Groups

Mega Drive AV Homemade AV cable problems

Hia there.

I recently ripped the cable off an old keyboard with the big DIN plug.

Turns out that it will fit into the mega drive/genesis.

I have managed to get video to my tv using it (cut up an old RCA to RCA cable or RWY to RWY or whatever you want to call it)

Now my problem is that it comes up in black and white and scrolls, also keeps causing the TV to change from AV to S-video and back and forth.

I know this ain't the best forum to ask in the world but the response will be quicker and I'm sure someone'll know.

Tim

17 Comments

Banned

drop the mega drive

its crap

Original Poster

kapows;5815007

drop the mega driveits crap

do we really need to continue this rant lol?

We don't want to bring a retro console wars into the misc forum..

Tim

Ask Luke!

Original Poster

Abvance;5815040

Ask Luke!

lol..

Posted a comment on his latest video (the one with the testing the video output) - it gave me the idea in the first place lol!

Tim

Original Poster

lumoruk;5815099

you need to cut one of these … you need to cut one of these uphttp://www.play.com/Games/Xbox/4-/111949/Joytech-Auto-RF-Switch-Pal-I/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0&source=5063&engine=froogle_videogames&keyword=Joytech+Auto+RF+Switch+-+Pal+I+(XBOX)

To do an AV connection?

I thought the original AV cable for the mega drive was just a straight through DIN to AV leads?

Tim

Banned

timothyw9;5815107

To do an AV connection?I thought the original AV cable for the mega drive … To do an AV connection?I thought the original AV cable for the mega drive was just a straight through DIN to AV leads?Tim

whatever din is, I just remember my Master system having an RF cable.

Original Poster

lumoruk;5815123

whatever din is, I just remember my Master system having an RF cable.

The DIN port is the socket next to the the RF socket

Thats what I usually use. (although I just use a straighttrhough phone like plug to aerial plug - the seperate cable shown in that pic bascially))

The RF boxes on Master Systems were awful weren't they lol? Much better picture with a straighthrough cable.

Tim

Banned

timothyw9;5815177

The DIN port is the socket next to the the RF socketThats what I usually … The DIN port is the socket next to the the RF socketThats what I usually use. (although I just use a straighttrhough phone like plug to aerial plug - the seperate cable shown in that pic bascially))The RF boxes on Master Systems were awful weren't they lol? Much better picture with a straighthrough cable.Tim

Never had a megadrive that was for rich kids so couldn't say

Original Poster

lumoruk;5815203

Never had a megadrive that was for rich kids so couldn't say

lol.

I never had a mega drive back in the day either... lol..

I was born at the console death lol (and the n64, playstation and saturn's debut....)

I do remember my dad having a program (an emulator) with a load of games on it which were all mega drive on my old old old pc ..

Thats where I get my nostalgia from playing MD games lol.

I remeber when I got the Ultimate MD collection for 360 a few months back.. I instantly recognised Kid Chameleon whenI played it lol!

Tim

Original Poster

Perhaps it my TV?
    fixya.com/sec…ars

I do seem to have problems with NES/SNES as I have to keep on restting the consoles until they stop flickering... only happens on my tv,,,

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/megamstr.png

Have you done Pin 3 to the RCA centre plug and the outside metal bit to the shielding on the RCA?

Original Poster

Shengis;5815791

Have you done Pin 3 to the RCA centre plug and the outside metal bit to … Have you done Pin 3 to the RCA centre plug and the outside metal bit to the shielding on the RCA?

I think so yeah.

The wire in the middle of the rca lead and the corresponding wire on the DIN adapter are together and the shielding/grounding stuff that surrounds some of the wires is connected the shielding/grounding on the RCA lead..

Tim

Original Poster

I have managed to find the REAL video signal, but the problem is that the pin that the mega drive uses is the one that on a keyboard isn't used (pin 3 of a din connector!)

Does that basically mean I am screwed?

Tim

Banned

timothyw9;5817827

I have managed to find the REAL video signal, but the problem is that the … I have managed to find the REAL video signal, but the problem is that the pin that the mega drive uses is the one that on a keyboard isn't used (pin 3 of a din connector!)Does that basically mean I am screwed?Tim

don't know but searching "megadrive +din +cable" in google this thread is the first hit :whistling: underneath that is this guide

mmmonkey.co.uk/con…htm

lumoruk;5819156

don't know but searching "megadrive +din +cable" in google this thread is … don't know but searching "megadrive +din +cable" in google this thread is the first hit :whistling: underneath that is this guidehttp://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md-stereo-scart.htm

For what he's trying to do (by the looks of it) all he really needs is a few phono plugs, some wire and a 3 pin din plug. All available from Maplin.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk44
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions