Meet Analogue Pocket, the 2020 homage to the Nintendo Gameboy

Posted 17th Oct
I don't think I could word this better than GamesRadar have - "The Pocket looks like Apple designed a Game Boy"

3310570.jpg
No specific release date for the Analogue Pocket has been announced yet, although it has been stated for a sometime in 2020 release. The Pocket comes loaded with a 3.5" 1600x1440 screen (that's 10x the resolution of the original Gameboy screen), will be compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Colour & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library and can be docked for output to your HDTV.

3310570.jpg
As sexy as the Analogue Pocket may be, I'm not sure the price tag is quite as appealing for me, weighing in at just shy of £200. I mean there are alternatives, something like the Hyperkin Smart Boy, for example, which is a massive 85% cheaper

All is not exclusive to the Nintendo Gameboy, though - the Analogue Pocket is also capable of playing your extensive library of Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Colour and Atari Lynx games with the help of an external cartridge adaptor, which are to be purchased separately.

I'd love to know what your thoughts on the Pocket are, £150 too much, or worthy of a purchase?

3310570.jpg
Pocket Tech Specs

• Compatible with Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance game cartridges.
  • 3.5" LTPS LCD. 1600×1440 resolution. 615ppi
  • Rechargeable lithium ion battery.
  • All buttons mappable.
  • Stereo Speakers.
  • microSD.
  • USB-C charging.
  • 3.5mm headphone output.
  • Original-style link plug.
  • Rechargeable battery.

Analogue Dock Tech Specs
  • HDMI output.
  • 2 USB inputs for wired controllers.
  • Bluetooth for wireless controllers.
  • DAC compatible.

[Sign up for updates at the Analogue Pocket websit
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

19 Comments
Christ this has me excited, I'm guessing it will support ROMs from SD card, if so...I'm pre ordering!
100% all in when this drops
wellzism17/10/2019 08:34

Christ this has me excited, I'm guessing it will support ROMs from SD …Christ this has me excited, I'm guessing it will support ROMs from SD card, if so...I'm pre ordering!

I'm not 100% sure out of the box it will, if at all...

1Analogue Pocket does not play rom files, it plays legacy game cartridges via the cartridge slot. 2Analogue Pocket is not designed using software emulation. It is designed using a specialty hardware chip called an FPGA, which operates on a transistor level implementation of its functionality. 3Analogue Pocket does not operate utilizing preexisting bios files from any other entities. Analogue engineers everything from scratch, in house.
This looks sexy and sleek. Now to sign up for the updates.
O DROID GO. £50, get your nostalgia kicks then stop playing for months and just pick up every now and then. yes i know it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like this and doesnt play GBA but still, save your money. for £200 get a switch.
What is the point in the resolution of that screen if it is just for playing old game cartridges?
Haircut_10017/10/2019 09:03

Wait, who's paying £1000 for a Game boy(confused)

One sold for £1500 and another for £1700 or £1800 on eBay.
BuzzDuraband17/10/2019 08:40

I'm not 100% sure out of the box it will, if at all...1Analogue Pocket …I'm not 100% sure out of the box it will, if at all...1Analogue Pocket does not play rom files, it plays legacy game cartridges via the cartridge slot. 2Analogue Pocket is not designed using software emulation. It is designed using a specialty hardware chip called an FPGA, which operates on a transistor level implementation of its functionality. 3Analogue Pocket does not operate utilizing preexisting bios files from any other entities. Analogue engineers everything from scratch, in house.

Thanks for the info buzz. A bit gutting really, but this looks like a really nice device
antonio36917/10/2019 09:10

O DROID GO. £50, get your nostalgia kicks then stop playing for months and …O DROID GO. £50, get your nostalgia kicks then stop playing for months and just pick up every now and then. yes i know it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like this and doesnt play GBA but still, save your money. for £200 get a switch.

Right and for £200 when I buy this Switch, how do I insert my GB cartridges?
Edited by: "M0nk3h" 17th Oct
M0nk3h17/10/2019 09:22

Right and for £200 when I buy this Switch, how do I insert my GB …Right and for £200 when I buy this Switch, how do I insert my GB cartridges?

hey your money man! buy why would you spend £200 to play gb games? buy a o droid for £50. want to play on the tv, nvidia shield is £160ish plays most games up to N64. hell use you pc and play them all for free.GBA with back light looking at £50-£90. here to save money
I bought a gameboy advance and one of those back lit screens from aliexpress, it's really great playing all the old games I have plus as its original hardware, it's really well built, in all I payed around £50 for the gameboy advance and the screen and it's a good option for people who don't want to fork out the money for this.
darrenzo8217/10/2019 10:30

I bought a gameboy advance and one of those back lit screens from …I bought a gameboy advance and one of those back lit screens from aliexpress, it's really great playing all the old games I have plus as its original hardware, it's really well built, in all I payed around £50 for the gameboy advance and the screen and it's a good option for people who don't want to fork out the money for this.

Sound like a plan. I don't know how Nintendo got away with the advertising picture being this:
38685169-RaCiI.jpgWhen in reality is was so so dark even by standards back then.
Will be keeping an eye on this looks very interesting, miss my old GBA!
BuzzDuraband17/10/2019 08:40

I'm not 100% sure out of the box it will, if at all...1Analogue Pocket …I'm not 100% sure out of the box it will, if at all...1Analogue Pocket does not play rom files, it plays legacy game cartridges via the cartridge slot. 2Analogue Pocket is not designed using software emulation. It is designed using a specialty hardware chip called an FPGA, which operates on a transistor level implementation of its functionality. 3Analogue Pocket does not operate utilizing preexisting bios files from any other entities. Analogue engineers everything from scratch, in house.

They said the same with the previous products but brought out a Jailbreak Firmware soon after launch, i'm guessing the same thing will happen here - alternativly you could use an Everdrive.
antonio36917/10/2019 09:10

O DROID GO. £50, get your nostalgia kicks then stop playing for months and …O DROID GO. £50, get your nostalgia kicks then stop playing for months and just pick up every now and then. yes i know it doesnt have all the bells and whistles like this and doesnt play GBA but still, save your money. for £200 get a switch.

Crappy software emulation, no thanks, think I will pass.

These are not aimed at the same market, this is aimed at someone who wants to use something better than what software emulation can provide. For example I have lots of devices that can play SNES games via ROMs but nothing is as good as the Analogue Super NT, especially when it comes to audio and input lag.
Edited by: "Gormond" 17th Oct
Gormond17/10/2019 13:58

Crappy software emulation, no thanks, think I will pass.These are not …Crappy software emulation, no thanks, think I will pass.These are not aimed at the same market, this is aimed at someone who wants to use something better than what software emulation can provide. For example I have lots of devices that can play SNES games via ROMs but nothing is as good as the Analogue Super NT, especially when it comes to audio and input lag.

so buy a backlit GBA.
antonio36917/10/2019 14:11

so buy a backlit GBA.

I already own one (The AGS-101 is ok but not great by todays standards), and a gamecube (chipped) with the GBA player and HDMI out. Now all that would be over £200 (in good quality) and would still be second hand so being able to get something better new will be appealing to many.

For me the advantage will be the better screen and ability to play other consoles such as GameGear and Atari Lynx.
Gormond17/10/2019 14:29

I already own one (The AGS-101 is ok but not great by todays standards), …I already own one (The AGS-101 is ok but not great by todays standards), and a gamecube (chipped) with the GBA player and HDMI out. Now all that would be over £200 (in good quality) and would still be second hand so being able to get something better new will be appealing to many.For me the advantage will be the better screen and ability to play other consoles such as GameGear and Atari Lynx.

hey like i said earlier, your money man but for me at that price, not worth it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants