Expired

Media player - Must play Divx / Xvid files

8 replies
Found 27th May 2009
I was looking at buying a big hard drive media player that would plug straight into a TV. (No need for a PC / Lappy) Has anyone any recomendations of the best one to buy? I have a budget of around £150. I have seen this one on Tesco direct but was wondering if there are any better ones around?

direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx

Thanks

8 Comments

Old Xbox and XBMC - yea they are not that good to look at but the Media Center is Awesome

flickr.com/pho…05/

andrpro;5328270

Old Xbox and XBMC - yea they are not that good to look at but the Media … Old Xbox and XBMC - yea they are not that good to look at but the Media Center is Awesomehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I've heard of this before, but can't seem to find where to download it can anyone help ? :thinking:

Cancel that last request, just found the instructions online. :-D

Once you've installed the XBox, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

Make sure it's connected to the Internet, then you can use Library mode to keep the titles of the TV programmes up to date, together with synposes and fan art. Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys, but I was really looking for somthing more like a portable player / media storage sort of thing. Anyone else have any ideas?

Renegade01;5330448

Thanks for the help guys, but I was really looking for somthing more like … Thanks for the help guys, but I was really looking for somthing more like a portable player / media storage sort of thing. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have no experience of these things, but Maplins stocks them. You could try visiting your local store and see if anyone there has used one. I do know that these media players are not as sophisticated as the XMBC product, but someone with the requisite experience will no doubt be able to advise.

Original Poster

Afterburner;5330927

I have no experience of these things, but Maplins stocks them. You could … I have no experience of these things, but Maplins stocks them. You could try visiting your local store and see if anyone there has used one. I do know that these media players are not as sophisticated as the XMBC product, but someone with the requisite experience will no doubt be able to advise.

Thanks Afterburner for taking the time to reply. I will check out maplins etc.:thumbsup:

I have an Xbox with XBMC, a WDTV and a PS3. Each can function as a full media centre; each has its merits.

The Xbox with XBMC has been my main media player for 3 years or so - excellent for XviD movies, DVDs etc, as well as stuff like iPlayer and ITV Player (watch them on your TV with special scripts). Main cons are the fact the Xbox is beefy and ugly, and sometimes the HD can be pretty loud, lack of support for the X264 codec is another drawback.

WDTV is my latest toy, so far I love it, have it hooked up to a 250GB external HD with a network adaptor and custom firmware, so I can FTP to it like I would my Xbox. Only drawbacks are that to FTP stuff to it is slow (30mbit max using EXT2 format drive) and no support for DTS decoding, but if you have a decent home cinema this will take care of it for you.

I only started streaming to my PS3 last week, I never realised how easy it is - it does everything the other two do and more - DTS decoding etc. Fantastic picture, deals with all HD codecs, only thing is as you stream to it your PC has to be on it, and preferably a wired connection to handle streaming 720p/1080p movies.

If you haven't got £200 to burn on a PS3, I think the WDTV is the way to go, would probably cost about £130 for the whole kit (WDTV player, external HD and a network adaptor) but it's worth it. Failing that you can pick up an original Xbox for around a tenner and soft mod it - job done. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428614679
    2. Boredom1822
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769659
    4. The Walking Dead Thread (opinion, spoilers Rumors)74571

See more discussions