Groups
    EXPIRED

Memory Foam Mattress

Basically after 6years now my SilentNight Argos Sprung one must finally be put to rest.

And since I no longer want to see mattress's as a (albeit long term) consumable I want to see if it's worth going foam.

20cm/8inch ones are about £400 which seems ok?

If know cheaper please post, thanks!

5 Comments

Word of warning with a foam mattress is that they do warm up, alright in the winter months but unbareable in summer.

If your unsure why not try a matress topper it's a fraction of the price of a new one and could be used with your current bed! My parents swear by theirs they live it think theirs is 2 3/4 in to 3 inch in depth. If you try local markets or eBay you will find them cheaper hope it helps x

There can be quite a difference in the foams used in mattresses. I did quite a bit of research before buying my last bed. You will find a long thread about mattress buying on MSE. Eventually I went for a pocket sprung mattress with memory foam on each side.... this was the recommendation of the 'expert' on MSE who actually sold them and it's been fine. I didn't buy from him though as I went to try one of the mattresses out first and bought from there. I think it worked out at about £500 for the mattress and base for a king size. It's so hard trying them out in shops as the real test is a full night on them.

Anyway - I am saying don't think all memory foam is the same and there does seem to be some logic in having a double sided memory foam mattress if you want it to last a long time. The sales pitch for the single sided ones is that you don't have to turn the mattress - but then only one side is being used. With a double sided you can turn/rotate in 4 ways instead of just the 2 with a single sided.

Original Poster

My current silent night already has a a nice pillowtop on it, I've looked after it so it looks nearly new just it's come under typical wear and tear

£140ish for 4inch foam topper sounds viable, although I'm wondering if I'd just be extending the life of what I have right now.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. laptop for editing 4k videos (3840×2160p 30 fps)11
      2. BBQ Lighter Fuel or Gel11
      3. Customs charged too much for a little item!67
      4. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1414

See more discussions