memory stick check virus etc

9 replies
Found 25th Oct 2016
I have received a memory stick from a client he is a computer expert of such. Without going into what I do, I can see this client being evasive, possibly destructive, and possibly like to spy on my work via a virus of sorts, it's unlikely but possible. I have requested financial accounts and been supplied them on memory stick by this person, is there a way to scan the memory stick safely before accessing the files. I only have basic software running such as windows defender, malwarebytes?

9 Comments

Make sure Windows Defender is set to scan USB as this is not a default setting
Also make sure that OS does nothing when plugging in USB - sometimes people will allow OS to do a specific task when a file type/action is recognised.
Once the above is fixed - it should be safe to connect USB
Windows Defender will then scan automatically (once complete) run malewarebytes
If all OK you should be safe

But, although time consuming, for extra security you should look at running a virtual OS

Don't click on any .exe files I'm guessing if its accounts it'll be a pdf file or something similar

Original Poster

philphil61

Make sure Windows Defender is set to scan USB as this is not a default … Make sure Windows Defender is set to scan USB as this is not a default settingAlso make sure that OS does nothing when plugging in USB - sometimes people will allow OS to do a specific task when a file type/action is recognised.Once the above is fixed - it should be safe to connect USBWindows Defender will then scan automatically (once complete) run malewarebytesIf all OK you should be safeBut, although time consuming, for extra security you should look at running a virtual OS

How to a stop the OS opening and running stuff off the stick please?

Original Poster

philphil61

Haven't read it all but check this linkHow To Prevent A USB Drive From … Haven't read it all but check this linkHow To Prevent A USB Drive From Running Anything Automatically In Windows

Thanks

Original Poster

potatokid

Thanks

running windows 8.1 I went into search and typed in turn off autoplay in the search and it gave me a slide on/off and then specific functions like what to do when I memory stick is added and I choose 'no action' I'm hoping that's going to work

potatokid

running windows 8.1 I went into search and typed in turn off autoplay in … running windows 8.1 I went into search and typed in turn off autoplay in the search and it gave me a slide on/off and then specific functions like what to do when I memory stick is added and I choose 'no action' I'm hoping that's going to work

Never used win 8.1 jumped from win7 to win10 and I don't have same issues as you but hope you are sorted

PDF can be used to infect with virus, if at all possible use non standard programs to open files.

For pdf I use Foxit Reader
For Excel I use LibreOffice.

You could also try the stick using a Linux operating system first; you can download a "LiveDisk" version, burn it onto DVD and boot from it, bypassing Windows entirely.

It depends how paranoid you are.

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

PDF can be used to infect with virus, if at all possible use non standard … PDF can be used to infect with virus, if at all possible use non standard programs to open files.For pdf I use Foxit ReaderFor Excel I use LibreOffice.You could also try the stick using a Linux operating system first; you can download a "LiveDisk" version, burn it onto DVD and boot from it, bypassing Windows entirely.It depends how paranoid you are.

thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?993251
    2. word association Game74244916
    3. Add one, leave one game54415442
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604813

See more discussions