Groups

Medion Akoya Mini/Dell Mini 9 HUKD User group

Banned
    Since both deals will now slowly be expired and forgotten, I thought it would be good to try and carry on sharing ideas and advice with everyone, as has happened in the deals thread.

The original threads were:

Dell Mini 9 - hotukdeals.com/ite…l-n
    Medion Akoya Mini - hotukdeals.com/ite…347

Will also reserve a few of the first posts for future links and articles etc

95 Comments

Original Poster Banned

[SIZE="5"]Medion Akoya Mini[/SIZE]

The Medion Akoya Mini is a rebadged MSI Wind, with a few subtle changes.

Links

MsiWind.net - Good news site for the MSI Wind, and the Medion
    MsiWind.net Forums - Excellent forum for the MSI Wind and it's siblings.
    Medion - Official site
    Driver download page - Direct link
    Vista/Win7 Driver Downloads
    Crucial.com memory upgrade - Crucial memory upgrade - Part Num: CT930460 Price: £20.69 less quidco

Notes:

The Medion ships with a Synaptics touchpad, not a Sentallic. This is a good thing!
    There is only 1 memory slot available. This means the existing 1gb stick must be replaced for any upgrade. Use link above for correct upgrade.
    Runs Mac OS with everything working bar audio I/O ports - earphone/mic jack. Built-in mic also missing.
    Runs Windows 7 or Vista with no problems
    Xbox HD-DVD drive works as external drive with no drives - £20 from some gamestations

Guides:

(Coming soon)

Original Poster Banned

[SIZE="5"]Dell Inspiron Mini 9[/SIZE]

Hardware usually similar across specification range

Links

MyDellMini.com - Large unofficial usergroup site
    MyDellMini.com Forum - Well supported forum with specific Mini 9 forums
    Dell Support - Official Dell support website
    Mini 9 Support and downloads - Official driver download page

Notes:

Runs Mac OS with full hardware support
    Runs Windows 7 or Vista with no problems
    Xbox HD-DVD drive works as external drive with no drives - £20 from some gamestations

Guides:

(Coming soon)

Original Poster Banned

[SIZE="5"]Known issues[/SIZE]

Dell Mini 9

Battery not charging

Symptom: Laptop runs correctly on AC power, but will not run on Battery. Laptop turns off when disconnecting AC Power
    Advice:
    a) If using Linux, Check the Aircraft Manager control panel. Try enabling and re-disabling Aircraft Mode. Looking at the code it seems this manages charging as well as turning the radios on/off.
    b) Remove battery, Remove AC Power. Insert battery, and lock both sides. Hold Fn+B while inserting the AC cord. Laptop beeps. Remove ac power, remove battery, Reinsert battery, AC power, allow to charge with laptop off for upto 12 hours.
    c) Battery faulty - contact dell support
    d) After installing ubuntu 8.10 + latest Aircraft Manager from dell's ftp, and flashed latest A04 BIOS continue with a) - added by luis.vc

Medion Akoya Mini

None currently

Just thought I'd add, I have 720p HD mkv's working fine now on my Akoya e1210 after a little research. All that is needed is CoreAVC (for the vid decoding), AC3Filter (from [url]www.ac3filter.net[/url]) for the audio, Media Player Classic (for that low overhead) and to turn off Aero and viola! With normal codec packs I was getting ok video but the audio wasn't sync'ing up properly. This seems to have solved that issue

SiG;4586097

Just thought I'd add, I have 720p HD mkv's working fine now on my Akoya … Just thought I'd add, I have 720p HD mkv's working fine now on my Akoya e1210 after a little research. All that is needed is CoreAVC (for the vid decoding), AC3Filter (from [url]www.ac3filter.net[/url]) for the audio, Media Player Classic (for that low overhead) and to turn off Aero and viola! With normal codec packs I was getting ok video but the audio wasn't sync'ing up properly. This seems to have solved that issue

Just download the CCCP codec pack, has everything I've ever needed including Media Player Classic (which plays everything under the sun, incl ogg and mkvs, and I personally prefer to VLC).

I installed xp on my dell mini, everything is working great, except one very small problem. I can't seem to locate the dell webcam manager app anywhere. Is it only available on the original cd's?

Hi,
    I have the Mini 9 with Unbunto
    Has anyone successfully downloaded and installed the driver for the Vodafone Mobile Broadband USB stick?
    I can't seem to find a tutorial so I can't get online with it (its my only internet type connection-currently using it in my desktop pc)
    Help please

Hi I ordered the Dell mini for my daughters birthday which isn't until June, i haven't received it yet but could somebody please advise me on the best way to check to see if the battery is working properly when it arrives (have read about the issues) obviously don't want to leave it until June so I'd rather check it before she has it on her birthday. Any advice would be much appreciated. I know its been put in the other thread but when theres pages of other advice too I don't know where to read first !
    Thanks in advance

malibu777;4588625

Hi I ordered the Dell mini for my daughters birthday which isn't until … Hi I ordered the Dell mini for my daughters birthday which isn't until June, i haven't received it yet but could somebody please advise me on the best way to check to see if the battery is working properly when it arrives (have read about the issues) obviously don't want to leave it until June so I'd rather check it before she has it on her birthday. Any advice would be much appreciated. I know its been put in the other thread but when theres pages of other advice too I don't know where to read first !Thanks in advance

the easiest way to tell is, leave it on charge for about half an hour, then switch it on and unplug the power cable if it stays on then your ok as it seems to be charging (assuming the battery was flat in the first place)

Good thread vibeone! this will come in use for me :thumbs

Any chance to repost the links to the forums and installing OSX in here for dell mini 9 ?

mds1256;4589127

the easiest way to tell is, leave it on charge for about half an hour, … the easiest way to tell is, leave it on charge for about half an hour, then switch it on and unplug the power cable if it stays on then your ok as it seems to be charging (assuming the battery was flat in the first place)

Brilliant thanks

Original Poster Banned

malibu777;4589206

Brilliant thanks

and seriously do it - because I don't think anyone has posted yet and said "yeah works out of box". Some have fixed the fault, some haven't - but has anyone just had a perfectly working battery from the outset?

Original Poster Banned

Have added some info to the first posts

vibeone;4589278

and seriously do it - because I don't think anyone has posted yet and … and seriously do it - because I don't think anyone has posted yet and said "yeah works out of box". Some have fixed the fault, some haven't - but has anyone just had a perfectly working battery from the outset?

Its worrying me in a way so I definatley will do it. I am considering just sending it right back without taking it out of the box , the only thing thats stopping me is everybodys saying how good it is (when its working!)

Original Poster Banned

malibu777;4589408

Its worrying me in a way so I definatley will do it. I am considering … Its worrying me in a way so I definatley will do it. I am considering just sending it right back without taking it out of the box , the only thing thats stopping me is everybodys saying how good it is (when its working!)

Can you get your hands on the Medion? Or did you specifically want the dell?

malibu777;4589408

Its worrying me in a way so I definatley will do it. I am considering … Its worrying me in a way so I definatley will do it. I am considering just sending it right back without taking it out of the box , the only thing thats stopping me is everybodys saying how good it is (when its working!)

It's worrying me too. Like malibu I'm waiting to get mine. I've been given a delivery date of 13/03/09 and I'm hoping that this indicates that the computer is being built now and has not been in storage for months.
    Is there any reason to believe that a recently built computer will not have the battery problem?

vibeone;4589498

Can you get your hands on the Medion? Or did you specifically want the … Can you get your hands on the Medion? Or did you specifically want the dell?

I've just been looking at the Medion, didn't specifically want the Dell it just seemed like a good deal but I really don't want the hassle of worrying over the battery n all that. I might just send it back and wait for another deal. I wouldn't mind the medion but by the time the moneys refunded into my bank they will probably have sold out

Original Poster Banned

thats what credit limits are for!

hehe... Dell are due to call me back

planetdannii;4587720

Hi, I have the Mini 9 with UnbuntoHas anyone successfully downloaded and … Hi, I have the Mini 9 with UnbuntoHas anyone successfully downloaded and installed the driver for the Vodafone Mobile Broadband USB stick? I can't seem to find a tutorial so I can't get online with it (its my only internet type connection-currently using it in my desktop pc)Help please

download modeswitch and vodafone-connect from the Dell Mini section:
    forge.betavine.net/frs…209

download on another computer to USB stick, and copy onto your home directory in ubuntu
    then install

read the install.txt files for further information

I have a Advent 4211 (same as medion with bigger hard disk), toshiba nb100, samsung q1 and have just ordered the dell mini 9.

In my mind these are two different machines. The dell is for folk who want maximum portability with a 1024x600 resolution (7" screens give less, except for the sony and wye models). This includes the mobile phone type power supply which is less weight and size (including extra cable) then conventional laptop bricks.

The MSI wind/Advent 4211/Medion Akoya has a larger screen, hard disk and is therefore 20% heavier, but still portable. I use my advent 4211 for the kids to watch films on the plane, and as a second browser when I am playing games on my main PC. The Advent 4211 also has the best keyboard of any netbook (except perhaps the samsung).

The toshiba nb100 is going to replace my bedside samsung q1, as the small screen and slow cpu is a bit behind the times these days.

The mini 9 is purely going to be for my backpack to work, and for travelling to and from work and clients.

In the house I have a 15" samsung laptop in the kitchen which the kids and wife use, as well as me in the lounge when I am watching a semi-boring film.

I have a main PC I use for games and serious web work and for my photography hobby with a nice 28" screen.

The point I am making (badly) is that the mini 9 and akoyay are different machines and folk should look at their requirements first before thinking about which machine to buy.

I have a blog here where I have jotted down the differences between the main netbooks at the moment (most of which I have owned at one time or another):
    technologyvictim.blogspot.com/200…ml/

the 2gb stick for the MEDION
    appears to be cheaper at play.com £16.49

play.com/PC/…tml

I bought this one for the dell mini
    play.com/PC/…tml
    £15.49

vibeone;4584905

[SIZE="5"]Known issues[/SIZE]Dell Mini 9Battery not chargingSymptom: … [SIZE="5"]Known issues[/SIZE]Dell Mini 9Battery not chargingSymptom: Laptop runs correctly on AC power, but will not run on Battery. Laptop turns off when disconnecting AC PowerAdvice: a) If using Linux, Check the Aircraft Manager control panel. Try enabling and re-disabling Aircraft Mode. Looking at the code it seems this manages charging as well as turning the radios on/off. b) Remove battery, Remove AC Power. Insert battery, and lock both sides. Hold Fn+B while inserting the AC cord. Laptop beeps. Remove ac power, remove battery, Reinsert battery, AC power, allow to charge with laptop off for upto 12 hours. c) Battery faulty - contact dell supportMedion Akoya MiniNone currently

d-) for me a) worked after installing ubuntu 8.10 + latest Aircraft Manager from dell's ftp (and flashed latest A04 BIOS)

Original Poster Banned

Dell are collecting my Mini 9 on wednesday. Full refund within 10-12 days.

Tried to palm me off with bios update as "simple fix sir" - but I'd already done it. Just quoted the magic words - distance selling - and they agreed the refund.

Original Poster Banned

luis.vc;4590111

d-) for me a) worked after installing ubuntu 8.10 + latest Aircraft … d-) for me a) worked after installing ubuntu 8.10 + latest Aircraft Manager from dell's ftp (and flashed latest A04 BIOS)

added to post. thanks

Just installed PNY PC5300 / 2GB / 800MHz / DDR2 / 200pin SoDIMM Laptop Memory on the Dell mini (bought at PLAY) and it works fine!

Original Poster Banned

can you include a lin and ill add it

vibeone;4591880

can you include a lin and ill add it

A quick search.... Me thinks this is the one.... play.com/PC/…tml

I would however recommend using Crucial's Netbook Upgrade Centre which gives these results crucial.com/uk/…%29 not sure why it has returned two options....

Part #: CT885015 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64
    Part #: CT897995 • DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

My Dell Mini 9 is still showing "Phase 3 In Production Your order is in this phase."

Sykobabble;4592532

A quick search.... Me thinks this is the one.... … A quick search.... Me thinks this is the one.... http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5748603/PNY-PC5300-2GB-667MHz-DDR2-200pin-SoDIMM-Laptop-Memory/Product.htmlI would however recommend using Crucial's Netbook Upgrade Centre which gives these results http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%20Mini%209%20%28910%29 not sure why it has returned two options....Part #: CT885015 • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64Part #: CT897995 • DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64

It is actually this one:
    play.com/PC/…tml
    Same price

luis.vc;4592695

It is actually this one: … It is actually this one: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5748690/PNY-PC6400-2GB-800MHz-DDR2-200pin-SoDIMM-Laptop-Memory/Product.htmlSame price

Excellent! :thumbsup:

Great thread, bought both of these netbooks, well pleased with both. No problems at all with the battery on the Dell. Both batteries giving just over 2 hours so far, while just browsing.

vibeone;4590165

Dell are collecting my Mini 9 on wednesday. Full refund within 10-12 … Dell are collecting my Mini 9 on wednesday. Full refund within 10-12 days.

Are you returning it because of the reported battery problem?

Received mine today.
    Unfortunately the battery is completely dead.
    A BIOS upgrade plus numerous Fn+B routines couldn't bring it back to life so its going back to Dell.

Good job I bought the Medion too, simple decision which to keep in the end :-D

Ste7ieBoy;4595013

Received mine today.Unfortunately the battery is completely dead. A BIOS … Received mine today.Unfortunately the battery is completely dead. A BIOS upgrade plus numerous Fn+B routines couldn't bring it back to life so its going back to Dell.Good job I bought the Medion too, simple decision which to keep in the end :-D

Search google for aircraft-manager_belmont11_all.deb and install it. Try enable and disable aircraft mode.

Original Poster Banned

Ste7ieBoy;4595013

Received mine today.Unfortunately the battery is completely dead. A BIOS … Received mine today.Unfortunately the battery is completely dead. A BIOS upgrade plus numerous Fn+B routines couldn't bring it back to life so its going back to Dell.Good job I bought the Medion too, simple decision which to keep in the end :-D

definately. I agree that the Medion is a different beast, but the dell was quite disappointing. I was actually glad it was faulty in the end.

Ordered on 4th and is due to arrive on 20th although I did customise it a bit

luis.vc;4595204

Search google for aircraft-manager_belmont11_all.deb and install it. Try … Search google for aircraft-manager_belmont11_all.deb and install it. Try enable and disable aircraft mode.

Just tried that. Unfortunately still no joy.

I think my battery is definitely dead.

vibeone;4589377

Have added some info to the first posts

Great post! Will defiinetely be of value! Have some rep.:thumbsup:

Ste7ieBoy;4597128

Just tried that. Unfortunately still no joy.I think my battery is … Just tried that. Unfortunately still no joy.I think my battery is definitely dead.

That is bad luck indeed!...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2241
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions