Groups

Medicines...

While I was in ASDA Saturday, I went to the pharmacy counter as my little man has a bit of a runny nose and as many of the other children at nursery are all coughing and spluttering and we've all been handed out "swine flu" pamphlets, I wanted to get some cough medicine.

I asked for Tixylix Cough and Cold, and was informed by the pharmacist that they aren't seeling it to be given to children under 6 anymore, due to some information in the newspaper about it not being safe for under 6's. ( My son is 3 )

I could SEE the Tixylix displayed in the cabinet and this big brother attitude angers me because I'm a Mum and I take responsibility for the welfare of my child, so I ask her if the medicine is allowed by the Drug Administration how she can decide not to give it to me just because of something she's read in the newspaper.

She informs me... " Alright, you can have the CHESTY cough mixture then."

I don't want chesty cough, I want the pseudoephenephedrine in the cough and cold remedy to help dry up his nasal secretions. She looks at me blankly.

So, I say... "Saline nose drops? I can have them, right?" and she goes off..... and comes back with an unbranded tickly cough medicine.

By now I'm starting to wonder if the real pharmacist is actually tied up in the back somewhere and I'm actually talking to an escaped loony or something.

I ask.... " The nose drops?"

"Oh, " she replies.... "we don't have any of those...."

It was at this point, I decided to leave in disgust, if she can't make up saline nose drops them I don't know how she ever earnt a pharmacy qualification.

Anyone else been refused cough medicine for their little ones?

20 Comments

if she was a real pharmacist she would have known what you were on about. i think she did tie the real one up in the back lol!

Banned

'my little man has a bit of a runny nose ' - euphemism much?

Original Poster

FilthAndFurry;5114331

No, really! lol

Though with all the potty training, perhaps it was subconscious lol

I think she probably guessed you were going to make a bomb with it or something. I've heard you look like an escaped psycho-terrorist so am not that surprised.

it is not safe for children under 6 no pharmacy will sell pseudoephredrine its not because of something in the paper.

Pharmacies are now no longer allowed to make saline drops cough mixtures etc unfortunately its rules and regulations although this should have been explained to you at the time.

they are now saying you cant use bonjela in children now !

FilthAndFurry;5114331

what could you be referring to? :thinking: .... :w00t:

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;5114346

I think she probably guessed you were going to make a bomb with it or … I think she probably guessed you were going to make a bomb with it or something. I've heard you look like an escaped psycho-terrorist so am not that surprised.

oh you're scaring my kids now making me laugh so hard! lol

Original Poster

f10na;5114350

it is not safe for children under 6 no pharmacy will sell … it is not safe for children under 6 no pharmacy will sell pseudoephredrine its not because of something in the paper.Pharmacies are now no longer allowed to make saline drops cough mixtures etc unfortunately its rules and regulations although this should have been explained to you at the time.they are now saying you cant use bonjela in children now !

bonjela??

I think maybe I'm going to have to borrow someones 6yr old and go round to the local chemist lol

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;5114352

what could you be referring to? :thinking: .... :w00t:

I was referring to the little man not the big one lol

yes because the ingredient in bonjela is from aspirin it cant be used anymore the world is getting crazier all these things have been used fine for years but now they are not safe

Original Poster

f10na;5114387

yes because the ingredient in bonjela is from aspirin it cant be used … yes because the ingredient in bonjela is from aspirin it cant be used anymore the world is getting crazier all these things have been used fine for years but now they are not safe

I guess it just more and more comes down to health departments and companies covering their butts just in case something happens and they get sued.

Lots of medicine guidelines have changed recently, including the re-licensing of Tixilix Cough & Cold to age 6+

I found this information:
    Tixylix® Cough & Cold contains a combination of active ingredients which under the new MHRA advice is now only for use in children six and over.

The MHRA have advised that this product will not be removed from shelves and can continue to be used in children six to ten, until March 2010 at the latest.

Please do not be concerned if you have given Tixylix® Cough & Cold recently to a child under six.

If you are unsure about what to do following the recent change in advice, please ask your pharmacist or healthcare professional for up to date advice on treating your child’s cough and cold symptoms.

Tixylix ® Cough & Cold (contains pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, chlorphenamine maleate and pholcodine).
    Always read the label.

Although it may have been frustrating the pharmacist was simply following the latest rules.
    HTH

f10na;5114350

it is not safe for children under 6 no pharmacy will sell … it is not safe for children under 6 no pharmacy will sell pseudoephredrine its not because of something in the paper.Pharmacies are now no longer allowed to make saline drops cough mixtures etc unfortunately its rules and regulations although this should have been explained to you at the time.[COLOR="Red"]they are now saying you cant use bonjela in children now !

[/COLOR]

Its not bonjella teething gel, just the mouth Ulcer ones like bonjella cool, and bonjella once.

HTH

nope but i did get refused painkillers last year (age 20 might i add) as i didnt have ID on me, although i was carrying my car keys lol

Original Poster

BECKYBOO;5114452

Lots of medicine guidelines have changed recently, including the … Lots of medicine guidelines have changed recently, including the re-licensing of Tixilix Cough & Cold to age 6+I found this information:Tixylix® Cough & Cold contains a combination of active ingredients which under the new MHRA advice is now only for use in children six and over.The MHRA have advised that this product will not be removed from shelves and can continue to be used in children six to ten, until March 2010 at the latest.Please do not be concerned if you have given Tixylix® Cough & Cold recently to a child under six.If you are unsure about what to do following the recent change in advice, please ask your pharmacist or healthcare professional for up to date advice on treating your child’s cough and cold symptoms.Tixylix ® Cough & Cold (contains pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, chlorphenamine maleate and pholcodine).Always read the label.Although it may have been frustrating the pharmacist was simply following the latest rules.HTH

Thanks for this. This is why I could see the bottle of Tixylix in front of my nose behind a glass screen clearly labelled " 2 to 10 years".

Her bringing up the newspaper advert like it was her sole reason for not giving me the medicine is what threw me. Stupid woman could have said the law had changed. This info I would have accepted x x

Original Poster

crazyblondechick;5114497

nope but i did get refused painkillers last year (age 20 might i add) as … nope but i did get refused painkillers last year (age 20 might i add) as i didnt have ID on me, although i was carrying my car keys lol

Oh, I've seen people told " you can only have one box of paracetamol" along with their three months supply of anti-depressants. lol

f10na;5114387

yes because the ingredient in bonjela is from aspirin it cant be used … yes because the ingredient in bonjela is from aspirin it cant be used anymore the world is getting crazier all these things have been used fine for years but now they are not safe

If you are going to spread scare mongering stories at least give the full facts rather than just something you may have heard.

[COLOR="Red"]BONJELA — the gel used on teething babies and kids with mouth ulcers — has been banned for under 16s over fears it could cause a deadly brain and liver condition.
    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="DarkRed"]A key ingredient similar to aspirin, salicylate salts, raises the risk of Reye’s syndrome, said a top health watchdog.[/COLOR][/FONT]

The ruling from the Medicine and Healthcare Regulatory Agency affects Bonjela and Bonjela Cool Mint Gel.

The watchdog insisted no kids had developed Reye’s because of Bonjela, but “the risk was not worth taking”.

Generations of British parents have used Bonjela to calm their kids and 62million packs have been sold in the past 40 years.

In 2002 Bonjela’s manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser launched a Bonjela Teething Gel without the salts and last night the firm stressed this should be used for kids.

But many mums and dads still automatically reach for traditional Bonjela.

Risk
    Reckitt said the gel would be repackaged making clear it is for adults.

Dr June Raine, of the MHRA, said: “This new advice brings these products into line with others containing aspirin.

“Any risk from these oral gel products is theoretical. We are not aware of any confirmed cases, but when there are alternatives available, any risk is not worth taking.”

Reckitt said: “The advice is purely precautionary, and has been introduced due to a theoretical risk.

“There have been no confirmed cases of Reyes Syndrome associated with Bonjela or Bonjela Cool.” [/COLOR]

For more information nhs.uk/new…spx

ClarityofMind;5114513

Oh, I've seen people told " you can only have one box of paracetamol" … Oh, I've seen people told " you can only have one box of paracetamol" along with their three months supply of anti-depressants. lol

See this is what gets me, I think in Asda you can buy 3 boxes of whatever but no more.

Now if you seriously wanted to kill yourself then you could just go in and out of pharmacys to get as many as you need.

Also you can buy 100 bottles of vodka and them not think anything of it but try to buy 4 boxes of parrots eat them all or brufen and your refused.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5114542

See this is what gets me, I think in Asda you can buy 3 boxes of whatever … See this is what gets me, I think in Asda you can buy 3 boxes of whatever but no more.Now if you seriously wanted to kill yourself then you could just go in and out of pharmacys to get as many as you need.Also you can buy 100 bottles of vodka and them not think anything of it but try to buy 4 boxes of parrots eat them all or brufen and your refused.

Well precisely. The world is numbnuts.

pugw$sh;5114533

If you are going to spread scare mongering stories at least give the full … If you are going to spread scare mongering stories at least give the full facts rather than just something you may have heard.[COLOR="Red"]BONJELA — the gel used on teething babies and kids with mouth ulcers — has been banned for under 16s over fears it could cause a deadly brain and liver condition. [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="DarkRed"]A key ingredient similar to aspirin, salicylate salts, raises the risk of Reye’s syndrome, said a top health watchdog.[/COLOR][/FONT] The ruling from the Medicine and Healthcare Regulatory Agency affects Bonjela and Bonjela Cool Mint Gel. The watchdog insisted no kids had developed Reye’s because of Bonjela, but “the risk was not worth taking”. Generations of British parents have used Bonjela to calm their kids and 62million packs have been sold in the past 40 years. In 2002 Bonjela’s manufacturer Reckitt Benckiser launched a Bonjela Teething Gel without the salts and last night the firm stressed this should be used for kids. But many mums and dads still automatically reach for traditional Bonjela. Risk Reckitt said the gel would be repackaged making clear it is for adults. Dr June Raine, of the MHRA, said: “This new advice brings these products into line with others containing aspirin. “Any risk from these oral gel products is theoretical. We are not aware of any confirmed cases, but when there are alternatives available, any risk is not worth taking.” Reckitt said: “The advice is purely precautionary, and has been introduced due to a theoretical risk. “There have been no confirmed cases of Reyes Syndrome associated with Bonjela or Bonjela Cool.” [/COLOR]For more information http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/04April/Pages/BonjelaChildDangerQandA.aspx

I was hardly scare mongering was just commenting that things that used to be ok for kids to take are no longer ok . eg the original post trying to buy a cough bottle but not being able to due to new legislation. If i had realised a simple comment about the world going crazy would have caused you upset i would of googled and copy and pasted the facts but didnt deem it neccesary
    as it was only a by the way comment
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764352
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1017
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415414089
      4. Rest In Peace Jerry Lewis.33

See more discussions