Found 22nd May 2009
i took our youngest sprog (11 months now btw) to the docs this morning because she's been poorly of late - picking up all sorts from her nursery and wherever else.

Anyways, she's had a bit of a cold & a bad chest last few days & last night she had a sleepless night so we thought best see a quack.

The doc said it wasn't serious, no infection, just a bit of mucus & just to keep her warm, dry etc & the cold will pass. All fair enough.

She suggested giving her calpol to keep her temp. down etc. At this point, I asked if she could give me a prescription for some. She refused & said that they don't give prescriptions for it anymore & we have to buy it off the shelf.

Is this true or was she blagging? I thought anything like this was free for under 16's etc.

i know some of you lot are clued up on stuff like this so I thought I'd run it by y'all.

1. Misc
  2. Calpol
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Calpol
20 Comments

I remember being asked by the doc if we had enough paracetamol syrup for our little ones. Perhaps its something they've stopped doing now?

Banned

some doctors do go by this practise, ask at your pharmisists there was a thread on here the other day that said alot of pharmacies give this out for free

not sure about that, but as infant calpol type medicines are cheap anyway is it really a problem?

Also maybe you could try calcold for night time if you want her to sleep better, its the same as mediced but think it tastes slightly better (although niether are particulary nice). Also raising up the head end of the mattress can help (couple of bankets under the mattress).

Hope she's better soon

Original Poster

yeah same here.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't begrudge the NHS a few quid & I don't mind buying it at all. I just thought it was strange more than anything because in the past, they've dished out prescriptions for it before.

it might just be calpol thats off the precription lsit but yes meds should eb free for your daughter

i usually buy it but last month my boy was ill and i took him to see the doctor an he prescribed me some calpon, my baby had similar symtons as u

Original Poster

owens101;5293996

not sure about that, but as infant calpol type medicines are cheap anyway … not sure about that, but as infant calpol type medicines are cheap anyway is it really a problem?Also maybe you could try calcold for night time if you want him to sleep better, its the same as mediced but think it tastes slightly better (although niether are particulary nice). Also raising up the head end of the mattress can help (couple of bankets under the mattress).Hope he's better soon

Thanks - never heard of calcold - I'll dig some out tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Go to the chemist and ask about 'Care at the chemist'. They can offer advice on stuff like this and give simple medicines (such as calpol) to kids

our doctor gives out a liquid paracetamol equivelent on prescription

In some areas of the country it's called ' Direct Care' or something and you cna go into a chemist get things like headlice treatment for children ( works rubbish! ) and things like Calpol but it be a non branded paracetamol for children amongst other basic things like that.

Some GP's will give you a prescription for Calpol,others won't,I don't mind buying it,it's only £2 for a small bottle,I tend to keep some in,mine both have the 6+ 1 but they prefer the 1 for 2mths + lol.

Karvol drops are good if they blocked up nose etc.

If you worried about chest infection,well my partner and my daughter who do get them from time to time,they have bad breath and sometimes you can just tell little ones have a chest infection when you sit them on you lap and the way their chest is crackly,thats the signs here anyway.

Calpol is not allowed on prescription as it is blacklisted but paracetamol suspension is

there is something called the minor ailments scheme which means you can get prescriptions at prescription rate for certain things at the chemist(may depend on where you live too) but on tht list is fever in children!!

Also, about 3 months ago,both my babies were ill and i asked for some calpol, they rtesponded with we dont do calpol but we can give you paracetamol suspension(same thing) got my prescription , went to chemist, and came out with 5bottles of medinol!!!!

I had my little girl to a walk in centre a few weeks back for the same thing...the doctor asked me if I had enough calpol and I said probably not enough so they gave me a bottle....but wasn't actually Calpol...it was a Cherry flavoured paracetamol suspension. My little one has also had ParaPaed & Medinol before which are just paracetamol suspension - never been prescribed actual Calpol though!

Original Poster

Well I'm educated now.

Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I don't mind buying it at all - in fact we normally have it in, I was just taken aback when the doc said no. a substitute would have done but hey, never mind.

With a bit of luck she will be better in a few days. in the last few weeks, since starting nursery, she has had -

1- viral infection - doctor diagnosed her over the phone with gastric-enteritis. 2 days later when she went limp and developed a rash, they admitted her to hospital, whacked her on an anti-biotic drip with suspected meningitis & then sent her home after 3 days, saying it was an 'unidentified virus'

2- a cold

3- 2 episodes of bad chest

4-conjunctivitis.

I think she's getting a bit naffed off with being poked & prodded.

still, could be worse & she still smiles!!!!

karaokecolin;5294500

Well I'm educated now.Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I don't … Well I'm educated now.Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I don't mind buying it at all - in fact we normally have it in, I was just taken aback when the doc said no. a substitute would have done but hey, never mind.With a bit of luck she will be better in a few days. in the last few weeks, since starting nursery, she has had -1- viral infection - doctor diagnosed her over the phone with gastric-enteritis. 2 days later when she went limp and developed a rash, they admitted her to hospital, whacked her on an anti-biotic drip with suspected meningitis & then sent her home after 3 days, saying it was an 'unidentified virus'2- a cold3- 2 episodes of bad chest4-conjunctivitis.I think she's getting a bit naffed off with being poked & prodded.still, could be worse & she still smiles!!!!

Poor babba. Every child goes through this when they are let lose in the big wild world. When my daughter started nursery she was equally as bad - chest infections, laryngitis, numerous colds and coughs, hand foot and mouth disease. A year in and she is doing much better and only picks up the odd cold here and there.

Hope she feels better soon x

You find out what she likes the taste of and don't like the taste of and stick with that.

When my youngest was about 3 she got taken into A&E with asthma attack and she had high temp and all that,she refused to take their medicine,it wasn't Calpol,in end they had to put it up her bottom :(,something or other not the medicine but some thing else, took 3 them to hold her down despite her being totally exhausted,we just had 3hrs in A&E,awful night that was.
She be better soon,mine got cough and cold at min,I'm about to get it anyday too.

our gp surgery has signs asking not to ask the Dr for suscriptions for calpol as they are cheap to buy, probably differs by area/practice

I signed on just to reply to this!!

They dont do scripts for calpol now coz ur if u registar ur kids at ur local chemist they get things like tht on wots called minor ailments which covers most things ie hayfever, coughs, colds etc plus adults covered if got an exemption certificate, on JSA, income support or the likes!!

This cuts down on the little things not saying there not important as i know all bout theses things my now 3yr old woz forever ill from private nursery!!

Hope this helps!! xx

karaokecolin;5294500

Well I'm educated now. Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I don't … Well I'm educated now. Thanks for the advice guys. Like I said, I don't mind buying it at all - in fact we normally have it in, I was just taken aback when the doc said no. a substitute would have done but hey, never mind. With a bit of luck she will be better in a few days. in the last few weeks, since starting nursery, she has had - 1- viral infection - doctor diagnosed her over the phone with gastric-enteritis. 2 days later when she went limp and developed a rash, they admitted her to hospital, whacked her on an anti-biotic drip with suspected meningitis & then sent her home after 3 days, saying it was an 'unidentified virus'. 2- a cold3- 2 episodes of bad chest4-conjunctivitis.I think she's getting a bit naffed off with being poked & prodded. still, could be worse & she still smiles!!!!

and now has a really good immune system because of the exposure and not too many antibiotics.

No parent should have to pay for any paracetamol based medicines, unless you want a particular brand, which looks flashier but essentially the same.

I can get paracetamol suspension from GP, not branded paracetamol but just the same active ingedient. Or can get same free from pharmacy - ask for minor ailments scheme.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769429
    2. I thought the 'Dementia tax' had gone for good,apparently not.35
    3. UNDERTALE PS4 / PS Vita / PC Physical Editions (Exclusive to Fangamer)33
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428014646

See more discussions