouldn't go into gear. Told gear box gone.

Yesterday replaced both gear box and clutch and full service. Had to tow it to the back as wouldn't go into gear. Its just stuck. Replacement gear box although used (50k on clock) was mint condition as told by mechanic. Even after the gearbox and new clutch and service parts installed the car still is stuck and won't go into any gear. Mechanic is stumped.

Any ideas what it could be? Someone's told me could be some sort of gear cable snapped? I don't know I'm not technical.

Any one in the know or experienced similar know of any ideas to resolve this?

PS: new gear box and clutch were fitted correctly.So I've been told.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Thank You

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Clutch
5 Comments

Any pressure on the clutch pedal?
Could be one of the cylinders

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

Any pressure on the clutch pedal?Could be one of the cylinders

Not that I'm aware of. Feels 'normal' to me.

When putting the clutch down it does go down. Tried pumping the clutch and then change gear but the gear stick is fully 'jammed' or won't move / pressure?

I hope that makes sense. Having another look to see if can rectify the issue tonight but thought i'd ask advice on here

Defo sounds like the linkage cables, Unless they've been fitted wrong etc.. Any mechanic with the ability to change clutch/gearbox should have the mechanical knowledge to know what the problem is, It would make me question their ability.

Original Poster

shauneco

Defo sounds like the linkage cables, Unless they've been fitted wrong … Defo sounds like the linkage cables, Unless they've been fitted wrong etc.. Any mechanic with the ability to change clutch/gearbox should have the mechanical knowledge to know what the problem is, It would make me question their ability.

Yeah he did say he thinks it may be the cable. It ended up getting dark so he said he'll try again today. Most likely is the cable. I'm thinking now whether we even needed a new gearbox/clutch?

Was like a wheezing/schreeching noise

krazyasif786

Yeah he did say he thinks it may be the cable. It ended up getting dark … Yeah he did say he thinks it may be the cable. It ended up getting dark so he said he'll try again today. Most likely is the cable. I'm thinking now whether we even needed a new gearbox/clutch?Was like a wheezing/schreeching noise

Well it would if it wasn't engaging properly, Could still of been a faulty gearbox, Could of stretched the linkage or perhaps something as daft as washer been left off when fitting etc.. Could send it out of sync etc..

Post a comment
@
    Text